All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber amount
      #314075 - 08/28/07 11:29 AM
ladywalker0907

Reged: 01/30/04

I have a dumb question. Heather suggests working up to 4 tablespoons a day if you are taking a soluble fiber supplement, ie. Metamucil, Benefiber, etc. She also says you can stabilize at a lower amount. What is considered stabilzing? Also, is it possible to not need the supplement if you are getting the recommended grams of fiber through food?

Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber amount new
      #314076 - 08/28/07 11:49 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I have the same question -- such as, I do want to add in a bit more IF, so I should probably increase my acacia (SFS) a bit as well, but its tricky to figure out where to stop. Such a balancing act this IBS is

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#314079 - 08/28/07 12:12 PM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

In answer to your questions: My beleif is stabiling means when you don't have gas or bloating and when you BM are normal, thats when I feel stabilized. If I eat something 'wrong' then I get gas and bloating and more often than not, pain. My BM become pebble like and it takes a good couple of days to get my system back to normal.
You can absolutely stabilize trhough diet only, ask Syl, she takes NO supplements at all. Unfortunately I have never found the right combination for me without supplements. It depends what you are trying to correct. Mine was mainly gas, bloating and pain and also constipation. I take some supplements, ie the Acacia Fiber for gas and bloating and then magnesium for constipation. Hope this helps give you some idea..

#314083 - 08/28/07 12:56 PM
ladywalker0907

Reged: 01/30/04

thanks!!! i am IBS-D but it's very mild compared to most people. i find that if i stay away from the foods that bother me, such as fried stuff, dairy and tomato based foods, i'm just as "stable" on or off my benefiber.

#314129 - 08/28/07 08:48 PM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

do any of you have more of an issue in the morning with ibs-d and if yes, any luck slowing that down?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2672 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1693

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review