All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: IBSHell new
      #315394 - 09/21/07 10:31 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I tried it once a while back (before my problems were really bad) and I didn't like it. But I did buy some. I'll give it another chance and try to spice it up to make it taste better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#315396 - 09/21/07 11:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There are a half-dozen quinoa recipes on the Recipe Board - maybe one will appeal to you.

One way to get egg whites down is to put them in smoothies. You can make a smoothie that ranges from mostly SF (rice milk, banana, peeled peaches) to more IF (throw in berries, for example) - whatever you can tolerate. You can then add dried egg whites which you can find in the baking aisle of your grocery store. (There are also egg based protein powders - I don't know anything about them but they've come up on the Boards before so you could do a Search and see what comes up.)

I'm going to second Maria on the cheese. I know it's awful to give up one of your few sources of protein but for me a food that bothers me doesn't always do so immediately so if you can find a substitute you like - like almond cheese - please do consider removing the cheese from your diet and see if that helps.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#315400 - 09/21/07 12:10 PM
IBSHell

Thanks. I'll look for the recipes. I'll also definitely try to find the powdered egg whites. I did finally make scrambled egg whites with toast and jelly and they were still disgusting to me. So the powder sounds like a great idea for smoothies.

As for the cheese, I'm going to hold off for a few week. I saw a new GI today. Even though he didn't know about this program, he was definitely more informed than my prior GI. He has prescribed Questran. I have thought of this before and I know it's helped a lot of people that have had their gallbladders removed. I've decided that to be safe, I'm not changing anything on my diet for the first two weeks to see what this new medication does. If it helps, but not as much as I want, I'll then try cutting out the cheese again and see what happens. If I could only be positive, then I would give it up as it's not worth feeling this way. But I've cut it out and added back in several times without any obvious difference. Maybe it is a long delay factor or a building up factor or maybe I'm not reacting to it.

I truly appreciate the suggestions.

Re: getting enough protein on an IBS diet new
      #315403 - 09/21/07 02:59 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I get my protein from soy and mushrooms. I also like to eat grilled salmon, whenever I can afford it.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315425 - 09/22/07 10:28 AM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I like imitation crab too- it is made from white fish- has almost no mercury and it's loaded with Protein- 2 sticks equals 9 grams (equal to a small chicken breast!!). To cook it- or not to cook it!! It's the perfect snack or meal. The brand I buy is called Kanimi Crab Smart. Make sure if you buy another brand that you read the label first- I got caught with Sorbitol in the last one that was on sale.

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

A thought about protein and beans new
      #315462 - 09/23/07 12:04 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There's a recipe on the Recipe Board for Black Bean Brownies. I haven't tried them but they've gotten good reviews and maybe the beans would be more tolerable well-pureed and wrapped in flour.

Black Bean Brownies recipe - Be sure to read the whole thread to see how to modify these

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Cast_Away new
      #315465 - 09/23/07 03:59 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Cast away - where do you get these?? in the freezer section? or a specialty shop??

Thanks!

#315482 - 09/24/07 02:54 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

This site gives you some protein ideas and helps you figure out how much you need.
http://www.vegancoach.com/foods-with-protein.html

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#315483 - 09/24/07 07:36 AM
IBSHell

Thanks for the link to the black bean brownies. It sounds disgusting, but the reviews are good. I've been afraid to try beans again (since I've had not good results since starting this diet), but completely pureed, mixed with other things, I'm willing to try again.

I also managed to find the egg white powder to add to smoothies.

And thanks for the link to the vegan site. I know part of why I'm so tired is that I'm not getting enough protein.

I had an absolutely horrible weekend. Stress IBS attack. One of the worst I've ever had. I just started the new medication. Given I switched to C with the last attack, the the new medication is supposed to prevent D, I decided to start off at a lower dose than my doctor recommended.

This post has been fastastic. I'm so glad that everyone shared their protein sources. I know a lot of people eat meat, but there were some really good suggestions for us vegetarians.

Re: Cast_Away new
      #315517 - 09/24/07 06:43 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I shop at Publix- which seems to be a Southern grocer- like Kroger is up North. They have a seafood counter and you can find it there.

Good luck! LJ

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 673 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review