All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Laxative or what
      #312367 - 08/01/07 07:29 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I know we all have our own experiences and methods to deal with things but all input is helpful. In two weeks I will be going on vacation and taking a cruise. Now, my doctor has been extremely helpful and prescribed me a ten day supply of Librax at my request. He thought this would help more than my Bentyl, which offers marginal relief at best, but one of the side effects is constipation. I am IBS-A and seem to cycle through from C to D each month. Also the week of my vacation is the week I start my period, but that is at the end of that week and I can handle that. I am afraid that witht the stress, any kind of strong emotions my body perceives as stress, and the change in sleep habit and climate, etc, etc. I will have a flare up. So I do plan on starting the Librax before I go and continue it faithfully. But what does anyone suggest to counteract the constipation? I know that the Bentyl will give me C when I use it for a few days. I have tried glycerin suppositories and really hate them. They burn and they really seem to offer little relief. Laxatives such as Ducolax cause cramps and explosive D. Regular stool softners sometimes make me throw up or burp up due to my severe reflux. So I am not sure what option to use? I have never tried an enema or anything other the above solutions. I will try to make sure that I incorporate as much fibre as I can and try to keep my habits from causing a flare up. But any suggestions are appreciated. This is our first real vacation in 7 years and I do not want to spoil it by throwing up, crying, and complaining about my tummy.
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Laxative or what new
      #312368 - 08/01/07 08:49 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

If I were you, I'd get a bottle of Natural Calm. You can control the dose and adjust it as your body requires. It is very gentle..not a laxative. It is just magnesium. It has really helped me. You can take as much as you need and you can take it everyday or as needed.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#312424 - 08/01/07 07:29 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I take Miralax. It is a gentle laxative, and the only thing that helps me. Other laxatives have made my stool watery, but not the Miralax.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Re: Laxative or what-ECM new
      #312440 - 08/02/07 04:53 AM
cejay

ECM-I saw the Miralax in the drugstore yesterday and almost got some. What I saw was a powder that I guess you mix with liquid. Is that all there is or is there a liquid form? I hate mixing stuff.

Re: miralax new
      #312441 - 08/02/07 05:30 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

They only have a powder form. I usually mix it with a combo of cran-grape juice and water. Plain water isn't too tasty. It mixes really well though and is not gritty at all.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#312483 - 08/02/07 04:21 PM
Traveler

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: CA

...are you using soluble fiber, and are you using enough? Re-read Heather's info about it. I have IBS-C and take the max: 15 GMs am & pm. Good luck and have a great vacation.

#312498 - 08/03/07 04:36 AM
cejay

I eat as much as I can when I can. Munch on raw carrots all day long, apples with no peels, love mashed cauliflower with a little whole cauliflower thrown in. Also take Benefiber and exercise. I was just concerned due to the medication and one side effect being constipation.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1731

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review