All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can probiotics cause D? (and other possible causes)
      #312216 - 07/29/07 07:05 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I searched the postings on probiotics, and it seems that folks have benefitted from taking them. I started taking them recently (Reuteri - an enteric coated capsule), and it made my D worse. I was hoping it would help! I'm also taking a digestive enzyme before dinner. Could that be the cause? My digestion is already overactive, so maybe adding an enzme is putting my colon into overdrive.

Other dietary possibilities...low acid orange juice, peanut butter (on a plain bagel), one See's chocolate (after a meal, only on Saturday), a few low-fat Ruffles potato chips with my low-fat tuna sandwich (with chopped celery and lettuce).

I don't want to believe that any of these things can be causing the problem, but I'm definitely worse on the weekends when I eat some of these meals...my tummy will be amazingly rumbly, and then I'll have a pie-movement. But lately, I have a losse BM every day. I'm grateful that it's only one or two times a day, and not several! Any help would be appreciated. I'm feeling quite low.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can probiotics cause D? (and other possible causes) new
      #312219 - 07/29/07 09:44 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

If you took the full dose of what they say on the bottle, then yes probiotics can cause D, or lots of gas and bloating. You should start probiotics at a very low dose for about a week, then slowly, and gradually increase your dose each week until you get to full dose.

Enzymes might cause D too if it's not the right kind for you. You might have to experiment until you find a good one for yourself.

Edited by Gracie (07/29/07 09:45 PM)

#312223 - 07/30/07 05:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The ingredient list for this Reuteri chewable is mannitol, xylitol, lactulose, mono- & diglycerides, malic acid, natural lemon flavor, zein (corn protein), and riboflavin phosphate.

The three ingredients mannitol, xylitol and lactulose as know to cause D even in non-IBS individuals. These ingredients are usually only found in chewable tablets to make them taste sweeter and more palatable.

Perhaps it would be wise to make sure your probiotic does not contain these ingredients.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312247 - 07/30/07 09:50 AM
Digby

I take the capsules, not the chewables. I think I'll stop taking it for awhile and see if it makes a difference. Thx!

#312248 - 07/30/07 09:51 AM
Digby

I only took one capsule of the Reuteri, but I think I'll stop taking it for awhile. Any suggestions on enzymes to try? Thx.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 512 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 935

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review