All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My Husband Made a Suggestion Today.........
      #313817 - 08/23/07 05:55 PM
aworkman307

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Krum, TX

And I thought why not....I have been cooking for him as usal but have been changing the recepies to suit my IBS as well and have not said any thing to him...Well today he was in the kitchen as I was making lunch and he says what gives, what on earth are you cooking with...So I explained to him soy and tofu and whatnot and told him I have been using these all week...He is in love with the food...He wants me to open my own restraunt to catter to those of us who have IBS and why not??? Have you ever had a waitter look at you like a two headed cow when you ask if they have a soy based or vegan menu...So just thought I would get some feed back and see what everyone else thought...I get sick just thinking about go out to eat...But going out to eat at a place they was made for people like me WOW

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/aworkman307

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Husband Made a Suggestion Today......... new
      #313819 - 08/23/07 06:38 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

sounds like a fun idea!! Where do you live?

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#313821 - 08/23/07 07:02 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I love that idea! I would definitely go to an IBS-safe restaurant, and I know a lot of people who would as well.

#313823 - 08/23/07 07:14 PM
aworkman307

I live in Texas....but my idea was maybe not to open a restraunt but try and get some of the large chains to acceppt a menu safe for IBS'ers...I am deffeintly going to look into it...I'll keep you posted.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#313829 - 08/23/07 09:24 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

That is a fantastic idea! My b/f likes to go out to lunch (we work together) and I end up eating salads without any dressings on them. And most of the time my order comes in with cheese or something is fried. I get so tired of sending it back or having to ask them to cook it with substitutions or without butter...I get lots of dirty looks and I don't think waiters really want to work extra just to please me. Now I say very firmly that I am allergic to cheese or butter or milk (some people don't know what lactose intolerance means) and I say it in a very firm voice. That helps. I hate it when I'm really hungry and they bring me something with a surprise on a dish like spices or italian dressing with cheese in it. Eating out is a torture, so yes, I wish there were IBS safe restaurants out there. Great idea!

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#313832 - 08/24/07 01:48 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. There are some places now that are using soy cheese or soy milk, so that a start!

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#313833 - 08/24/07 03:41 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

That's too funny. My husband has said the same thing. My girls even came up with a name for the place. My thought is, why not.... think of all the people you could serve. Not just those with IBS but all kinds of food allergies. Good luck and let us know about the menu thing.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#313853 - 08/24/07 10:38 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Great idea!!! Don't forget New York!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: My Husband Made a Suggestion Today........for aworkman307. new
      #313861 - 08/24/07 10:52 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Sounds great to me too!! Please include Western Massachusetts (Northampton area)in your plans. I have just about given up going out to eat, because it is such a hassle and yes, the waiters look at you like you're crazy. Please let me know if you plan on contacting restaurants in my area. Keep in touch by writing a message in my guestbook on my website...
Angene

#313866 - 08/24/07 12:44 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am always telling my husband I want to open my open shop with health foods and sweets and stuff but we don't have the $ to do so maybe some day! I would love to eat at a ibs safe place with my family that would be Great good luck!
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas lactose intolerant

#313925 - 08/25/07 05:24 PM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

THIS would be amazing! I often think about just such an idea, and my sister is always telling me to open a restaurant. Let's keep pursuing this......Eating out is no fun!

#313938 - 08/25/07 09:02 PM
Laura Renee

Reged: 05/17/07

I'm all for it too!! I love the Food Network channel and frequently wish they would have a show that was dedicated to IBS. My boyfriend LOVES my Tofutti Sour Cream Chip Dip and my Soybean Butter. He thinks it tastes as good as the real stuff. I'd love to get it in a restaurant. Can you figure out how to make a dairy free Pana Cotta, Flan or other custard?? I'd travel to wherever you are just for that!!

#314003 - 08/27/07 11:44 AM
aworkman307

I haven't thought of it that way...But I will now add the food network to my list of contacts things are lookig cood for Applebees they seem to want to work with me and are talking about a new menu for people with stomach Senstivities....I want to incorporate are problems in to everyday life we work, we entertain, we have children all of which are stressful and eating out with the family or just freinds should be enjoyable not dreadful to the point were you want to lock yourself in your restroom, and sleep in the bath tub....So Keep your Fingers crossed all my fellow IBS'ers I want to help get us back into the main stream of life....I'm diving in head frist lets hope I can at least tread water.....Hopefully World Wide IBS safe Dinning.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#314012 - 08/27/07 02:32 PM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

I'd be willing to work with you on this. I actually had the same idea of contacting restaurants to get the word out about the need for IBS safe foods. Applebee's was a great place to start. I'm not currently working full-time, so would have a little extra time on my hands these days. Let me know!

#314041 - 08/27/07 07:54 PM
aworkman307

Right now I stay at home with my youngest child and my husband wants me here untill I can get my IBS under control...So for now I seem to have it under control but I do have a 2 yr old son so if the phone calls get to crazy I just might enlist you help...I appericate your offer.
Keep in touch my email is aworkman307@yahoo.com, I will keep you updated as to my progress.
Amanda
IBS-D, Serve Pain

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#314042 - 08/27/07 07:57 PM
aworkman307

Any one with any receipe suggestions or ideas I am complete open to any suggestions you might have. The more we offer these restruant cahins the better are chances our to make them see how many of us there are that are not eating in there restraunt.
Keep in touch, aworkman307@yahoo.com

Amanda
IBS-D
Serve Pain

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#314069 - 08/28/07 09:28 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Please don't forget about us that are vegegarians. We have even more limited choices. I would love to see some mainstream restaurants add tofu or be more flexible in changing ingredients. It can be horrible eating out. It's difficult to explain what you can and can't eat.

#314096 - 08/28/07 03:26 PM
aworkman307

I am trying to work out a menu that is as safe for our vegan eaters as well as those of us with IBS and any other stomach disorder...Right now a lot of research is going in tyo the planning of these menus from start to finish...I will keep everyone posted...and please feel free to email with nay ideas or concerns you might have, aworkman307@yahoo.com

Amanda
IBS-D
Serve Pain

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

Sounds great! Do your research REALLY well, though. new
      #314106 - 08/28/07 04:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm not sure that labeling it an IBS Restaurant might not be a wee bit embarrassing to walk into, but if you made it such that it was tailored to dietary needs....

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Sounds great! Do your research REALLY well, though. new
      #314107 - 08/28/07 05:20 PM
aworkman307

I am not planning on labeling it as such...I am working with chain restruant's such as AppleBees and so to make a menu safe for IBS'ers and people with food senstivites in general as well as a vegan based menu...But thnaks for your input any other suggestions are appericated as well, aworkman307@yahoo.com

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#314139 - 08/28/07 10:48 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

What kind of salads are you eating? I'm curious to know if they have an SF base?

#314178 - 08/29/07 09:40 AM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

This would be awesome, Amanda! Wouldn't it be wonderful to walk into a nice restaurant, knowing you could order your favorite dish and that you could say to the waiter, "Could you substitute veggie cheese on the salad and also on the entree, please?" and they wouldn't give you that LOOK! I think we all have thought about your idea hundreds of times, we've all had to send food back, we all dread going out to eat for the most part, and we need restaurants to take notice and realize we are patrons and deserve some kind of respect and compassion. I wish you guys the best of luck! If you need ANY kind of help just give me a call. I work part-time and would be happy to help out in whatever way I could. Again, good luck on a GREAT endeavor!

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

#314192 - 08/29/07 11:02 AM
aworkman307

Salads for me are limited but I do eat them...my basic salad has spinach greens, shrimp, avacoda and a small amount of a home made vingerette as well homemade curtons...No tomatoes as I have a very real food alergy to fresh tomatoes and have to go to the hospital when they are accidnetal consumed....Be sure and wash your spinach greens throughly to remove any trace of dirt you don't want to set down to eat a salad and taste a mud pie....I try to stay away from iceburg lettuce it seems to realy upset my stomach and always cause 'D'..I assume it is from the amount of water the lettuce holds and it is a little to hard for me. Good Luck

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

Just wanted to give an update new
      #314207 - 08/29/07 01:43 PM
aworkman307

So far I have spoke tp representives from Chillis, Outback Steak House, Applebees, the food network, marth stewart living, rachel ray, and yes even OPRAH for Dr. Oz...as well as pizza hut and dominos if I am missing anyone please let me know I will contact them as well....SO FAR SO GOOD...Any way keep those fingers croosed it looks like we might get ot enjoy eating out again......... I have sent request to many other places these are the ones who are responding so far....

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 993 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review