All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
FOOD SENSITIVITY TEST
      #313209 - 08/14/07 03:00 PM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

Hi everyone, I have had a food sensitivity test done on monday and they found out, i am sensitive to WHEAT,EGGS,PORK and GARLIC. I havent eaten dairy for few weeks now so i think i might be sensitive to DAIRY as well, but am not sure, but everyone says that dairy is a trigger food so i am not eating it anyway. Well i wanted to ask if anyone had this test done before and what were their results? Has anyone tried to eliminate these foods from their diet and noticed an improvement? I have to be on this diet for 4 weeks and should see the improvement, well thats what i was told, so im gonna try it and see. I never thought it would be so difficult, i went shopping today and there is almost nothing i can eat. Everything contains wheat, milk or eggs. Its really difficult.
I would appreciate any comments on this.
Thank you very much

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Did a doctor prescribe the tests? - nt - new
      #313225 - 08/14/07 04:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Did a doctor prescribe the tests? - nt - new
      #313252 - 08/15/07 03:44 AM
zuzanka23

hi, no my doctor didn't prescribe the test. my doctor never helped me with my IBS. there is this shop where I live and they do this test in there. its quite expensive but I believe it. if u haven't tried it, u should. think u would be surprised what they can find.

What is the name of the test that was used? -n-- new
      #313257 - 08/15/07 05:40 AM
Syl

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: What is the name of the test that was used? -n-- new
      #313262 - 08/15/07 06:29 AM
zuzanka23

it's called food intolerance/sensitivity testing. not sure if u can find it in US or CANADA but u should be.let me know if u are gonna try it. it might solve some problems.well I hope.

#313265 - 08/15/07 06:42 AM
Syl

A recognized food intolerance/sensitivity test done by a doctor has a name. Was the test done by pricking your skin with a variety of solutions, was it done by doing blood tests, was it done by having you hold a vial in your hand or perhaps putting some wires at various places maybe acupuncture points on your skin (sometimes called the Vega test or an electrodiagnostic test)? The first two test are recognized medical procedures for determining food sensitivities/allergies while the later ones are unreliable and usually found in health food stores and other small shops. You can read more about the later test at web site

I have had food sensitivity/allergy tests done by using recognized medical tests. All of the tests came back negative.

--------------------

#313296 - 08/15/07 04:13 PM
zuzanka23

well the test was done by a machine, not sure what its called but could be a Vega machine. I have had blood tests done long time ago and they were negative. anyway, I had to hold something in my hand and the woman was pricking my finger with something that looked like a silver pen. maybe that test is unreliable but I do think that it answers some of my questions. I mean, my mother is coeliac and that might be why I cannot tolerate wheat. eggs are not good anyway for people with IBS and I have eaten sauces that were dairy free and contained garlic and I wasn't well after eating it. I also feel constantly tired and cold which could be because I'm lacking some vitamins. so I don't know. I am just hopeless now. I just wanna feel normal, like other people and not to worry all the time about this IBS. I think all the time what can I eat that is gonna be safe. I mean, I'm only 24 and I can't even go out and have a good time without being stressed out!

IBS when you are young is difficult new
      #313310 - 08/15/07 04:53 PM
Syl

IBS for a youg person is very difficult. My IBS started in my teens. The name for it then was spastic bowel and its cause was thought to be in your head. We are much further ahead now.

Unfortunately there are all sorts of individuals willing to sell you untested products and services - snake oil - to help manage your IBS. This is truely disappointing.

Have you seen a doctor and discussed your symptoms with him? If you have what tests have been done?

--------------------

Re: IBS when you are young is difficult new
      #313338 - 08/16/07 03:48 AM
zuzanka23

hi, well first I went to see my doctor because I've had diarrhoea for like 2 months every day and I had to take a sample of my poo and send it to hospital to see if it was an infection. that was negative. then blood tests to see if I was coeliac or intolerant to some foods, it was negative. they told me it is probably IBS and sent me for Colonoscopy. that was negative too so the doctor said its deffinately IBS and asked me I'd I have taken any medication or if I wanted to take something. well I said no because I take Loperamide Hydrochloride every day and it stops me from getting attacks but I can tell when I don't feel well because I get these cramps and feel awful. My doctor is not good at all and I was thinking of finding a good doctor but I have no idea where I can find one. I'm from the UK and I have no idea if there are any doctors that treat IBS.

#313341 - 08/16/07 05:35 AM
Syl

Have you tried following Heather's IBS diet? You can start to read about it on this web page and in particular you might try her break the cycle (BTC) diet for a few days to see if things will settle down. There a lots of good tips on this web site in Heather's books.

--------------------

#313348 - 08/16/07 07:17 AM
zuzanka23

hi, well I bought her book Eating for IBS but everything contains wheat in her recipes. I don't eat diary and wheat and eggs, well I only started few days ago but there is not a lot I can eat and I can't eat like this forever. I just find this all very difficult to cope with.

#313393 - 08/16/07 03:08 PM
Syl

Can you give us typical examples of your breakfast, lunch and dinner meals and snacks? What fruits do you eat? What liquids do you tend to drink?

Heather's diet does include wheat but it does not include dairy and eggs - well not egg yolks, egg whites are fine and they contain a lot of protein! As I recall in the UK you can buy liquid egg whites in a cartoon at Sainsbury's like you can here in Canada.

There are lots of people on the board that have wheat problems so you aren't alone.

--------------------

#313435 - 08/17/07 01:41 PM
zuzanka23

hi, well I usually have a banana first thing in the morning and then flapjack which contains chocolate chips tho, so it might not be good and I also have a glass of alpro soya strawberry milk. then when I'm at work, I have a rye bread with dairy free butter and chicken slices (similar to ham but made with chicken, no red meat). then I have another glass of alpro soya milk. then I get home and cook something, like today, I had a poached salmon and made potato chips in the oven. I used a bit of oil, so it might not be good. this is what I ate today. oh and I also drank 3 cups of peppermint tea during the day. I'm really bloated and can't stop passing gas lol. its a bit gross but I don't know why. I mean, I don't think I ate anything bad today?? oh I also had another banana in the afternoon. I don't eat wheat, eggs and I still seem to suffer. I still don't feel ok. why? I also want to thank you for all this help. thank you!!

#313436 - 08/17/07 01:52 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

For me, that would be too much soy and I would be quite uncomfortable. Have you tried fennel tea? This might help with bloating...

#313451 - 08/17/07 04:21 PM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Quote:

hi, well I usually have a banana first thing in the morning and then flapjack which contains chocolate chips tho, so it might not be good and I also have a glass of alpro soya strawberry milk. then when I'm at work, I have a rye bread with dairy free butter and chicken slices (similar to ham but made with chicken, no red meat). then I have another glass of alpro soya milk. then I get home and cook something, like today, I had a poached salmon and made potato chips in the oven. I used a bit of oil, so it might not be good. this is what I ate today. oh and I also drank 3 cups of peppermint tea during the day. . . . oh I also had another banana in the afternoon. I don't eat wheat, eggs and I still seem to suffer. I still don't feel ok. why? I also want to thank you for all this help. thank you!!

Zuzanka, a flapjack in the United States is a pancake made with wheat flour and eggs, and made with chocolate bits would probably mean that the chocolate is milk chocolate. Why not have a cup of cocoa and scramble some egg whites, instead?

I don't know how chicken is similar to ham, unless they are both soy-based, which would be ok by me. Pure white-meat chicken is okay, too, though not dark-meat chicken. But the rye bread! Have you read the ingredients on the label? Rye bread is usually made with wheat. I spent an afternoon in a regular grocery store's large selection of breads, and the best I could find was corn bread that had more corn than wheat (because the corn was listed first). Pumpernickel *may* have all rye in it. In the "Fresh Grocer," "Nature's Way" kind of stores, that have organic products, and more products with single ingredients, you may be able to find spelt bread, which does not have wheat. Or look for "gluten-free" bread, that takes out of the wheat the stuff that usually triggers celiac or IBS symptoms.

A lot of soya milks in the US have sweeteners added; that includes "organic dried cane juice" which is a fancy word for sugar. The soy milks I've been able to tolerate use a brown-rice sweetener, or no sweetener at all.

The salmon sounds delicious. Look at it this way--you are on your way to becoming one of the world's experts in diet and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)--and where to find the right stuff.

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

Hey zuzanka, am also from the UK new
      #313481 - 08/18/07 11:46 AM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

hey there zuzanka, I am a 23 (nearly 24) yr old female from the UK. I am from Leeds, whereabouts are you based? I am IBS-D with gas and bloating and have been controlling this with imodium, exercise (am a health freak anyway) yoga postiions and heather's diet since summer 2004.
I too used to eat rye bread (rye crackers= 'Ryvita') until I started the diet and ditched them completely. I now have 'crispbread' instead, which is golden in colour and is also gluten free (for my snacks between meals,) with dry 99% fat free crackers, which I buy from Morrisons supermarket. (look in special dietary section where they also sell gluten free bread etc)
I too practically live off chicken slices (have them on oatcakes at lunch, on tortilla wraps at lunch, and combine with crispbread for afternoon snacks.)
I used to only have alpro soya milk as my dairy alternative but with the whole gas thing I now have only a little bit with my porridge in morning (just a dash, the rest is made up with water) and then will have a soya smoothie (soya milk, some berries and chopped and peeled apple) for pudding after evening meal.The rest of the time I drink 'Rice Dream' rice milk (which I buy from Morrisons or Holland and Barrett in town) If there is none available then I will buy 'Provamel' rice milk (from Morrisons also) Rice milk really does make a difference to the gas and bloating, I also cut out other forms of soy that I used to eat such as Tofu and believe it to have made a difference.
Have you tried porridge in the morning? It is my basic staple and I have it with a banana and a sprinkling of linseed every day.
Grilled chicken breast is incredibly tolerable for me, (I cook it in morning and take a small handful wrapped up to go with SF snack for afternoon snack. I am GUARENTEED to have a BM when I eat this way) and my evening meal is always this or oily fish. (tinned salmon or sardines) with some grilled veg and SF such as sweet potato or rice. I used to only eat brown rice but now I do a 50/50 split of white and brown rice. If i choose to have the oily fish I know I will take an imodium afterwards, but this is a personal choice I make for myself as I find the health benefits of oily fish far outweigh the fact I have to take a little pill to deal with it. It is the only thing I have that is high in fat. The naughtiest thing that I do in terms of my IBS-D is not maintaining a proper IF/SF balance with my evening meal, as I always have lots of spinach with my grilled veg. I add half a small white roll along with my SF to deal with this.
I love my veg and fruit, always eating within the guidelines, although I know realistically that if I cut down a bit my D would probably be a bit better.
How are you in terms of lifestyle and mental health? A lot of people on here have highly recommended the hypnotherapy. I have eating disorders and am currently having cognitive behaviour therapy to try and change the way that I am so 'set' in my ways (for example, with eating) This is also to deal with my anxiety, deoression and low self esteem. I have chosen not to take an AD on numerous occasions as I feel that talking therapies are what I really need. I have my own personal reasons for not taking an AD, due to having a mother with very serious mental health problems.
Bananas are an absolute life force for me and it sounds like you have already picked up on that!
I also have a banana shortly before bed with nettle/fennel tea and a piece of dry toast and dry crackers. Careful not to eat too close to bed so you don't get acid reflux from lying down shortly after eating, but always find this night time snack works well for me. I do not go any longer than 3-4 hours without food or a snack, and I drink only water, soy and rice milk, nettle/fennel tea (and blackcurrant herb teas to spice it up)
Let me know if I can give any more advice. I don't tend to post on here very often but read the boards quite frequently.
Hope you are all ok out there
Heather (no, that really is my name!)

Re: A place to but wheat,dairy,egg free food new
      #313489 - 08/18/07 02:36 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Im gluten intolerant (celiacs disease) May I recommend www.glutenfreemall.com They sell many item that are wheat, dairy and eggs free.

Re: Hey zuzanka, am also from the UK new
      #313490 - 08/18/07 03:21 PM
zuzanka23

hi Heather!! I'm really glad you wrote to me!! you won't believe it but I'm from Halifax!!! which is I think so cool! I'm really glad there is someone who lives near me with the same problems like me! I take imodium every day cos I am quite scared to get diarrhoea at work or actually anywhere. I think if I stayed at home and was eating safely, I would probably be ok quite lol, but the anxiety just makes me feel really bad and I get stomach aches and then need to go to the loo. when are you going to be 24? it would be cool to chat somewhere else, maybe we could have these private sessions on msn lol, and try and help each other and stuff. I know it sounds well weird, but I'm just glad that you wrote to me and I can talk to someone who lives near. anyway, if u wanna chat then let me know. but its ok if u don't want to. oh and what oatmeal do u eat? or what porridge? I can't eat bread because I'm sensitive to wheat and eggs. I have to look in shops for more stuff like crispbread. well hope to talk to you soon!! thanks for replying!! zuzana

#313491 - 08/18/07 03:32 PM
zuzanka23

hi, thanks for your suggestions. well I did check the ingredients in that rye bread and its organic and wheat free. so I don't see, how there could be a problem. gluten free bread, well I tried that and then checked the ingredients and it contains egg, which I cannot tolerate. with that soya milk, u might be actually right, I never thought of checking the ingredients. I will check if there are any sweeteners. thank you!

#313522 - 08/19/07 07:42 AM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Quote:

hi, well I bought her book Eating for IBS but everything contains wheat in her recipes. I don't eat diary and wheat and eggs, well I only started few days ago but there is not a lot I can eat and I can't eat like this forever. I just find this all very difficult to cope with.

You sound very brave and energetic, to have searched out organic rye bread at this stage! I, too, don't eat wheat or eggs or pork. Mostly I invent simple things: mix a small can of tuna fish with hummus, or put hummus on a rice cake, for a quick snack. Things like that.

There's really a whole world of things to eat out there, just not what the [U.S.] food industry want to sell us to eat.

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

#314835 - 09/11/07 03:32 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi there! I'm from the UK as well (i live in Bristol). I have IBS C but my doctor did the same tests on me and diagnosed me with IBS. I think our doctors act much differently to those in the US. My doctor did refer me to an allergy dietitian who's put me on a wheat free diet. It is helping a little but i think i'm going to combine it with Heather's diet because i think i'll need the combination. HOw are you getting on with yours?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: FOOD SENSITIVITY TEST new
      #314845 - 09/11/07 05:35 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

My naturopath doc suggested food sensitivity test but I am afraid to take it now, especially because I'm not stable with my IBS. I pretty much know what triggers me: egg yolk, fat, dairy, spices, fried, brocolly, colliflower, caffeine, alcohol...

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315155 - 09/17/07 09:03 AM
zuzanka23

hi, i have been on the diet for a month now i think and i completely cut out wheat, i only eat rye bread and wheat free biscuits if i want something sweet, dont really eat pasta now, but i eat loads of potatoes, i dont eat dairy either, i competely gave up wheat, dairy, pork and eggs and garlic. I was feeling quite ok, i still get stomach ache when i need to go to toilet, but i havent felt the weird feeling in my gut when i thought i was about to have a diarrhoea. So i think its a bit better then i was before. I unfortunately couldnt resist, and had a bit of wheat, because I was out all day and came home starving and my mum cooked dinner for my brother and she made chicken nuggets which contained wheat, well i was starving and ate it. Few hours later i got such a bad stomach ache and thought i was gonna spend all night on the toilet. I also take immodium every day, so i didnt go to toilet, but the stomach ache was awful and im not eating wheat never ever again. I think i really shouldnt eat wheat. I think i can tolerate dairy a bit, but not a lot. I think you should deffinately go for that test, its interesting to see what they find. And you can see if they find some food you thought you could have tolerated. Well its up to you but let me know how you doing.
Good luck
Zuzana

#317198 - 10/23/07 12:58 PM
zuzanka23

i feel like giving up. i try to find more and more things about ibs, i read loads of books and everywhere i find more and more things. now i have read that soya is difficult to digest, therefore not good for us. I hate soya cheese soo much i just feel like puking. i miss cheese soo much, i loved cheese and havent had it for months. its just soo annoying this ibs. i wish someone would find a cure. I think people in US have it soo much easier, because there is so many people with IBS, there are loads of products available. I cant even buy Acacia tummy fiber, cos i havent got Visa card and cant order it. I cant have a normal life, boyfriend, nothing and i just wish i was normal. dammit. thanks for reading this lol

#317203 - 10/23/07 01:37 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Sorry you feel this way! I know what you mean, sometimes it's better just to take your mind off all the IBS information and try to listen to your body and figure it out yourself. Just wish it didn't take so long
I don't think IBS is easier here in the US - at least there isn't HFCS in almost everything in the UK. It's getting almost impossible to find stuff sweetened with sugar here, unless you buy organic. I think IBS is tough wherever you are!
As for internet shopping - see if you can find the acacia somewhere where they also accept paypal, that way you don't need a credit/debit card. I've seen it on ebay occasionally (Heather's brand).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#317209 - 10/23/07 03:17 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Zuzanka, i'm sorry you're struggling so much. I can sympathise as i live in Bristol and it does seem like there are many more food options in the US than here and better healthcare. I've had the worst summer due to IBS. Like you, i've read lots about IBS and alot of it has been conflicting information. Unfortunately it is just trial and error. I think you need to try out one theory for 3 months, if that doesn't work then try out another one for 3 months, etc. This website does seem to have the best diet info though. Personally, although it's different for everyone, i've found that following the EFI diet combined with cutting out wheat has worked wonders for my IBS. But i'm IBS-C and from what i've read cutting out wheat isn't necessary for IBS-D folks. But it is trial and error and it's taken me 8 years to get to the point where i'm beginning to truly understand what's good and bad for my IBS. My IBS hasn't been constantly horrendous for the whole of this period. I've had good times and bad and i'm hoping that i'm reaching a more permanent good time with my IBS. However, i've only been feeling stable for about 2 weeks so it could all go bottoms up any day now!!!

Ultimately, i think IBS sucks for everyone who suffers with it. It's just a case of learning what works for you and how to manage it. Once it is more manageable i think it's easier to be stronger and not get as depressed about having IBS. That's what i'm hoping anyway!

Hope you feel better soon. Persevere, it'll be worth it

PS I miss cheese too!!! And chocolate...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: FOOD SENSITIVITY TEST new
      #317248 - 10/24/07 08:40 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I found some Yummy cookies at the Health food store the other day. They are called KinniTOOS vanilla creme sandwiches. I think they had them in chocolate too. There not oreos but you can make due. They are Gluten free, Wheat Free, Dairy/ Casein Free, Egg Free and Trans Fat Free. Here is the compnay name Kinnikinnick foods. Maybe you can google search them. Hope this helps for a treat..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: IBS when you are young is difficult and ANYONE TRIED CITRUCEL???? new
      #317661 - 10/30/07 10:41 AM
zuzanka23

thanks for advice, i have been on a diet for at least 2 months now and it seems like nothing but for me it seems like forever. I am trying to find different food all the time, but the choice is terrible lol. Anyway, i have bought Citrucel because Heather says its good for people with IBS but now im scared to take it lol. Has anyone tried Citrucel??? the tablets i mean.

#317672 - 10/30/07 12:53 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I take two in the morning after breakfast and two at night after dinner

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#317673 - 10/30/07 12:58 PM
Zara

I use the tablets when I travel. I take 2 tables 2-3 times daily without problems.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#334712 - 08/17/08 12:28 PM
zuzanka23

Zara, are u still using this forum? ive noticed you are from the Czech Republic. If you read this, let me know, please. thank you

#334713 - 08/17/08 12:56 PM
Zara

Ahoj Zuzko , yes, I still read here although I've actually been trying to keep myself from coming here too much. I feel like being on here all the time makes me think about my IBS even more. However, I'm also afraid that one day someone would post about a great cure and I could miss it. Vicious circle !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Hey zuzanka, am also from the UK new
      #334726 - 08/17/08 04:12 PM
IBSrunner

Reged: 07/25/08
Loc: California

how are you doing now did those changes help?

--------------------
IBS-C Gas and constant Bloating

totally understand new
      #334869 - 08/19/08 11:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Ahoj Zuzko , yes, I still read here although I've actually been trying to keep myself from coming here too much. I feel like being on here all the time makes me think about my IBS even more. However, I'm also afraid that one day someone would post about a great cure and I could miss it. Vicious circle !

reading keeps me focused on the IBS life. But I keep reading! I guess there just isn't a great cure. EVERYONE seems to be different and it's usually not the same "cure" for everyone.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26757

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review