All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
medication for IBS
      #312630 - 08/06/07 07:48 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

anyone else on meds for IBS? my GI just recently put me on Levsin which is an antispasmatic. It's safe to take up to 4 times a day and you are supposed to take it at the sign of trouble. It can take up to an hour to work. If the problem is the big D, usually it's gone within an hour. If it's gas, which it usually is, it's an all day thing. So I decided to take it every morning. I was taking it 4 times a day and the gas was no longer an issue. But, I was finding that for 3 days I wouldn't be able to go and then horrible D! So I was taking it just once in the morning, with not much help, still D. Knocked it up to twice a day and I'm on day 3 of not going to the bathroom and I'm nervous that any second I will be running to the bathroom. Any ideas? Anyone have similar problems?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: medication for IBS new
      #312731 - 08/07/07 11:17 AM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

Hello! I take Levbid 3 x a day (currently I don't, because I'm pregnant) due to my IBS-D. Levbid and Levsin I think feature the same antispasmodic properties. At night, I take one Belladonna (it causes me drowsiness).

The Levbid never caused me constipation--it definitely helps with the cramping and frequency of my BM. Perhaps your dosage is too high for your body & needs to be adjusted. My first round with the Levbid left me still suffering from the D because it wasn't strong enough. How long have you been taking the meds?

--------------------
IBS-D!

The very best thing for bloating is.... new
      #312765 - 08/07/07 04:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Fennel tea. I would try drinking that throughout the day. I also discovered that if I stuck to the diet, and avoided all triggers, my gas greatly decreased. Also, you will come across some IF that you are more likely to react to. For me, it's whole wheat. Terrible gas and cramping. Everybody is different.
For diarrhea, peppermint caps are also great, and make sure you chop peel, mash and puree and cook all insolubles. Eat them carefully with lots of SF to avoid the D and inevitable gas.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: The very best thing for bloating is.... new
      #312784 - 08/08/07 02:55 AM
saraUK

Reged: 07/26/07

I find fennel tea very soothing and great for gas and bloating too but find it very inconvenient- I boil water and pour it over the seeds, but at work this is very messy and just not possible- anyone know if you can buy teabags? if so are they as affective?

#312789 - 08/08/07 05:09 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Sara, you can buy oure fennel tea from health food shops and some big supermarkets. I got mine from one of the big tescos. The brand i get on with best is Dr Stuarts.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#312795 - 08/08/07 07:47 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Heather sells fennel tea bags. I buy them all the time from the website

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#312796 - 08/08/07 08:05 AM
saraUK

oh thanks Sarah (I'm half welsh!) will check tescos -Sainsburys is pretty useless for things like that. just ordered some online -and it was Dr Stuarts- luckily they don't charge p&p but will check Tescos next time.

#312810 - 08/08/07 11:48 AM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

Hey there, I am in the UK too (north of england, yorkshire) and I buy my nettle and fennel tea bags from Holland and Barrett (health food shop). Do you have any H and B stores near you? There is pretty much always one in a city centre. 50 bags=£2.10, I think, but I often get them on special offer anyway! Can not imagine life without fennel tea, as I am IBS-D with gas and bloating. No matter how skinny I am (from over exercising, I also suffer from eating disorders) I always look like I have a pregnant tum!

#312814 - 08/08/07 01:34 PM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

I was taking both versions of Levsbid - the sublingual and extended version. I didn't like the side effects, so tried Donnatal extend tabs. I currently take them when I feel an attack coming on, which seems a bit too often these days. Will this ever end?

#312823 - 08/08/07 02:58 PM
Pud

well my Dr. gave me the Rx about a month ago. I have stopped taking it consistenly because I am afraid of the horrible D I get. Dr. said to take it when I start feeling crumby. How fast does it work? I was taking it as a premptive strike! Really the big d is only a problem once or twice a week usually. It's the gas and bloating that haunt me EVERY DAY!!! It's horrible. It makes me not want to eat, and then I skip meals and it's horrible!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#312824 - 08/08/07 03:24 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Hi - know the problem well and one day I came across an item here on the website called GasStop by Renew Life Formulas - phone 1-866-450-1787 or visit their website at
www.renewlife.com Cheers, CMB

#312856 - 08/09/07 02:53 AM
saraUK

oh will have to have a look -yes have a H&B near me. I know what you mean, I look at people who are bigger than me but have flatter bellies- it's not fair! it's great in the mornings then it gets bigger throughout the day. I've tried pills from Boots but they don't do anything!

For all who find fennel effective.... new
      #312864 - 08/09/07 05:53 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do they really help you? I haven't found that fennel has helped with bloating...but others seem to have. How often and how many cups do you drink a day?

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#312874 - 08/09/07 06:33 AM
Pud

does it work well? do you take it every day?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review