All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas problems caused by fruit and possibly sugar?
      #312445 - 08/02/07 05:50 AM
LilMissTummyIssues

Reged: 08/02/07
Loc: Guildford, UK

I have had IBS since about the age of 12 (now 32), and have only been able to control it since I discovered Heather's diet. My main problem was diarrhea, but I was probably equally embarrassed by excessive gas. I have been trying to follow the IBS diet for about nine months now, and I'm starting to get the hang of hit. My diarrhea is largely controlled, but as Heather warns on her pages, the gas is the most difficult thing to get rid of. I have tried fennel teas, cutting out carbonated drinks, chewing gum and all the other advice was able to come across. Yet nothing seemed to calm my absolutely unique gas problems.

As I have been experimenting with Heather's diets, I noticed that when I make her banana bread, I can have no visitors for about a week!!! In addition to the fact that I've noticed baking soda causes gas, I started to wonder about fruit ... I have taken out fruit for about three weeks now, and that definitely seems to be the thing! However, when I make the vietnamese chicken skewers from her recipe book (contain brown sugar), I also get a lot of gas. I don't normally get this with chicken, so I'm now wondering whether MY gas issues are cause by fructose and sugar ...

As this is the most embarassing problem ever, I would really appreciate any other feedback on this. I'm new to the forum, but have tried to browse for similar issues, but I didn't really find anything on this. Sorry if I'm double posting!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas problems caused by fruit and possibly sugar? new
      #312448 - 08/02/07 06:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Gas can definitely be caused by high fructose fruits and juices, honey, molasses and some syrups. It is very unlikely to be cause by white or brown sugar.

What else was in the vietnamese chicken skewers recipe?

You might try restricting your fruits to those listed in this message . You can read more about fructose absorption here .

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312452 - 08/02/07 07:27 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

I was getting alot of gas from High Fructose Corn Syrup which is in alot of things, read the lables and you'll be suprised. The main one for me was Bread. I now buy bread that does not contain HFCS (hard to find byt Meijer does sell one type). Heathers Acacia works very well for gas and bloating.

#312485 - 08/02/07 04:33 PM
Traveler

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: CA

Yeah, I have gas, too. I've read that non-complex carbohydrates are a culprit. Good luck, Traveler

#312501 - 08/03/07 06:00 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I too suffer from really bad gas. It's my main problem. I've had D since I'm a toddler so it hardly phases me that I now get it once or twice a week usually. But gas, thats every day and I can't take it anymore. I was wondering, those of you who suffer from gas.. what sort of diet do you find sucessful. Can you give me a sample menu from one of your days? breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and beverages. Also, I guess any meds you might take. I don't mind altering my diet as long as it will work. I am soooo sick of limiting myself and still getting sick!!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#312549 - 08/03/07 05:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I have taken out fruit for about three weeks now, and that definitely seems to be the thing!

I have taken things out of my diet before and gotten results only to find that my body goes back to how it was and the suspicious food was not the problem. My gas is more often caused by needing to poop than what I eat. For a normal person (without IBS) it is easy to see what caused their gas. DH always knows what makes him feel a certain way. But for IBSers there isn't always a direct link to what you eat and basic symptoms such as gas or bloating. Make sure not to take anything healthy out of your diet.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#312627 - 08/06/07 07:42 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

what are some examples of non-complex carbs?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#312647 - 08/06/07 12:37 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

White sugar is a non-complex carbohydrate. However, the proceedding poster is misleading. Some simple carbohydates such as fructose, sorbitol and some complex carbohydrates such as inulin and psyllium husk can be problematic for IBSers while white sugar isn't

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312710 - 08/07/07 09:19 AM
saraUK

Reged: 07/26/07

Hi there,
I'm reading these posts and they sound like me! I'm IBS D and like the original poster here i made Heathers banana bread this week and my gas is worse. I'm wondering if it is fructose intolerance but am reluctant to cut out fruit as it contains so much goodness. I am so uncomfortable (and constantly embarassed) and I eat anther 'safe' meal and it starts all over...
any help much appreciated!

#312720 - 08/07/07 10:03 AM
julesk

Reged: 08/07/07

I too have these problems and mine seem to creep up at night. Does anyone else have this problem? I've read a million times that IBS should not affect you at night but in my case it does. I think everyone is different about what time of day it affects them. I can hardly sleep sometimes because of the gas, nausea and pain I'm in.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2031

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review