All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
heat stress
      #312151 - 07/28/07 11:02 AM
Christy 60

Reged: 07/28/07

Anybody else have extra trouble with heat and humidity?! Just when I thought I had it figured out; taking fiber pills and eating oyster crackers before lunch. I picked at a few veggies and wham! Cramps and pain for the rest of the day. I had played tennis that morning in high heat, drinking water and gatorade. I'm having difficulty believing there's no way I can eat in the summertime when the humidity rises. What do you do if you're active and hungry and hot? ANY thoughts are appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: heat stress new
      #312154 - 07/28/07 11:43 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I think maybe you should try to pick times to be active when it's not so hot if you can. (If you live somewhere where it's very hot and humid a lot of the time that can of course be hard.) The heat puts extra stress on the body. Be sure to not drink really cold beverages but rather room temperature ones. I know it is very tempting to cool down with iced drinks but that's not the best for the digestive system. I also wonder a bit about the Gatorade. Is that something you can normally tolerate? I'm not sure of the ingredients of the particular one you had but there tends to be some artificial ingredients in those things, but that should be easy enough for you to check out.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#312159 - 07/28/07 12:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some Gatorade drinks contain HFCS (glucose-fructose) which can cause cramps and pain in some individuals. You may want to consider drinking water instead of Gatorade.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312166 - 07/28/07 02:03 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

It may have been the Gatorade. I can't drink ANY sports drinks without getting sick to my stomach. The heat usually only bothers me when I'm already not feeling well. Doesn't usually bring it on. I agree - maybe try water?

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Wendyc new
      #312168 - 07/28/07 02:30 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

How are you doing? Is it getting any easier to be strict with the diet? Hope you're doing well.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#312189 - 07/29/07 08:52 AM
Christy 60

Thanks for replying. Wow, people really do listen and care! (My first time on this board)
I will check out the gatorade ingredients; when I do have trouble it seemed to settle my stomach so I thought it would be safe, but maybe not with the heat.
Thankfully I was able to eat a little today so onward towards another recovery. Thanks again!

#312191 - 07/29/07 08:59 AM
Christy 60

thank you too for replying. It's a relief to find other people that "get" these problems.
I'm happily on my way towards another recovery.
"Never give up, never surrender" (Battlestar Galactica movie)

#312207 - 07/29/07 05:46 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I have a huge problem with heat and humidity and Gatorade is one of the few things that helps. I use the powdered mix (orange flavored) and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have HFCS. I think Gatorade in liquid form has HFCS. The powdered Gatorade doesn't bother me - only helps.

#312210 - 07/29/07 05:57 PM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

Try Blue Sky - they make a great sport drink and you can find it at Whole Foods or maybe some other natural food stores. These days I am having a harder time finding it, but there are other natural sport drinks that you could also try if you can't find it. My stomach always seem to do OK with the Blue Sky, and I am also very active, so I understand the desire to change things up a bit and not always drink water.

#312296 - 07/30/07 06:16 PM
Christy 60

Thanks! I agree-been using powdered Gatorade as well and it's the "go to" drink when things have gone awry.
Today I played tennis again in heat and just had a graham cracker beforehand to cut the hunger, and afterwards too and all was well.
If I find any more tips for us heat affected victims, I'll post. Take care!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2880 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review