Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need reassurance
      #313542 - 08/19/07 04:44 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

So this morning I had the worst D attack I've had in a long while. I hadn't had one like this since starting Heather's Diet. I'm not really sure what triggered it, and have been trying to piece together based on what I ate yesterday. I made myself a smoothie and it didn't have any SF fruits in it, which is different than my usual, but I didn't have any bananas. And I also drank it fairly cold -- I think that's a no-no? I also had a handful of frito chips at a friend's house, and I know they are high in fat. And I've been adding in more IF lately. So maybe all of this IF is what did me in? Any other D's out there find they have a major attack when they have too much IF? And what would that be considered in terms of ratio to SF? I know everyone is different, but I'm just trying to get some mental reassurance. I am positive that I didn't have any triggers, so it's a bit of a puzzle. Plus, now I'm a little anxious because as of tomorrow I begin school again (I'm a teacher) so I really need to make sure my IBS is fairly under control like it was before this morning. So any answers or comments would be really really appreciated, even if to just say "this happened to me" and reassure me that I can get back on track. Thanks so much in advance.

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need reassurance new
      #313548 - 08/19/07 05:40 PM
Alli32

Reged: 03/24/05

Julie,
I too am a D and don't do well with IF. So that could be it. Also, it may be the anxiety of starting school tomorrow....stress is my biggest trigger. I can follow the diet perfectly, but if I am really stressed, I'll have an attack. For tomorrow, you can take an immodium as a preventative measuer.

Good luck.

#313549 - 08/19/07 05:41 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Aw, I'm sorry you had an attack! I hate those out-of-nowhere attacks, but with IBS they do happen. I can't help but think that it could be the anxiety/stress of school starting back up that caused this recent attack. Stress is a pretty bad trigger. I've had random attacks like these, and I follow the IBS Diet guidelines strictly. But maybe they're not so random because they tend to happen just before my period and during times of high stress.

The good thing is that since you've been following the diet, you should bounce back quickly from this attack. I recommend taking some Imodium and taking it easy this evening.

#313562 - 08/20/07 08:35 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I'm a D too and I have been having difficulty adding back IF. I get gas and bloating most days, but I have dropped the frequency of D attacks with severe pain to about once every 4 or 5 weeks with Heather's diet(very strict, absolutuly no triggers) and the acacia fiber. The acacia fiber really helped the D almost immediately for me. I only take 1/2 a teaspoon twice a day. When I have an attack, I find that I can recover fairly quickly by dropping back to the BTC diet for a couple of days.

I start teaching again Sept 4th - I haven't had to deal with teaching and IBS yet - I was Dx in Feb, and my class had not come up yet till now. My class is in the am, which is a better time of day for me, so I think it should work out.

Try to keep your stress level down, and good luck!

#313595 - 08/20/07 04:47 PM
caputsky

Thanks so much for the responses! I think it was a combination of the too much IF and the stress of starting school again. I took an immodium yesterday, and today my stomach is doing much better. Knock on wood that it stays that way, lol. It's always good to have these boards to get advice and support and to know I'm not the only one IBS - always a mystery

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#313633 - 08/21/07 10:20 AM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I miss my Fritos. They'll probably be the last chip on the planet to come in baked. I had to break-up with the Fritos. I can't digest them- they're just corn and oil- FRIED. It's just plain baked tostitos for me now. If you are walking around stressed with clenched stomach muscles though- they never stand a chance.
Stay tough.

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

#313666 - 08/21/07 06:20 PM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi Caputsky,

I am sorry about your troubles...I have definetly been there. I find that getting up early before I have someplace "big" to be helps. To relax, sit on the couch with peppermint or fennel tea...maybe do yoga to help clear your mind and get ready for the day. I believe that telling yourself (and believing it)that you are ok really helps. It won't solve all your problems - but it will help calm your nerves a bit.

Also, could you please tell me who your quote is attributed to on your post? I really like it.

Thanks!

#313923 - 08/25/07 04:19 PM
caputsky

Hi Alyson,

Thanks for your responses -- its always reassuring to come back to these boards and have other people who know exactly how you feel. Makes me know I'm not alone.

The quote is by a man named Charles Swindoll. The valedictorian when I graduated from highschool had it in his speech and it stuck with me -- glad you like it!

Julie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 490 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2259

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review