All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS- D - how to slow bowel movements in the morning
      #314092 - 08/28/07 02:56 PM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

My daughter has been taking the Alcacia(sp?) (and prior to that Citrocell). She takes 2 tsp before breakfast and then 2 tsp before dinner and 1 tsp before bed. She goes 3 times every morning, at least. Has anyone had any luck of slowing it down when you first wake up and right after breakfast?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS- D - how to slow bowel movements in the morning new
      #314093 - 08/28/07 03:05 PM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

I take 1/2 in the am, 1/2 middle of the day 1/4 pm...and I have really improved my "D". Has the acacia improved it at all? Are the bm's more formed, less urgency? How does it compare to when she first started? She might need more...but I would go slowly.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

#314095 - 08/28/07 03:13 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What does she normally eat for dinner and evening snacks?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#314098 - 08/28/07 03:33 PM
yoffie

She eats pretty bland - lots of straight carbs at night, actualy through the day. Her bowels have not changed much from taking the acacia. we are going to bump up the before bed. last night she did go out and ate chicken and her stomach this morning was so bad and then she had an urgent attack after lunch which she really hasn't had in a while. could there be such a connection from bed time to morning?

#314101 - 08/28/07 03:58 PM
Jennifer67

I know morning for many is a bad time. I would like you said, think about either taking a bigger portion at bed time (same dose as you do now..just upping the bed time dose)...then up acacia to see if you can stablize her bm's.

--------------------

How old is your daughter and what dose did you start her on??? new
      #314104 - 08/28/07 04:55 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

That sounds like a lot of acacia to me. I started at 1/4 teaspoon a day. Then, in a week, add another 1/4 teaspoon. It could be that you may have increased it too quickly - which can cause problems.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: How old is your daughter and what dose did you start her on??? new
      #314128 - 08/28/07 08:45 PM
yoffie

she just turned 17 and was taking 1 gram of citrocell so she started on a half a teaspoon two weeks and worked her way up.

#314135 - 08/28/07 09:16 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

If reducing the amount of acacia she's taking doesn't help, I recommend taking 1/2 dose or 1 mg of Imodium the night before (or in the morning) as a preventative. Many of us have had doctors recommend this and it is safe to take for the long term. For most of with D, it didn't make us constipated, just firmed up and slowed down the bm. I just used it until I got stable.

#314161 - 08/29/07 08:17 AM
Jennifer67

Maria can I ask what was your norm before you were stable? What is your idea of stability? Thanks so much!

--------------------

#314165 - 08/29/07 08:36 AM
lalala

Jennifer --

I had D every day, multiple times a day, usually in the morning or after eating. It was either very loose or "chunky" or skinny, little bits. I also had a lot of cramping in my lower left abdomen and referred pain in my back. I've had IBS since I was 17, so for about 13 years now, with some years being better than others. I think having lupus somehow aggravated the severity of my symptoms and caused me to lose weight.

For me, stability is having a normal, painless bm once or twice a day, without urgency or cramping. Heather's diet has helped me stay regular, and I feel that a low-dose amitriptyline has helped with the pain. I no longer need to take Imodium, but during stressful, important events I might take 1/2 dose as a preventive since IBS is unpredictable. I still have an attack now and then, maybe every three months, although I've gone as long as eight months (more or less) without one. When I'm having a really bad attack, I'll usually take Imodium, use heat therapy, drink ginger or peppermint tea, and I also have anti-anxiety medication that works well as an anti-spasmodic. But those bad attacks are rare now, usually related to my menstrual cycle, and I can usually recuperate after just one day.

HTH.

#314199 - 08/29/07 12:46 PM
Jennifer67

Maria, thank you so much for your response. Your attacks sound like mine. You have given me some inspiration...Do you stick to the diet religiously? Eat any foods that are not on the diet? What is your typical day to day meal choices? Thanks so much!

How long have you been doing the diet? Thanks again!

--------------------

Edited by Jennifer67 (08/29/07 01:04 PM)

#314301 - 08/30/07 11:37 AM
lalala

I think I follow the diet pretty strictly. I've been following Heather's diet since December '04, but I haven't consumed dairy, red meat, or coffee since 1997. Those are three things I CAN NOT tolerate, even when I'm stable. Sometimes, I may have something that is high in fat, but not often and after a safe meal.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (08/30/07 11:41 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1993 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5508

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review