All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
COLLEGE
      #312221 - 07/29/07 10:19 PM
rlb

Reged: 07/29/07

I would really like some tips on how to manage my diet in college, living in a sorority house...with a chef who uses a lot of 'unsafe' food... I am IBS-A, but usually C with constant gas/bloating. Protein is really hard to come by where I go to school. Also, when is the best time to take Acacia?
Please help thanks so much!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: COLLEGE new
      #312258 - 07/30/07 11:25 AM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

A lot of college students are on this board and understand completely what you are going through. I just graduated with my undergrad in May and heading for my Masters in August. Basically the best piece of advice I can give you is to cook your own meals... I know most people hate to cook esp in college but that is the only way you know it will be safe. Grilled Chicken breasts on a george foreman grill is about the easiest it gets. Make sure you eat a good source of fiber before your meals, such as white bread. One amazing find was Fiber Choice Supplements - they are chewable and great for prevention as well as stopping/ helping an attack.

Good luck

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#312262 - 07/30/07 12:14 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

My IBS symptoms began to worsen when I was in college, probably around my sophomore year. I understand your pain b/c I didn't have a kitchen in my dorm room and had to rely on the food court at school which was not safe!

If you have a kitchen, definitely cook for yourself. If not, get a Foreman grill and a rice cooker for your room. You can grill chicken, fish, Boca burgers, veggies etc. You can steam rice and veggies in your steamer. Get a tiny coffee maker and make hot water for your herbal teas. Load up on safe snacks for when it's late at night and you're studying and need a pick me up.

Have fun at college! It is such a wonderful time in your life!

Re: COLLEGE --> thanks so much and a couple more questions..! new
      #312263 - 07/30/07 01:07 PM
rlb

Reged: 07/29/07

Thank you so much for your replies! I just discovered this site and ordered the book/acacia and have improved a little but I'm nervous about going back to school where I don't have as much control over the food I have access to. I was eating a ton of IF (based on GI doctor advice...) and now that I have decreased my intake I feel less gassy but am experiencing more constipation. What is your best advice for helping *constipation*? Does acacia work well for this in your experience?
One other concern... *caffeine*..! I know that most caffeinated drinks esp coffee are major triggers but do you find any good replacements for caffeine? It's tough going without it at school!

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice.

#312279 - 07/30/07 03:52 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I feel your pain! I just gave up coffee and I relied on it so heavily during college and law school. I started drinking Teeccino and really like it. I also think it does give you a bit of a natural energy boost. You should try it! If you can't find it at your local health food stores, look on their website www.teeccino.com

There are other coffee substitutes out there but I am not familiar with them.

Lots and lots of water also helps keep you healthy!

#312280 - 07/30/07 03:56 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I use Miralax for the C. One capful a night to start with and you will have daily BMs. I have cut it down to 1/2 a cap at this point. Also, try a probiotic. As far as the caffine goes...you will learn to live without it. I was a 3-4 coke a day drinker and was able to cut it out totally. You'll have headaches for a few weeks, so cut it out now before classes start.....
Have fun!

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#312347 - 07/31/07 06:32 PM
KayCee

Reged: 06/16/07

I am also going to college this fall, but we are not allowed to cook in our dorm rooms The cafeteria has a wide variety of foods from pizza to sandwiches, cereals, fruits, pastas all kinds of things. I figure I will stick to cereals and sanwiches and any other fairly safe food I can find. I am still kind of worried though. Any advice on how to stay safe when you can't cook for yourself?

#312383 - 08/01/07 12:16 PM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

As for the caffeine, don't risk it. What you really need to do is stay organized and get plenty of sleep. That way you'll lessen two triggers (stress and lack of sleep) and won't need the caffeine. I went to night school, but found it very helpful to take a walk during breaks (not a long one) but just enough to wake me up.

as for staying safe with foods, if you can't cook for yourself, make sure you have plenty of safe staples that don't need to be cooked or refrigerated. As with a restaurant, ask the cafeteria staff what is in things and how they are prepared. People tend to listen better when you say it's an allergy as opposed to a "diet" thing. Try to also find safe restaurants that are nearby too.

I think stress can be the biggest trigger in going away to school. Don't let worrying about food add to that stress. You'll be able to find it work. Lots of people do. If you still can't find options, talk to the school (student advisor maybe) about special accommodations due to your chronic illness. Schools are getting better at allowing more for people with chronic illness, as they would if you were in a wheelchair. But you still have to ask for it. Maybe you can get special permission for a microwave. Push for the cafeteria to add a healthy/vegetarian section. You may even be able to get extra time for exams (almost without fail caused an attack for me). These are all things I learned after finishing school.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

#312385 - 08/01/07 12:30 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I can truly empathize will all of you, I just finished undergrad.
My IBS was really bad when I went away, from eating burgers and pizza.

Here is my advice, try to avoid the meal plan.
Use this site and book to get basic ideas for cooking but also learn about safe food.
See if you can get a plan which lets you eat at other non cafe places like subway.

When eating at the cafe, which you want to do for social reasons, sandwiches.

I honesty feel the cafe has limited options, and it can tough because you need it to socialize.
I didn't get better until I moved off the dorms into an apartment letting me shop for safe foods.

Rely on subway.

For fiber, cooked spinach, cooked veggies with soluable fiber.
I really hope I helped.

This is really tough but use the board, book, and when in doubt, subway it.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#312435 - 08/02/07 01:17 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

Quote:

You may even be able to get extra time for exams (almost without fail caused an attack for me). These are all things I learned after finishing school.

That is a good one. I got my University to make me not take 2 tests on joining days. So if i got a test on say monday, i would have the next on wednesday or more often even thursdays. Because i didnt get ill during the test (well a bit but still manageable) but the day after i always have a full blown attack. Sometimes it ment that i would have to do another assignment instead of the exam, or needed to do the exam oral so others wouldnt be able to help me. But till this point, it really helps me out.

About food i cant really comment, since European college is completely different then American (we dont have campussus with dormitorys, for one) but i hope you will find a way to live there without many problems. Just dont start stressing out yet, fight problems when you find them, dont start looking for them

Good luck, and have a great time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2004

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review