All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Should I still be scared to eat out?
      #313748 - 08/22/07 06:32 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

OK, so I haven't eaten in a restaurant in about 8 months. I'm not totally stable, but I'm doing pretty well. My job requires me to go to a lot of luncheons and dinners and I always skip eating (and I'm getting tired of explaing to people why I'm not eating. Of course I don't give them the IBS story, just tell them it's food sensitivities, allergies, etc). Anyway, is it normal to feel like you may never get the nerve to eat in a restaurant again?

My diet is very limited: hot rice cereal, sourdough bread, raspberries or strawberries, banana or one of the other breads, white rice, baked chicken or fish, ginger chews, almond butter in small amounts, rice chex and honeycomb. That's about it.

Is this an irrational fear? I'm really afraid that I'll end up really sick again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Should I still be scared to eat out? new
      #313758 - 08/22/07 08:08 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I don't think it is irrational. I'm scared also. I'm scared when I go out to eat (which we don't do very offen. Almost never.) I'm scared when I go to anyone's house. Even any of my family's house. I try to be very careful of what I eat and they aren't so much. You could always order dry toast, pasta with tomato sauce, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp or fish with white rice, lemonaide, deli sandwiches (without mayo or cheese), breads, fruit bowls, steamed veggies, some places have turkey burgers or an english muffins. That is all I got. Maybe others have some ideas. If you still don't feel comfortable just don't. Nobody wants to feel sick.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#313791 - 08/23/07 10:03 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Are you kidding me? I haven't been to a restaurant or any other outside eatery since March! Not only am I scared to eat, I'm scared to eat all of the safe things when I'm not at home. Today I at work I ate one of those Oatmeal To Go Breakfast bars from Quaker (the brown sugar/cinnamon flavor) and I did so only because I felt some kind of normalcy.

This too shall pass.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#313813 - 08/23/07 05:31 PM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

My neighbors invited my husband and I out for dinner this weekend. They were very considerate and asked where I would like to go. I called 3 different restaurants and asked a million questions about food preparation. 2 of the 3 places said they would cook a lovely meal for me knowing ahead of time what I needed to avoid. Needless to say I made a reservation and am looking forward to going out tomorrow night. These are higher end restaurants, so I'm guessing they would cater a bit more to their customers. I am a bit nervous, but am trusting I will be fine. I like taking care of myself and want to finally meet with some success with eating out since being diagnosed. In the past, the only dessert I've ended up having was a prescription medication for pain. Instead of snuggling up with my husband, I was lovin' the hot water bottle instead!

Wendy new
      #313854 - 08/24/07 10:40 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

You should really try to start eating more in the day. Set up a routine. Leaving your system empty promotes spasms and makes things even worse. You need a continual input of food to keep insides calmer. I know it's scary....but you can set up a daily routine and pick foods that are less scary. I have cream of rice and fruit for breakfast, snack on dry cereal, make homemade soups with bread for lunch. If I don't eat anything...I just get more C, more pain, and more trouble.

Just think about it, okay? You could start it on a weekend.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Check out this link new
      #313857 - 08/24/07 10:46 AM
Jordy

It's under IBS diet and recipes. how to eat Specifically, number four under tips and tricks.

--------------------

#313859 - 08/24/07 10:51 AM
Jordy

I haven't eaten in a restaurant or anyone else's cooking in about 4 years. I miss it...but it produces so much anxiety. I would love to be more socialable. Geez, I have to show up for Christmas after they eat. It's no fun.

--------------------

Re: Wendy new
      #313862 - 08/24/07 10:57 AM
BendeeWendee

You're right Jordy and I'm definitely working towards that. When I get my heebie jeebies (anxiety), I get nauseaus and so I don't get an appetite. Like today at 1:30 PM when the nausea finally went away, I ate my Oatmeal Breakfast To Go bar. Now I'm drinking water with Acacia 'til I get home and make dinner. Speaking of which,

I didn't feel like cooking yesterday and so I went to the fast food Chinese place and bought plain old white rice with plain old steamed chicken. It made me gassy and I had a BM and I don't know if my nerves made me do it or what.

What in the name of college football was that all about?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Those oatmeal bars may be a problem new
      #313864 - 08/24/07 11:21 AM
Jordy

Many people cannot tolerate oats...plus, the 2nd ingredient that is listed is high fructose corn syrup. They also contain margarine, whole eggs, and sorbitol! At least the one I looked up did. Look under the ingredients tab in the middle.web page
These ingredients can all cause problems on their own. I personally wouldn't eat this. Just an FYI.

--------------------

Re: Those oatmeal bars may be a problem new
      #313868 - 08/24/07 01:25 PM
BendeeWendee

Geez, now I'm really confused 'cause I got the Oatmeal Squares from the Brand Name Recommendations for IBS Safe Foods under Breakfast Cereal. Oh shiznit. Unless that means cold cereal. Aaaahhhh!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12700

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review