All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Constant nausea, tried everything, need help!
      #313555 - 08/20/07 01:31 AM
scarrlet86

Reged: 02/21/06
Loc: California

I've been diagnosed with IBS and GERD. Since I was a kid I'mve always had stomach aches. Now as a 21 year old I have daily nausea, sometimes extreme, and I'm at the end of my rope. I've tried meds, herbs, food, every remedy I know of and have found. I can't go anywhere without ginger, charcoal tabs, rolaids, bonine, sea bands, etc. I haven't been able to find much rhyme or reason to it, and I have found out that there is a wide spectrum of degrees and types of nausea. I almost never throw up, maybe due to the fact that I am phobic of vomiting (as if I didn't have enough going on). I am so sick and tired (literally) of this getting in the way of my life. I avoid going places and doing things because of my stomach and gut. the gut I can deal with mostly but the nausea is getting to me. It's starting to effect my personal relationships, my job, how much sleep I get, everything. I want to know why I am constantly sick (is nausea a symptom of IBS?) and if anyone else out there is dealing with something similar and has any new ideas. I'm getting desperate. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are you eating???? new
      #313557 - 08/20/07 06:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Because of your GERD, peppermint is probably not a good idea, unless you try Heather's peppermint caps.
Are you following the eating for IBS guidelines????
I would start at "What to eat when you can't eat anything." Eat from there for a day or two, and slowly add back very safe foods, one at a time.
The very best thing for nausea is ginger. Or chamomile.
Really, buy some gingerroot from the grocery store (it'll cost you about a quarter), and slice 2 or 3 pieces the size of a quarter and put in a mug of boiling water. Drink at least 6 cups a day. Lots of water, too. Not a lot at once - constantly sipping on it all day. I know a lot of my nausea came from the fact that I wasn't eating properly, or enough. So building your diet back slowly may help.
Let me know what you're eating and I'll see if I can make more suggestions.
And yes, I've been there. Nausea is the worst. Hang in there. It takes time.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Constant nausea, tried everything, need help! new
      #313619 - 08/21/07 06:56 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

I, too, have been diagnosed with IBS and "hyperacidity" in my stomach. I don't know if that means GERD or not, but I can relate to your problems. I can mostly tolerate the lower GI issues (I'm predominently C with occasional D) but the nausea has been the worst problem. I, too, have a phobia about vomiting and will do almost anything to NOT do it! Silly, I know, because I would probably feel better to get it out of my system and all that. But non the less I have this phobia. Anyway, I have found that ginger is the best thing for me. It's not always instant at working but the ginger aid tea will kick in for me after a little while. Also, I recently picked up some hard candies at the local health food store called Gin-Gins that are really good. I keep them in my purse and at work. Also good are the Ginger Chews from the same company. This company is called the Ginger People and have a web site: www.gingerpeople.com that you can purchase all kinds of ginger things from! Check it out and hang in there. I have missed work and numerous social events, as well as not being able to make plans because of the IBS and nausea issues. I've also been taking Protonix for a while (a PPI for acid reduction) which seems to help with the nausea for some reason. Hey, whatever works! I hope this helps and hang in there - you are not alone. I don't post alot on the message boards, but it is comforting to read them and know that you are not alone (or crazy!).

#313661 - 08/21/07 05:36 PM
scarrlet86

Reged: 02/21/06
Loc: California

Thanks for responding. I love Gin-gins! I buy a couple bags at a time, and I don't hesitate to share them with others. They do work pretty well, I'm never without them. I just wish I could figure out the root of my nausea so I wouldn't be so dependant on them. Nice to know I'm not the only one going through this, hopefully we find some answers.

#313688 - 08/22/07 06:15 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

What do Gin-Gins taste like? I get nauseaus in the mornings and throughout the day at times and because of it, I don't eat at all. Are they sweet? (I hope not 'cause that would just make me more queasy)

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#313691 - 08/22/07 06:45 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

The Gin Gins aren't really sweet, and they aren't a real strong ginger taste, either. The Ginger Chews have a stronger ginger taste, but I don't think they are too sweet, either. They may be worth a try for you. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review