All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is intolerable pain the norm for IBS...
      #312492 - 08/02/07 08:13 PM
arabidmouse

Reged: 08/02/07
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I just picked up "Eating for IBS" a couple of days ago and I am so grateful for the information that it provides.

I find it particularily interesting that I haven't had the full diagnostics run by my doctor (I have an appointment on Tuesday and I am going to ask her the questions that I found on this site. Thanks Heather! ).

Anyhow, I've followed the diet that my doctor recommended and I found that the abdominal discomfort has been coming and going, though the discomfort has been worse when it is around.

I've noticed that a lot of IBS sufferers experience a fair amount of pain, which I haven't experienced. I would describe my experiences mostly to be gas, discomfort, nausea and bloating with occasional constipation and heartburn.

Actually I'll just list my symptoms, because I'm curious to see if anyone actually shares these symptoms:
-Sore left side from lower abdomen up to the bottom of my ribcage.
-Lower back pain/discomfort on my left side.
-Gas, occasional nausea, bloating
-stools that start out quite hard but end quite loose, or hard stools alternating with loose ones (I feel a little odd sharing this with the general public.) I haven't really dealt with diarrhea or constipation on either extreme though for a long time... Not since I was a teen and in my early, early twenties.

Because these symptoms are not classic IBS symptoms, I'm wondering if there's anything else that I should bring up to my doctor.

Thanks to whoever made it through this long post.

--------------------
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~Mahatma Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is intolerable pain the norm for IBS... new
      #312536 - 08/03/07 01:27 PM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Most of what you describe are symptoms that I have or have read that others have. It's good to have all the tests done and ask lots of questions. However, most doctors aren't aware of the real dietary issues involved when you have IBS. I was always told eat lots of fiber. Even when I asked about the different types, I was told it didn't matter. so whenever I tried to eat real healthy and follow what they said, I'd end up in excruciating pain (from all the insoluable fiber) and worse off. You should definitely read about the safe foods and trigger foods. I'm not sure how to do links but the information is out there. You don't mention what you are eating, so it's very likely that your doctor is telling you to eat things you shouldn't.

#312537 - 08/03/07 02:18 PM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

I have the left-side pain quite frequently & was diagnosed with IBS. I have pretty severe symptoms and raging IBS-D when I don't take care of myself through the diet. I wish you all of the best in your journey to better health!

--------------------
IBS-D!

#312841 - 08/08/07 07:29 PM
Shibby

Reged: 06/21/07
Loc: Clifton Park, NY

I get a pain that comes & goes on my left side just below my rib cage. I have the low back pain but it's not worse on my left side. I have the occasional nausea, gas & bloating but my bm's are different. I'm newly diagnosed & my symptoms seem to be a little different every month so I'm trying to figure this out. My doc gave me no info. about diet, I learned it all here, the tough part for me is trying to stick to it! Good luck on your journey

#313627 - 08/21/07 08:57 AM
missamber

Reged: 12/16/06

Hi, I haven't been on this site much, because I am doing a lot better with my "problems", but let me tell you...those are my EXACT symptoms and you are the only person who has listed them all...actually, I should say that they WERE my exact symptoms. I get them off and on a lot more mildly now. I'll tell you what helped me, but it's only a suggestion since everyone's body reacts differently.
-Exercise moderately, 3 times a week or more
-Dannon Activia (REALLY, REALLY helped. You'll notice a difference in about a week or so)
-Cutting caffeine intake
-Cutting sugar intake
-Prayer. (I know that sounds crazy, but God has really helped me through it, more than what I listed above. Instead of always worrying about myself, God began to fill my mind with things I should be thankful for, joy, inner peace, and trust in Him when I was stressed and/or worried.

That's my advice. It's good to hear from someone who shared in what I had. I did discuss these symptoms with a few doctors, all of whom said I didn't have enough fiber, it was stress, too much sugar or fat, etc. I think it's a societal disease. I think it comes from all of the bad foods we eat, all of the stress and fear in our world, pollution, who knows. I think that all diseases come from human causes. Our world is full of bad stuff, so, it's going to affect us one way or another. God bless you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

#313628 - 08/21/07 09:15 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

This is exactly what I needed to read today!!!

It's so great you are doing so well. I, too, depend on prayer to make it through the days. This IBS is beyond anything any human can help....but God has power over everything. He can heal.

Are you eating the regular Activia yogurt or the "lite" version? You eat this everyday? It contains fructose which scared me away.

Also, are you taking a soluble fiber supplement? I know you were taking Metamucil in the past. Or do you take any other supplements?

Do you still follow this diet....or do you mostly just avoid the ingredients you listed below?

Oh, and what type of exercise do you do? I'm walking..but not having much of an impact on me.

So glad you posted today!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Is intolerable pain the norm for IBS...(for Jordy) new
      #313869 - 08/24/07 01:57 PM
missamber

Hi!
I am sorry I didn't get back to you soon...I have been busy lately with a new job. I eat the normal Activia, but if you feel that you would do better with the lite, I think you should give it a try. I regulated in two weeks and now I go normally every day. Only my nerves or stress affect things sometimes, but everyone goes through that. For exercise, I do fifteen to twenty minutes a day of Tae-Bo and I walk two or three miles a day at the local park. I have taken fiber in the past, but now I eat a bowl every morning or every other morning of raisin bran (just a small bowl) and I doing super with it. Also, I really get deep into the Bible, reading about God's promises about health and healing. Here's something that I did to help me: I went through the Bible and found verses about health, the power of God, the goodness of God, etc, and I memorized them a few at a time. While I am at the park, I recite what I can remember and thank God for healing me, not just physically, but in the other areas that can affect me negatively like my emotions. If you would like some of the verses I use, I can give them to you. Honestly, I don't think that people who suffer from IBS always need a new diet or pills or what have you. I think that people suffer a lot in this world from bad choices in diet and allowing fear and negativity and sickness to rule their minds. I think, as with any illness, there is a lot of truth in trusting God and being positive and thanking Him for the goodness that He WILL bring. Keep up the good work and I'll keep you in prayer!!!

Missamber new
      #313990 - 08/27/07 08:00 AM
Jordy

Is it possible to email you? It's time for me to try a new diet. This one just is never going to work for me. I'd like to talk to you about your daily menu/supplements, if possible. I know we can't post about it.

--------------------

Jordy new
      #313998 - 08/27/07 10:12 AM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

I ride my bike for an hour (which is 10-15 miles!!) and that really seems to help. I live in Chicago so sometimes I bike down the lakefront which is really pretty and like 100 miles long haha. I used to walk around a lot but its boring to me and biking seems to be WAY better and fun!!! It makes sense ya know? I think maybe its a massage to the bowels hahaha, the way your legs move when you're on a bike.

Oh, and yes..... new
      #314152 - 08/29/07 06:27 AM
Jordy

I would love to know some passages to read. My version of the bible doesn't have an index to help me find specific verses to address specific needs.

Thanks!

--------------------

Re: Missamber new
      #314212 - 08/29/07 03:27 PM
missamber

Hi, Jordy!
My e-mail is amber.partin@yahoo.com
Send me an e-mail and I will e-mail you the scriptures and whatnot.
Blessings!

Thank you so much-nt new
      #314275 - 08/30/07 07:46 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 908 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4120

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review