All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Food Tolerances
      #312699 - 08/07/07 06:53 AM
heatherrenee

Reged: 04/23/07

Hi everyone,

When I was on Zelnorm, I could cheat a little by having dairy but I had to take a lot of Lactaid; I also could handle anything that had oats in it, small amounts of caffiene, and small amounts of fatty foods. Now that I have been off of the medication for 4 months now, and just taking the acacia fiber, I have noticed that everything makes me sick. I can't have anything with oats or any kind of dairy (even with Lactaid) or any food high in fat without getting nauseous and having terrible pains in my abdomen. The other day my husband and I ordered pizza and I had to pull off all of the meat and cheese - I used to be able to at least eat the cheese! Has anyone else noticed that their food tolerances have gotten worse? I'm considering having the doctor put me on something again...I can't take this much longer - I hate being sick all of the time.

Thanks for your time,
Heatherrenee

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food Tolerances new
      #312714 - 08/07/07 09:34 AM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Yes, I am having this problem, and it has accelerated over the last couple of years. I have recognized a gluten intolerance, and am trying to completely eliminate all gluten...ditto dairy, but my newest intolerance is fruit. One peach can blow me sky high! Even blueberries, which are supposed to be safe for fructose intolerant people. Pizza is as edible for me as molten lava-the oversalted gluten-grease-dairy mixture is deadly! And I lived on the stuff as a teenager. My food options, if I want to put on any non-baggy clothes, is limited to blended vegetable soup. Of course I don't stick to this one meal (ugh!), so I'm constantly bloated.

I took a course of Rifaximin, which helped somewhat-I am not as HUGELY bloated as before, but it's still a problem. I recently cut out the Acacia Fiber, and the bloating improved a little, but not the C. Never the C. I wouldn't be me, without the C!

#312740 - 08/07/07 12:23 PM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

I don't know if I am food intolerant...but I get the terrible kick in the abdomen pains too! I was having "d" episodes...and got on acacia. Now, I get those pains, and they do make me nauseas.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

#312762 - 08/07/07 04:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If you're feeling that ill, I would go back to a strict regimen on the EFI diet. That means NO dairy, high fats, etc. Also, try that what to eat when you can't eat anything page under the EFI guidelines, and lots of strong hot peppermint tea. For nausea, lots of ginger tea. Slice a few pieces of gingerroot the size of a quarter or so and put in a mug of boiling water.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#312802 - 08/08/07 10:06 AM
heatherrenee

I have been doing a strict diet; absolutely no trigger foods - I even avoid food that has any kind of dairy in it or else I get really sick. I drink lots of peppermint tea and I eat ginger chews whenever I feel nauseous. It seems that I can't eat anything anymore...I'm getting really frustrated!

Thanks,
Heatherrenee

#312803 - 08/08/07 10:12 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Where can I find ginger chews. I get nauseous at times too but that's due in part to the anxiety. Thanks!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#312828 - 08/08/07 04:21 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hang in there! We've al been to the point where we feel we can't eat anything without getting sick. I would go back to zero - lots of soluble fibre foods. Then slowly add really easily digested fruits and veggies. Also, plain seafood and chickcn and turkey breasts (low fat) are great with a little garlic salt or a few seasonings on the BBQ. Smoothees, applesauce,, bananas, mashed peaches, mangoes etc. are all good places to start. The more easily mashed the better. Think of cooked broccoli or cooked peaches. Which mashes better? Peaches - they're the way to go. The more it can be broken down the better. Also, lots of sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, - all so easily mashable. They're also great starts. Get these foods introduced one at a time in small portions. Once you get these few bases, they are nutrient champions. You'll worry less and feel better. Then you can add more difficult to digest insolubles.
So: Start with:
applesauce
bananas
mashed/cooked pureed peaches, berries, sweet potatoes, carrots,
Try some fresh cooked/pureed fruit on your pancake in the morning. Or some sweet potatoes (vitamin champs) with a TOUCH of oil and some honey. YUMMY!
Nutritionally, these are all nutrient champions. As I said, then you'll feel well enough to diversify. And it probably won't always be like this. I've been stable for a long time, with the odd flare ups where I still can't eat anything. But at least now I know what to do to get back on track.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#312866 - 08/09/07 05:59 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

. I recently cut out the Acacia Fiber, and the bloating improved a little, but not the C

I may have to stop my SFS too, because of this bloating and the gas and pain. My question is, what do you replace it with in order to "go"?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#312888 - 08/09/07 07:23 AM
heatherrenee

I order them online, from the "Ginger People" website.

#312890 - 08/09/07 07:28 AM
heatherrenee

Thanks Yoda. I appreciate your help.

It's also at Trader Joes new
      #312892 - 08/09/07 07:32 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

if you live near one! Or, Whole Foods and Wild Oats sell it in bulk section of some stores.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#313059 - 08/12/07 08:55 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

I don't use ginger chews because I don't like the taste but I did try ginger capsuls(sp?) and they worked great!! I drove cross country and popped two capsuls every few hours and didn't get car sick once!! You can find them at whole foods or GNC.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1510 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review