All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
FOOD SENSITIVITY TEST
      #313209 - 08/14/07 03:00 PM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

Hi everyone, I have had a food sensitivity test done on monday and they found out, i am sensitive to WHEAT,EGGS,PORK and GARLIC. I havent eaten dairy for few weeks now so i think i might be sensitive to DAIRY as well, but am not sure, but everyone says that dairy is a trigger food so i am not eating it anyway. Well i wanted to ask if anyone had this test done before and what were their results? Has anyone tried to eliminate these foods from their diet and noticed an improvement? I have to be on this diet for 4 weeks and should see the improvement, well thats what i was told, so im gonna try it and see. I never thought it would be so difficult, i went shopping today and there is almost nothing i can eat. Everything contains wheat, milk or eggs. Its really difficult.
I would appreciate any comments on this.
Thank you very much

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Did a doctor prescribe the tests? - nt - new
      #313225 - 08/14/07 04:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Did a doctor prescribe the tests? - nt - new
      #313252 - 08/15/07 03:44 AM
zuzanka23

hi, no my doctor didn't prescribe the test. my doctor never helped me with my IBS. there is this shop where I live and they do this test in there. its quite expensive but I believe it. if u haven't tried it, u should. think u would be surprised what they can find.

What is the name of the test that was used? -n-- new
      #313257 - 08/15/07 05:40 AM
Syl

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: What is the name of the test that was used? -n-- new
      #313262 - 08/15/07 06:29 AM
zuzanka23

it's called food intolerance/sensitivity testing. not sure if u can find it in US or CANADA but u should be.let me know if u are gonna try it. it might solve some problems.well I hope.

#313265 - 08/15/07 06:42 AM
Syl

A recognized food intolerance/sensitivity test done by a doctor has a name. Was the test done by pricking your skin with a variety of solutions, was it done by doing blood tests, was it done by having you hold a vial in your hand or perhaps putting some wires at various places maybe acupuncture points on your skin (sometimes called the Vega test or an electrodiagnostic test)? The first two test are recognized medical procedures for determining food sensitivities/allergies while the later ones are unreliable and usually found in health food stores and other small shops. You can read more about the later test at web site

I have had food sensitivity/allergy tests done by using recognized medical tests. All of the tests came back negative.

--------------------

#313296 - 08/15/07 04:13 PM
zuzanka23

well the test was done by a machine, not sure what its called but could be a Vega machine. I have had blood tests done long time ago and they were negative. anyway, I had to hold something in my hand and the woman was pricking my finger with something that looked like a silver pen. maybe that test is unreliable but I do think that it answers some of my questions. I mean, my mother is coeliac and that might be why I cannot tolerate wheat. eggs are not good anyway for people with IBS and I have eaten sauces that were dairy free and contained garlic and I wasn't well after eating it. I also feel constantly tired and cold which could be because I'm lacking some vitamins. so I don't know. I am just hopeless now. I just wanna feel normal, like other people and not to worry all the time about this IBS. I think all the time what can I eat that is gonna be safe. I mean, I'm only 24 and I can't even go out and have a good time without being stressed out!

IBS when you are young is difficult new
      #313310 - 08/15/07 04:53 PM
Syl

IBS for a youg person is very difficult. My IBS started in my teens. The name for it then was spastic bowel and its cause was thought to be in your head. We are much further ahead now.

Unfortunately there are all sorts of individuals willing to sell you untested products and services - snake oil - to help manage your IBS. This is truely disappointing.

Have you seen a doctor and discussed your symptoms with him? If you have what tests have been done?

--------------------

Re: IBS when you are young is difficult new
      #313338 - 08/16/07 03:48 AM
zuzanka23

hi, well first I went to see my doctor because I've had diarrhoea for like 2 months every day and I had to take a sample of my poo and send it to hospital to see if it was an infection. that was negative. then blood tests to see if I was coeliac or intolerant to some foods, it was negative. they told me it is probably IBS and sent me for Colonoscopy. that was negative too so the doctor said its deffinately IBS and asked me I'd I have taken any medication or if I wanted to take something. well I said no because I take Loperamide Hydrochloride every day and it stops me from getting attacks but I can tell when I don't feel well because I get these cramps and feel awful. My doctor is not good at all and I was thinking of finding a good doctor but I have no idea where I can find one. I'm from the UK and I have no idea if there are any doctors that treat IBS.

Re: IBS when you are young is difficult new
      #313341 - 08/16/07 05:35 AM
Syl

Have you tried following Heather's IBS diet? You can start to read about it on this web page and in particular you might try her break the cycle (BTC) diet for a few days to see if things will settle down. There a lots of good tips on this web site in Heather's books.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1982 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26758

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review