All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
getting enough protein on an IBS diet
      #313945 - 08/26/07 06:17 AM
rachelcrozier

Reged: 08/26/07

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and new to IBS. I have not been medically diagnosed but I have suffered from IBS pain my whole life and have just started realizing why. As a kid, I ate an IBS diet just because kids seem to have a better idea of what they (and their tummies) like.

I was looking at the IBS food chart and I realized that most protein sources are trigger foods and I was wondering how people get enough protein? Is it just about eating small amounts of protein at one time?

Also, I've been trying to do an elimination diet to find out what triggers my particular IBS. I think that I'm ok with yogurt but than again, I've been bloated all my life so I'm not sure if it's good for me.

Is there a general rule of thumb about what works for you and what doesn't? My rule so far has been if there is no pain, it's ok, but I know that digestion is more complicated than that!

Thanks for your help everyone and by the way, this is an amazing site!!

Rachel

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: getting enough protein on an IBS diet new
      #313952 - 08/26/07 12:12 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I am new to this site and new to IBS. I have not been medically diagnosed
It's really safest to get a firm medical diagnosis. Since this has been a problem your whole life you almost certainly don't have anything like colon cancer but there are other chronic conditions that can mimic IBS.

I was looking at the IBS food chart and I realized that most protein sources are trigger foods and I was wondering how people get enough protein? Is it just about eating small amounts of protein at one time?
Egg yolks are a trigger but egg whites are fine and the white contains at least half the protein found in an egg. You can substitute ground turkey breast for ground beef in most recipes. All seafood is fine as are skinless chicken breasts. You may be able to tolerate nut butters in reasonable quantities. And some people get their protein from vegetable sources like beans and soy.

As for small amounts, overeating anything can trigger IBS attacks for some people and most IBSers do better if they eat frequently throughout the day so somewhat smaller meals/snacks are a natural result of that.

Also, I've been trying to do an elimination diet to find out what triggers my particular IBS. I think that I'm ok with yogurt but than again, I've been bloated all my life so I'm not sure if it's good for me.
Under Heather's guidelines, all dairy products are considered triggers.

Is there a general rule of thumb about what works for you and what doesn't? My rule so far has been if there is no pain, it's ok, but I know that digestion is more complicated than that!
Sometimes I react to trigger foods and irritants immediately, sometimes it takes a while. For me, the safest thing to do is stick to Heather's guidelines and if I do stray from them figure I'm cheating and will pay for it eventually. You might take a look at this old post for an explanation of why it's important to eliminate all triggers food to begin with.

Thanks for your help everyone and by the way, this is an amazing site!!
Welcome to the Boards. HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#313956 - 08/26/07 03:42 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Welcome to the boards! Sand just gave awesome advice. I would definitely read Recipes for IBS to give a good overview of the diet and isn't as convoluted as this website. I would definitely stay completely away from all dairy, beef, and fatty foods these seem to be the largest triggers for everyone.

It does take time to get used to the diet but you can certainly get plenty of protein with skinless chicken breasts and turkey breasts. It seems at the beginning that you're soooo limited but the longer you stick with it the more you realize how creative you can be. There are so many recipes and I generally take simple meals and just substitute where needed (like egg white only, soy or rice products instead of dairy etc.)

I kept a journal for three years to figure out my triggers. Hang in there - it is worth it to feel better.

Good luck,
Leigh

#313964 - 08/26/07 05:00 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I was going to suggest the same foods as Sand. I get my protein through ground turkey, turkey breast, chicken, egg whites and tuna.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#314071 - 08/28/07 09:46 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Protein is even harder when you're veggie. My protein sources tend to be the Barilla Plus pasta, some cheese (yes, I know it's a trigger, but I can't give up everything); a little soy and I think that's it. I was never really into eggs, so I'm having difficulty getting jazzed about egg whites (as a meal). It sucks that I've had to cut out soy milk. I started reacting too it in larger quantities. I have yet to be able to work back in any type of bean. The couple of times I've tried having been disasterous.

I've been following the diet (except for the 2 or 3 oz. of lactose free cheese) for about 4 months. Still waiting to find stable. Still p*ssed off for not eating all kinds of foods that I love and not feeling much better.

#314122 - 08/28/07 07:23 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I've been following the diet (except for the 2 or 3 oz. of lactose free cheese) for about 4 months. Still waiting to find stable.

Well, if you cut out the dairy completely you might get the results you'd like. I understand that you don't want to give it up, but there are some really tasty substitutes, such as almond cheese. You might also find that once you remove that trigger, that you'll be better able to tolerate foods higher in IF, such as beans and other vegetables. Anyway, I totally understand how hard it is to give up certain foods. I still dream about eating real cheese!

#314162 - 08/29/07 08:18 AM
IBSHell

I did cut out dairy completely for the first two weeks. Then tried cheese. Waiting a while. Tried it again. Had no reaction directly to it that I could see. Maybe it's a building up factor. But there's so many weird things, I know we're all different. Like I try to eat a banana every day. However, when I made Heather's banana bread, I reacted to it. And yes, it was the bread. I even tried skipping a couple of days and then having it again and every time, I had D.

I decided last night to try calcium carbonate. This better help or I swear I'll go crazy.

#314184 - 08/29/07 10:11 AM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

maybe if you stopped eating the cheese, you might feel better? i was vegetarian for 4 years and tried to go vegan many many times but could not give up cheeeese! So I ate some cheese with just casien in it but when I found out I had IBS i cut it out completely and its fine. Cheese (even vegan kinds) is bad for you anyways, a lot of artificial crap and preservatives. I TRY to stay away from those whenever I can. Things taste fine even though I haven't had cheese and I would eat cheese 5 times a day before! I guess I just don't think of things like "buuuh i cant eat anything" because in reality that attitude isn't going to do anything and I know thats not true, there are TONS of foods out there...with no cheeese!

and maybe your reaction to the bread was all the oil in it? maybe it was too much fat for you. have you tried replacing the oil with applesauce?

Edited by eyesofchina (08/29/07 10:13 AM)

#314185 - 08/29/07 10:14 AM
IBSHell

Are you still vegetarian? If so, where do you get your protein?

Re: question about protein from soy and C new
      #314441 - 09/01/07 06:12 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

For anyone who finds too much soy in one day causes constipation, do you find the same for other protein sources like tuna? Just wondering if it would work to sub one soy serve for tuna, but I already always eat salmon in the evenings... is it protein that constipates, or soy beans???

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15967

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review