All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
milk and eggs
      #312507 - 08/03/07 08:45 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I tested negative for lactose intolerance and negative for milk allergy, but I seem to have a problem with it anyway. I have read that many IBS'ers cannot tollerate dairy because it is hard to digest. What about eggs? I am not sure if I am having a problem with them or not, because it seems as tho no matter what I have an issue. I tested negative for an egg allergy. Are eggs usually safe for IBS'ers or is the fat content too high?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: milk and eggs new
      #312509 - 08/03/07 09:52 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Egg yolks are bad but the whites are ok.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#312511 - 08/03/07 09:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Egg yolks are on the list of trigger foods and should be avoided - just like dairy.

You might find it helpful to review the information on Heather's dietary guidelines outside the Boards.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#312514 - 08/03/07 10:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some IBSers have problems with diary others don't. It is one those foods you will have to figure out for yourself. Heather recommends not eating dairy but some people on this board have no problems it. It is always wise to stick with lower fat dairy products if you can tolerate dairy.

Contrary to what some people think milk is an easily digestible food. However, for some IBSers some as of yet unknown constituent(s) may act as a GI trigger.

Generally speaking, the problem with eggs is the high fat content of the yolks. You can buy egg whites alone in cartons. Egg whites contain a considerable of protein.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312538 - 08/03/07 02:22 PM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

Personally, both milk AND eggs are powerful triggers for my IBS-D. Regardless if I stick to simply egg whites, I get very sick. When I had a flu-shot this past season, I didn't know that it was formulated with egg products and it caused me a two-day bout. I can tolerate eggs if they are featured in a baked product, but I avoid all eggs and cow's milk now. It's just not worth the pain!

Good luck to you in finding what works for you the best!

--------------------
IBS-D!

#312547 - 08/03/07 05:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IBS issues are not commonly food allergies. Food allergies would be in addition to IBS. That is because IBS has to do with an otherwise healthy GI system that malfunctions for no apparent reason. Keeping the gut as happy as possible is what Heather's diet is about. So just because someone tests for no food allergies doesn't mean they shouldn't avoid the trigger foods. Any way we can make it less likely for our guts to react is worth doing. Avoiding dairy, egg yolks, high fat and red meat is simply and positively the best thing we can do to avoid symptoms.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review