All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A question about acacia...
      #312438 - 08/02/07 04:26 AM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

I have been sticking to the diet for over 1/2 month. Also I take acacia 1 tsp 1/4 now. I have had no attacks of "D", and my cramps have been normal, not making me ill.

That said, my BM's are still not what I would called normally formed. They are still small pieces...and my fear is that they are a step away from being "D" (yep, a bit of anxiety here...it feels good not to be chained to the toliet).

I am thrilled with the progress I have made, and a bit fearful from changing anything.

That said, will upping Acacia gradually help form my bm's (tmi...sorry).

Thanks so much.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A question about acacia... new
      #312442 - 08/02/07 05:32 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi there,

Since acacia is purely soluable fiber, the purpose of it is to make your BMs more formed. So yes, increasing the acacia can help with that. Again, you probably want to increase slowly, say add another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for a few days, see how you do, and then consider increasing more. There is no exact science, and unfortunately (or fortunately!) everyone is different. I have been on the diet for 3 months now, and I'm still learning to balance everything -- I don't have many days when my BMs are what one would consider "normal" but I have less urgency and they are more formed, so its certainly an improvement. I know we all wish we could have miraculous results overnight, but that's just not how it works Keep hanging in there and I hope you continue to feel better!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#312453 - 08/02/07 08:04 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I've been doing 1/2 teaspoons of Acacia twice a day since last Saturday and haven't really seen a difference in the formation of my stool. This Saturday I'm going to up it to 1 teaspoon twice a day and see what happens there.

It's funny because I can't for the life of me remember when I had my last normal BM with that relief one feels afterwards because it was something that I never paid attention to until I started to notice a change about 1.5 year ago. The very very last time that I had a normal BM (size and solidity was perfect) and the relief that comes with it was 4 days after my colonoscopy and it was my 1st BM after the colonoscopy. Maybe 'cause I hadn't really had food in my belly? Two days after that BM, things got wacky again. Things that make me go Hmmm....

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#312489 - 08/02/07 06:21 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

That dose will probably be too much too soon, and might cause you some problems. It's better to increase by 1/4 teaspoon.

#312491 - 08/02/07 08:12 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Then 3/4 teaspoonfuls twice a day it'll be. Thanks Gracie!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review