All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stool softener
      #313704 - 08/22/07 09:16 AM
sunny1

Reged: 08/22/07

I have had IBS for years but usually with more of a diarrhea problem. Now with more of a constipation problem, I am trying to decide if I should be using fiber supplements or a stool softener (or both). I am able to go every day but with difficulty. Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stool softener new
      #313709 - 08/22/07 09:53 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

i am ibs c and use both a fiber suppliment and a stool softener (miralax, one a day)

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#313717 - 08/22/07 10:31 AM
sunny1

Thank you--do you use powder or pill fiber and how much? Does it matter what time of day you take the softener? I have read where stool softeners should be used short-term--know anything about that? It's frustrating to go from a d-inclination to c! I'm not used to this problem so don't know how to deal with it. Thanks for the help!

#313754 - 08/22/07 07:40 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I use a pill fiber which i prefer; i take citracel: two after breakfast and two after dinner. I take my stool softner every morning and my dr told me that i could continue taking the softner without any problems. I have been taking both fiber and softner since May and i am finally starting to feel the difference.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#313789 - 08/23/07 09:27 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hi - I have had a problem with constipation and basically my system just moving very slowly. Then I get horrible pains. Even though I'm not completely constipated. This is all due to being pregnant. My dr. suggested Colace and I am taking that and have started Acacia again. It's really helped although it's strange because my problem is usually IBS -D. I haven't taken an Immodium in months!

#313806 - 08/23/07 03:02 PM
sunny1

Thanks so much for the info. What a help it is to get someone else's input that's already been there!

#313807 - 08/23/07 03:06 PM
sunny1

Doesn't it seem like if it's not one problem, it's another?? Just when I thought I had my system figured out, I started with the c problem. I've been resisting taking something for it, thinking it would straighten out by itself. Apparently not. Thanks for the info!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4046 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2003

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review