All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
endoscopy
      #313130 - 08/13/07 02:44 PM
tired of it 1

Reged: 08/06/07

Could anyone tell me if they have had an endoscopy to help diagnose IBS? If so how bad was it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: endoscopy new
      #313133 - 08/13/07 02:50 PM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Hey there tired of it,

I've had an endoscopy.I had mine the same day I had an colonoscopy. Mine showed that I had GERD and a hiatal hernia.
The test itself is not bad at all because you are asleep. The prep is the worst part.

Terry

#313135 - 08/13/07 03:02 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hey,

I've actually had two of them. The first one was done independent of a colonoscopy, while the second was done with the colonoscopy. From the first one, I can say that due to the drugs they put you on, you won't feel or remember what happened. Also, if you are just having an endoscopy done without a colonoscopy, the prep is not bad at all -- I believe they just make you fast for a certain period of time. Anyway, I hope that is helpful!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#313137 - 08/13/07 03:05 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Not bad at all; sedation only and fasting as prep. I remember coming-to dribbling but that's about all!

#313156 - 08/13/07 05:59 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hey tired of it 1 (I'm tired of it 2!), I had an endoscopy done in July and I was a nervous wreck only because I had a bad experience with the anesthesia administered for my colonoscopy. It turned out, per my GI doc, that the drugs used in the hospital where I had the colonoscopy were cheap drugs, and the anesthesia for the Endoscopy were much better and would not make me sick (damn, I wish I could remember the name of it).

Anyways, for the endoscopy, you just need to NOT eat or drink anything after midnight before the procedure. My endoscopy revealed that I had about 6 lacerations in the lining of my stomach resulting in Acid Reflux. You'll be ok and good luck!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#313159 - 08/13/07 06:57 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

Not bad at all. The colonoscopy was the poopy one (pun intended). They warn you that you might have a sore throat afterwards, or that you could have internal bleeding from being poked, but I didn't have any such problems. Not a bit of soreness! Good luck!
I'm still waiting for the results of these tests... Still haven't actually been diagnosed with IBS.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#313168 - 08/14/07 03:12 AM
tired of it 1

Thanks BendeeWendee, I have never been so frustrated over something in all my life. i am waiting to hear the results of the lactose and gluten blood tests, then it is off for the endoscopy. I think my anxiety is making this "d" a alot worse. Thanks again and have a good "tummy" day.

#313169 - 08/14/07 03:14 AM
tired of it 1

Love the Seinfeld quote, that show is one of my all time favorites. Let me know on your results....good luck!

#313170 - 08/14/07 03:16 AM
tired of it 1

Thanks for answering. I appreciate it greatly. After everything I have experienced I guess I can handle a little "dribbling"

#313171 - 08/14/07 03:18 AM
tired of it 1

Hi Terry, how are they treating your GERD and hernia?

#313177 - 08/14/07 05:37 AM
tc2004

You know one of the things that some Drs. do is if they can't make alot of money off your case then they don't fool with you and in my case this Dr did just that he didn't do anything about it he just gave me a read out on them and that's it, guess it wasn't one of his top priority's. But I am going to ask another Dr about it. I hope everyone else had better luck than that.
But again the test itself is easy.

Terry

#313180 - 08/14/07 05:53 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Terry,
I dissagree, I had a doctor see me and treat me one time. I was very sick with my crohns at the time loosing weight and my hair. I didn't go back to see him for a good 4 or 5 months because we couldnt afford to see him. We didn't have insurance at that time. We went back for the fear of me dying. He then waved his fee. He waved his fee for the rest of the time he was my doctor. (we moved 4 yrs later) Even after we got insurance he waved his fee. He got me feeling better. He never made me pay for medicine either. He got me samples and even paid for my remicade treatments, out of his pocket. He was a wonderful man and I give thanks for him every day.I think there are wonderful doctors out there, you just have to find one. Since moving I have had to go to three doctors to find one that listens to me. Its like a puzzle you have to find the right fit. I hope your new doctor will listen to you and give you the attention that you need.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#313315 - 08/15/07 05:59 PM
Strixowl

Reged: 05/26/06

Not bad at all,tired of it 1. I've had a number of them over the years (both with and without colonoscopy). The first ones were bad (20 yrs ago), but so much better now. Last one was a breeze. You'll do well Really!!

#313462 - 08/17/07 08:10 PM
tc2004

Melanie,

You're right not all Doctors are like this, just so happened this one was. My old regular Dr was very nice about it all and tried to help, but this one is (was) a gastro Doctor. I expected more out of him.

Terry

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1571 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3288

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review