All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Psyllium Vs. other fibres
      #314 - 02/03/03 12:17 AM
emmab

Reged: 01/25/03

Hi!

I've noted that a couple of different people have said that psyllium is more likely to cause reactions than some other fibres. I tend to get quite bloated and full after taking it.
What are the other types?? I haven't seen the brand names you are talking about...I can only get Bonvit and Metamucel in Australia (both psyllium). I might be able to get the other stuff in bulk from a health food shop if anyone an remember what the fibre is called???

Also I saw a great looking breakfast ceral the other day made with oats and flax....has anyone had any bad reations to flax, sounds kinda insoluble fibrey to me

Emma

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Psyllium Vs. other fibres new
      #323 - 02/03/03 08:25 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi,
The name of one of the fibre types you mean is Methylcellulose. It's for example included in Citrucel as far as I know. In England there's a fantastic product called Celevac made of this Methylcellulose. It really is much milder on the system than Psyllium.

What you will probably be able to get where you are is Psyllium husk, it's a type of powder or also available in caplets. The Psyllium it's made of is from India. Psyllium husk used to give me some bloating and the effects were not very impressive. Here in Germany we've got another type of Psyllium, which is grown in France, and they sell the actually seeds - they are tiny and black and called 'flea seeds', and they are the absolute favourite of German IBS sufferers. You have to soak them in water and then they just go down with a glass of water, rather without any taste or feel to them. They have a tremendous effect against pain and cramping and also on BMs. I'm just telling you this, because while unheard of in the States, PERHAPS you may be able to get them in Australia and then they are definitely worth a try.

All the best

Susaloh

#324 - 02/03/03 08:40 AM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

Hello, Emma.

I started out with Metamucil but then switched to Citrucel and found that some of my bloating went away. Citrucel is similar to Metamucil in that it is a powder mix, but it is made of methylcellulose. I also tried Fibercon pills which are made of calcium polycarbophil because these have no sugar (remember I was the one you replied to about sugar and migraines). Fibercon is very convenient because of the pill form but a lot of people find it less effective.

I hope you are able to find something suitable in Australia.

#325 - 02/03/03 08:41 AM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Hi Emma,

I couldn't take citrucel at all, made my diarrhea much worse. Then I tried metamucil (psyllium) and it helped somewhat but not enough. Now I use Fibercon, which is Calcium Polycarbophil. It has done wonders for me. Much better than the others. Heather has also mentioned another brand, Equalactin, which I believe is also Calcium Polycarbophil. If you can get it, its worth a try!

Mary Kay

#328 - 02/03/03 08:52 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Susaloh,
Me again but about fibre this time. I live in Paris and would love to be able to get hold of the type of fibre you mention. Could you give more details?
Thanks in advance
Claire

#367 - 02/03/03 09:02 PM
KinOz

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi, I live in Aust. too. (in Brisbane) I didn't like Metamucil either but have found Benefiber to be great. It is hard to find stockists but my local chemist orders it in for me. Ask in your chemist, I'm sure they could do the same.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#374 - 02/04/03 08:16 AM
susaloh

Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi Claire,
I've just written a long message about hormones in response to yours and it got lost somehow!! Anyway, as to the 'flea seeds' you could try a pharmacy or health food shop and just give them the Latin name which is Semen Psylli tot. (tot probably means total, that is the whole seed, not the husk). If you need to describe them say they look exactly like fleas, same shiny black colour and size! Maybe that helps? If you can't get hold of them I can send you some to try (they're not expensive), there is probably some way of exchanging privat email addresses through this board). Good luck,
Susanne

Re: Psyllium Vs. other fibres.. Thanks every one!! new
      #419 - 02/05/03 02:04 AM
emmab

Reged: 01/25/03

Thankyou all!! I need to go do some shopping.

I should really learn how to spell too huh

#823 - 02/13/03 09:49 AM
Agony

Reged: 02/13/03

Does Citrucel have sugar in it? I've taken Fibercon, but just started taking the Citrucel to experiment. Yesterday, I purchased a box of Equalactin after reading about it on this site. Haven't tried it yet! Taking the fiber supplement is definitely helping me! But, I am still full of gas! Guess that's better than being out of gas!

IBS & GERD/Acid Reflux Sufferers new
      #824 - 02/13/03 09:58 AM
Agony

Reged: 02/13/03

I am so lucky! I also have GERD/Acid Reflux and gastritis. Some of the things that are wonderful for IBS aggrevate the Acid Reflux. Is there anyone out there who is suffering from both and how are you dealing with it? I just have a goofy gut all the way around! Would love to just be able to eat anything and enjoy it without fear of running to the bathroom or on the other hand having "smelly" embarrassing gas! Can't ever tell which way it's going to be! Therefore, I have panic attacks when I'm in social situations and prefer to stay home than go out!

Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review