All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cholesterol numbers a mess
      #313012 - 08/11/07 01:42 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

A couple of weeks ago I started back on the IBS diet in earnest and it's a good thing I did. I have been having the return of pain and diarrhea but here's what my blood work had to say about my wondering ways.

When I began this diet 3 years ago I had really high cholesterol and within 3 months it had dropped 60 pts. My doctor was thrilled since I can't take the cholesterol meds without serious side effects. I have strayed from some of the diet principles in the last 6 months and my cholesterol has climbed 40pts! Some of the culprits were cheese (can you say PIZZA!), red meat (meat in spaghetti sauce & pork), and the biggest of all, fried foods & processed sweets. Those sweets contained whole eggs, dairy and of course fats. My doc said to pull myself back together and get back on my IBS diet! Fortunately some of the good habits I formed stayed with me. For instance no caffeine, rice milk, fennel & peppermint teas, plenty of soluble fiber basics and Acacia. When I began this journey in 2005 within 24 hrs I was pain free and in a couple days the diarrhea has ceased and gradually the panic attacks didn't rule my life. I look forward to the same results this time and the added benefit of dropping my cholesterol. I'm grateful to Heather for providing the road map she designed for people like me to find a better path for IBS treatment.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cholesterol numbers a mess new
      #313032 - 08/11/07 06:25 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Did you know cholesterol is only made in the presence of fungus? And that statin drugs, that are used to lower cholesterol, are really antifungal drugs? That's why they work....they kill the fungus, thereby reducing your cholesterol levels. With that in mind, I'm wondering if natural antifungal supplements...you know, the ones that don't have harmful side effects like presc. drugs.....might be something you can ask your doctor to try. Olive leaf extract or caprylic acid are good ones to start with. Just a thought. Also, reducing sugar and grains will help too.

#313043 - 08/11/07 08:49 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Thanks Kim, I had never heard that before. I'll ask my doc about it when I go back.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Mistaken? new
      #313050 - 08/12/07 05:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I think you may have mistaken Nystatin an antifungal drug for Statin a cholesterol lowering drug.

Nystatin binds to the fungal cell wall causing it to leak and the fungus dies. Statin drugs inhibits an enzyme making it easier for the body to get rid of LDL decreasing cholesterol levels.

These drugs are unrelated to each other. There is no relationship between fungal infections and the level of cholesterol in your blood.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Mistaken? new
      #313063 - 08/12/07 11:03 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Actually, statin drugs used to be antifungal drugs. This is what I understand about cholesterol and fungus , and I am no doctor nor pretend to be one:
Fungal toxins in the blood stream cause elevated blood cholesterol. Cholesterol binds fungal toxins, rendering them less harmless.Rid yourself of the fungus and your body doesn't need the excess cholesterol. One researcher who found this is Dr. Constantini, from the World Health Organization. My simple understanding of it all is kinda the same as I found in the following article. I only include it as a source of information on the topic. I guess you can ask your doctor more about it, if it is something you want to investigate further.... that's all. Good luck!

http://www.bioactivenutrients.com/StatinDrugs.html

#313317 - 08/15/07 06:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

This diet is awesome for IBS and is very healthy for everyone! My cholesterol seemed high when I did a nonfasting test 3 years ago and I was angry -after all I pretty much eat no cholesterol. Then the next year I had a fasting test and found that my bad cholesterol was under 100 and my good was well over 100- off the charts! I have some cholesterol issues in the family so I am very happy. It feels good just to have a clean conscience.

I am glad to hear you are doing the diet again. It is important to never go that far off the wagon. It makes it harder to get back. Most foods (excepting pizza) can be made safe and taste very close to the original.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1433

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review