All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How has a stressful life situation effected your IBS?
      #313607 - 08/20/07 11:56 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I am wondering how many of you have had your IBS brought on by a stressful life event?
I have always had a sensitive tum, but in my current life, there is a distinct correlation between when I am stressed/anxious and how my belly is reacting. It's amazing... when I'm stressed and anxious I sleep less, am hungry less, and have way more attacks and flare ups. It doesn't really seem to matter what I eat... I can eat certain things when I am not stressed and feel great, and today, for instance, nothing sits well! ARG!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How has a stressful life situation effected your IBS? new
      #313609 - 08/21/07 04:43 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Stress totally affects my IBS. It's funny looking back growing up. Always got sick before a school play, concert, big test. Mom always said it was a sensitive tummy. Even now though that I'm a lot more stablized, when something happens the pain starts.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#313613 - 08/21/07 05:48 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I don't really have stress at work and/or in my life so I don't know how my IBS developed. I read that it can develop by a trauma to the stomach or by antibiotics. If so, then I fall in the antibiotics category. I get sick about 3 times a year with a cold and really bad sore throat. All I do is call my regular doc so that I can have a 5 day dosage of Zithromax for my throat. That's about 3 times a year. Maybe that's what developed my IBS? An endoscopy in July showed that I had some irritations in my stomach lining which is what was causing my Acid Reflux (my lining has since been repaired), but my IBS symptons started back in April-ish 2006. What I don't get is that if I wasn't born with it and it just came on, why can't I just turn it off?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#313614 - 08/21/07 06:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Stress can cause GI distrubances even in non-IBS individuals. A trival example is butterflies in the stomach.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#313615 - 08/21/07 06:14 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I recently found out how much stress affects my IBS. I went on vacation last week and came prepared with a prescription of Librax just for my trip. I never had to take it. We went on a cruise and once we got on the ship my stomach settled down. I literally had very few stomach pains, and this is coming from someone who had pretty bad stomach pains every day. Since coming back and being back in the stressful environment of my job and family situation I have stomach distress. D and slight pains as well as throwing up Sunday and Monday. I have tried to manage my stress but it is so hard. I have always been the type to get stomach aches before something stressful. When first married and my husband and I had bad arguments I would have to quit arguing since I got so upset I threw up. Not sure what I will do but it was made clear that stress has a lot to do with my stomach ailments.

#313662 - 08/21/07 05:38 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I am pretty sure that stress (after a traumatic event) was what originally caused me to have IBS symptoms (still not diagnosed...). Before that event, I could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I was a big fan of the occasional Burger King "beef" product and drank ample amounts of soda and coffee. I never had any adverse effects from these foods. I miss them so much!! Well, I don't really miss greasy/fatty food, but I most definitely miss cheese, yogurt, SALADS, and coffee... Dairy and IF veggies are the hardest things to give up!!
Now, without fail, whenever I am stressed (which is quite frequently) I have stomach cramping and D to deal with. I think that one day, when all my major stressors are gone, or I can manage them a bit better... my IBS will be gone!

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 631 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review