All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
incomplete evacuation & pencil thin stools
      #312729 - 08/07/07 11:14 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Does anyone know what causes this...and more importantly, how to help the stop it or control these very annoying (and painful) sypmtoms?

Seriously, I have cramps all day because I can never get a "hunk" out of me.

I take Miralax, Natural Calm, and I'm trying to take the Acacia. Do I need to stop one or increase one?

Why does IBS have to be so unpredictable? Just when you think you've experienced every type of symptom, a new and unpleasant one occurs.

I'm normally IBS-C?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: incomplete evacuation & pencil thin stools new
      #312764 - 08/07/07 04:41 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I don't know anything about the miralax or the natural calm, but I would be VERY careful with them. The best things for IBS are here - Acacia, peppermint caps, peppermint tea, etc. As for the stools, nothing about IBS is predictable, as you said. It's one of its worst curses, I think. Hang in there. Try keeping a food diary. Also, are you just starting the acacia? Read the directions on how to start. Make sure you increase GRADUALLY and in SMALL amounts, otherwise, you may end up with more... surprises.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#312769 - 08/07/07 05:26 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Jordy. I was the same way as you and sometimes it would look like it was something that my 2 year old niece would make. I would feel no relief and when I was done I'd be like, "that's it?" and when I'd look at it, I'd practically had to stick my head in the bowl to find it! That's how un-Hunk it was.

So I've been taking the Acacia since Friday, July 27. I started at 1/2 teaspoonfuls everyday, twice a day. For the week proceeding, I was going about every other 2nd or 3rd day and it was un-Hunk size. By the middle of the 2nd week, I upped the ante by 3/4 teaspoonfuls everyday, twice a day. On Sunday the 5th, I had a Hunky BM. Still doesn't look like what my norm used to but I was thrilled at the size of it. (Ok, TMI but you all understand.) Since Sunday, I've been having a BM everyday at around the same time and it's Hunky.

For anyone else out there, should I up the ante this Saturday to a full teaspoon everyday twice a day?

Good luck Jordy!

P.S. Totally off topic: I've since taken up watching shows like Cops, Inside American Jail, Police Worse Videos, etc., because somehow, subconsciously, I feel like the inmates are worst off than I am.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: Goat Cheese new
      #312771 - 08/07/07 06:20 PM
Iris

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Redmond, WA ; in winter stay in Hawaii

What about eating goat cheese...has anyone experienced problems with non-cow type cheeses?

Iris Hurwitz

#312773 - 08/07/07 08:02 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Skinny stools and incomplete evacuation are due to spasms in your colon and common in IBSers. The only way to stop them would be to manage your IBS, which it sounds like you're trying to do. If you haven't changed anything (supplements) in a while, maybe these spasms and symptoms are due to stress or hormones or lack of sleep.

As always, if you're really concerned and this is a new symptom for you, go see your doctor.

#312777 - 08/07/07 10:11 PM
rlb

Reged: 07/29/07

i had that problem the entire 6 months i was on Miralax. I hated Miralax and I think it also gave me bad gas. From my experience, I would stop the Miralax and stick to the Natural Calm and Acacia... but I'm not sure because I'm still trying everything out myself. I really think that the Miralax caused incomplete evacuation and pencil thin stools multiple times per day-- sooo very frustrating.

I've started taking Calcium/Magnesium as well, with Natural Calm at night and Acacia in the am... does that sound okay ? ? I've been able to have BMs, but usually a bit hard.

#312811 - 08/08/07 12:54 PM
sun

Reged: 11/26/06

i am getting the same. i never had this before so bad, i've had cramps and pain. but not this bad and i've had the rabbit poops and not feeling complete..but not this bad it just came out of the blue...my poops now are thin and small not so hard but it hurts when it happens.
i am just taking fiber 6 tsp ..2 before each meal. and some magnesium for my ibs and have been for a while,i have not changed anything.

--------------------
ibs-c,gerd,small hiatal hernia ...thank you for the board and for helping me with my questions.<3

#312868 - 08/09/07 06:09 AM
Jordy

Thank you, Yoda.

I have slowly increased the Acacia. I increase by 1/4 tsp a week and I'm currently up to 1 3/4 tsp twice a day. I don't know if I should decrease or continue to increase or what.

Do you take an SFS?

--------------------

#312872 - 08/09/07 06:30 AM
Jordy

First...no such thing as TMI here. We need to just talk about poop. who else is gonna wanna here about what our poop looks like.

I'm glad the Acacia is helping you. You are going up faster than I. But you had a "hunky" BM at 3/4 tsp a day, twice a day? I'm taking twice that amount and I still have this painful, unnatural, constant string of poop.

I can't help you with your question, as I have no clue what I'm doing! Hope someone can help both of us.

--------------------

#312875 - 08/09/07 06:34 AM
Jordy

Thanks Maria. I did not know that the skinny stools were caused by spasms. But that makes so much sense. Would an antispasmodic help? I'm afraid it would increase the C. I do take peppermint caps, but my spasms must be too strong for it.

Yes, it has been a very stressful time....which just happened to be when this symptom became worse again. This is good news, because it gives me hope that if the stress passes....so will this current symptom. Thank you!

Ya know what I just thought of...this hot humid weather may be playing a role too. I know that is the worst weather for my IBS and I don't have AC.

--------------------

Maria new
      #312876 - 08/09/07 06:34 AM
Jordy

Do you take an Acacia or any SFS? Just curious.

--------------------

#312877 - 08/09/07 06:35 AM
Jordy

I don't think anyone on Heather's diet eats cheese of any kind. Wouldn't it still be dairy?

--------------------

Miralax new
      #312880 - 08/09/07 06:42 AM
Jordy

Did your symptoms begin at the time you began the miralax? You never had them before starting Miralax?

I have mixed emotions about miralax. At times, I think it is a "miracle" that has helped more than any SFS. The commercial says it's not suppose to cause gas, bloat, or cramps. That's why I thought it might be a better choice for me than an SFS....and the Miralax does help me get something out of me, at least...even if it's this undesirable way.

You haven't been the first one to say that Miralax hasn't agreed with them. It seems people either love it or hate it.

Have you pencil thin stools, incomplete evacuation, and gas improved since you stopped the Miralax? How much Acacia do you take in the am?

I cannot give you advice on your regime, unfortunately...as I am confused too. I really wish I could offer some help. I hope we can both learn what works for each of us!

--------------------

#312881 - 08/09/07 06:43 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I've never had any problems with goats cheese- all other dairy is a problem for me though.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#312882 - 08/09/07 06:45 AM
Jordy

We are total twins!!!!!!!!!!

Did this start for you when you started your fiber supplement? Or were you on Miralax too?

I wish us all hope....if you find a solution, please, please share, sun. Do you take any other supplements? Perhaps yours is due to stress, as Maria suggested?

--------------------

#312887 - 08/09/07 07:10 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I know what you mean- i've got the same and i'm normally IBS-C. I usually get it though when i'm taking too much magnesium. So maybe you should reduce the NaturalCalm?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#312955 - 08/09/07 05:45 PM
BendeeWendee

I've been eating Veggie Slices cheese in both mozarella and cheddar flavors. Not too shabby. Also, I'm up to 1 teaspoonful 2x a day. I don't see how I'll be able to fit it in 3x a day so I'm going to remain at 2x a day.

Wendy<---recent hunky pooper

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#313057 - 08/12/07 08:53 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

I have no problems with goat cheese either - thank goodness because I love it!

But that being said - I try not to eats tons of it. I think that is why I don't get sick off it...I just have a little of it.

BrendeeWendee new
      #313716 - 08/22/07 10:30 AM
Jordy

I you still able to have "bulky" stools? Mine are thinner than ever.

--------------------

Re: BrendeeWendee new
      #313719 - 08/22/07 12:18 PM
BendeeWendee

My hunky hunk days fell to the wayside. After posting that I was having hunky hunks, about a day or 2 later, everything went back to what it was like before I started acacia, the diet, etc.

I've now been at 1 teaspoonful of Acacia 2x a day for about 2 weeks and I don't want to up it 'cause I don't know what'll happen. I guess I'll have hunky size on some days but I can tell that they start off norm and then convert to smoothie. Some days I have mini hunkies--about 2-4 in one BM--like what's that all about?

I don't know if this is true or not and maybe someone can verify it, I was told that healthy stools float in the water and nonhealthy poopies sink. Mine sink, regardless of hunkie or not.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#313723 - 08/22/07 12:46 PM
Jordy

I forget...do you take Natural Calm or Miralax or anything besides the Acacia? I know your scared to increase it...but I you never know. I increased to 4 tsp a day...and think I did better at a lower dose. I'll most likely stop it altogether. It doesn't seem to be helping that much, I don't think.

Does your doctor give you any help with what do to do help this IBS?

How is your first week of work going?

--------------------

#313739 - 08/22/07 04:29 PM
BendeeWendee

All I do is the Acacia powder, 1 teaspoon 2x a day. I also drink Fennel tea every night with the 2nd teaspoon of Acacia. I'll probably increase it by another 1/4 teaspoon next weekend which is a long weekend (Labor Day). I can't say that I follow the recipes in the book because a lot of the recipes I don't like or I'm allergic to. I have made some of the recipes and they were tasty. I have changed my diet to soy, vegan, etc.

The last time I saw my GI doc was on July 27, I think, and it's when he told me that all my symptons lead to IBS. He then gave me a "You Are Not Alone" pamphlet and pointed out this website to me. I've not spoken to him but I do have to call him and tell him how I feel since I've finished my medication for the Acid Reflux.

To tell you the truth, a lot of the unsafe foods are actually safe for me, or so I think. I'm brave on long weekends when I'll eat a bit of red meat or fry something up and it doesn't bother me. However, if I were to do that during the work week, my panic/anxiety/mentaldweebself will probably get sick 'cause I start putting it in my head that I shouldn't have done that and so on.

My first week of work is going the same way as it did before I took the 3 weeks off. Only this time I'm more knowledgable about this whole IBS thing. I still get weird/queasy in the mornings and by around 3ish PM I start "calming down" and then I'll attempt to eat my breakfast! Yeah, at 3 PM! My goals are to complete a full week, every week, and that means not leaving early 'cause I'm sick and not calling in 'cause I'm sick. If I could win the lottery, I'd call in rich.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#313749 - 08/22/07 06:45 PM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

I wish I could have a "normal week" too! I feel like a lazy ass cos im always calling off or complaining or leaving early and I know everyone at work hates me because I sit around all day but I dont mind because I know its not my fault. Thankfully my boss is very leinent (SP?) about calling off but I want to find a new GOOD job but pft how is that possible when I need to take a few days off out of nowhere every week? No one is going to deal with me being so unreliable. And how can I manage the stress of starting a new job when sometimes I cant manage the stress that goes with going to the one I already have!

#313777 - 08/23/07 06:55 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I am IBS - C and I have actually found less is more of the Acacia for me, I know that is strange as C'ers usually need more fiber than less but too much actually gave me more problems instead of good -- I am on just 1/2 tsp twice a day.

Maybe you guys are on to something new
      #313780 - 08/23/07 07:11 AM
Jordy

I think I may back off on it. How did you figure out more was bad for you? What level did you get to and what were your new symptoms that made you back off the dose amount?

--------------------

Re: Maybe you guys are on to something new
      #313781 - 08/23/07 07:17 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

For me it was totally by accident --- I was running out of the Acacia (I was on about 1 or 2 Tablespoons per day) so I had to cut back or I would not make it until the next batch came in the mail so I was using a lot less and within about 3 days I noticed that my symptoms were improving not getting worst.

#313785 - 08/23/07 08:14 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

This is really interesting. I am IBS-C, pain predominant, and have a lot of pain with trapped gas, probably due to adhesions. When I first started the diet and Acacia, I felt much better. But I was slowly building up the Acacia, so only taking teaspoons. Now I'm taking about one and a half tablespoons daily (in three separate doses). At one point, I was taking 4 tablespoons, and reduced this as I thought it was making me gassy. Perhaps I need to cut down even more? I eat a fair amount of SF, anyway.

#313790 - 08/23/07 09:56 AM
BendeeWendee

When I got to 3/4 teaspoonfuls of Acacia twice a day, I was having a BM everyday. When I upped it to 1 teaspoon 2x a day, I was having a BM every other day which is how it kind of was before I ever started any kind of diet, tea, powder, etc. (Actually, before I would go within 3 sometimes 4 days--I'm IBS C). I'm sticking to 1 teaspoon 2x a day for now.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#313839 - 08/24/07 07:15 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Right - I'm going to cut right back to 1 teaspoon twice a day. I seem to be C all the time at the moment, so it can't make things worse!

Maybe this was a coincidence new
      #313852 - 08/24/07 10:35 AM
Jordy

But I cut down from 4 tsp to 2 tsp a day and this morning I had a BM that was about a yard long! Can you say relief? How do you spell relief? BM!

I hope I didn't just jinx myself. It had to have been a coincidence, right?

--------------------

Rio and Wendy new
      #314060 - 08/28/07 06:31 AM
Jordy

How ya doing on your 2 tsp of Acacia a day? Better than when taking more? I am having problems again, so I guess reducing it wasn't the sole answer for me. I thought I had finally find some sort of corolation. Maybe I'll just go without SFS altogether.

--------------------

Re: Rio and Wendy new
      #314073 - 08/28/07 10:39 AM
BendeeWendee

This is my 3rd week of 1 teaspoonfuls 2x a day. When I was at 3/4 2x a day, I was having a BM everyday. Kind of hunky, not my norm, but better. When the following week I upped to 1 teaspoon, I reverted to having a BM about every other day, which is sort of where I was before I started any kind of new diet or additions of fiber, etc. I'm still on the 1 teapsoon 2x a day and will be there for quite a while.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#314081 - 08/28/07 12:34 PM
Jordy

Have you considered going back down to 3/4 tsp 2x a day? If you were going more at that? I'm so confused.

--------------------

#314086 - 08/28/07 01:24 PM
BendeeWendee

I'm confused too! When I was at 3/4 2x a day, I don't know if by having a BM every day was a fluke as I was NEVER an everyday kind of person. But then again, since I'm practically fasting throughout the day, I may not have a BM to have to do which is why I probably go every other day. On the other hand, I reverted back to every other day a week before returning to work and I was eating 6 little meals throughout the day. See my confusion?

I'll probably revert back to the 3/4 2x a day.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#314155 - 08/29/07 06:37 AM
Jordy

I have been eating less, and also noticed I am more constipated and my BMS are not bulky ever anymore.

I think I've decided to stop the fiber altogether...but for some reason I can't stop putting it in my food! I think it's because I worked so long and hard (months) to reach the amount I had reached! I would just have to start all over again if Not using it isn't the answer.

--------------------

#314166 - 08/29/07 08:38 AM
BendeeWendee

I hear ya. Maybe that's why our BMs aren't hunky because we're not eating a full day's worth of meals. I'm off this Friday and coming Tuesday so I can relish in the holiday weekend (not that I'm going anywhere and I'm for sure that I'm going to miss my cousin's yearly cookout in Connecticut). Anyway, I'm going to create a document with 7 day menus--maybe that'll help me out. And I'm going to only use Heather's recipes. This morning, I had D and I don't know where that came from being that I've been eating the same thing for 3 days. I tell ya, I feel like I'm heading up the river in a boat with no paddle!

I'll keep the Acacia thing going 'cause I figure I need to have fiber in my diet regardless of this bastardly IBS or not. 1 teaspoon 2x a day. That's it.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27725

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review