All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
DEPRESSED......I NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT.
      #311691 - 07/20/07 08:07 PM
Laura Renee

Reged: 05/17/07

I know I'm not the only person with IBS that has this problem. I just recently got stable with my IBS, but I had already lost so much weight before I knew what was going on. I had gotten afraid to eat because it seemed like whatever I put in my mouth would put me in writhing stomach and intestinal pain. I'm eating a good diet now, but I'm continuing to lose weight. I was 118 and am now 102, and I'm 5'6". My size 0 clothes are falling off of me. It is really hard to whine about this to normal people, because they think I'm being ridiculous, but I feel ugly. My skin looks like it is hanging off my bones and I'm afraid to exercise too much for fear I will just lose more weight. My friends and family look at me like I must be a druggy or have an eating disorder. I'm just getting really depressed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: DEPRESSED......I NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT. new
      #311695 - 07/20/07 10:31 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Hi

i'm completely unqualified to give suggestions or advice about weight gain since I am forever struggling with the opposite, but if you are feeling strong enough to handle exercise, perhaps yoga would help your body function better, and assimilate nutrition better, and some weight bearing exercise would give you some muscle tone and weight. It really helps with depression and self-image as well. I hope you have some good quality vitamins.

#311698 - 07/21/07 12:35 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Hi on another thread I posted about weight gain. I had to gain a huge amount and felt often very sick and in pain but had to do it. Food is medicine and can really help with depression,pain,sickness. Its so hard in the short run but in the long run can give you a better life. I really think a nutritionist because I would of never been able to eat the amount I needed and they can help establish a taylored plan and also with the mental. Take care.

#311702 - 07/21/07 04:31 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Ok, my tip is that you try to eat frequently. Try to get some protein with every meal and snack if you can. One thing that is good to add some energy to your diet is to try to drink good energy containing beverages instead of water, like soy or oat milk for example.

If you want to exercise then take it easy, maybe combine walking with some weight training. Of course this means you must get some extra energy from your diet since increased muscle weight means that you burn off more energy too.

I can relate to how you feel. I have not been as much underweight as you are. I was down to 107 pounds last Xmas and am 5'5. But since then I have been able to gain about 2 pounds. Though I have to admit I haven't been very strict with my diet lately - what I mean by that is that when I decided I needed to do something to put on weight I was really careful to not eat things like a sandwich lunch but rather leftovers from the previous night's dinner. Now I've eaten less cooked food again, so maybe that's why I haven't put more weight on.

A good way to get energy is to drink smoothies. This is also a safe way to incorporate fruit and berries and nuts for example. Your imagination is really the limit here. Try mixing a banana and some berries or other type of fruit, with some rice-, oat-, or soymilk, some honey if you can tolerate it, a few nuts of your choice (make sure they are finely chopped in the mixer) and maybe even some soy protein powder for example. Really delicious and nutritious!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#311706 - 07/21/07 07:23 AM
Laura Renee

Thanks everyone so much. I do eat frequently and I always have snacks at work and at home, but I am thinking I need to find ways to add some calories to what I'm eating as well. A nutritionist sounds like a great idea to help there. I do yoga and pilates, but not as frequently as I should. I have a full time job, 2 dogs, a house, and I'm single, so all that and cooking meals can get to be a little time consuming. And I'm running out of energy. I'm hoping by really concentrating on gaining weight I'll get more energy and then not feel so overwhelmed. Thanks for everyone's support.

#318410 - 11/12/07 11:57 AM

Unregistered

Hi Laura,
I was looking through older posts for info on gaining weight. I too have lost alot of weight and am looking for tips on putting it back on safely. I have to be careful not to consume too much bread/carbs etc or I get stopped up....have you had any luck gaining? If so, what did you do?

#318440 - 11/12/07 06:06 PM
Laura Renee

I wish I had some good news. I also wish some of the advice I got from others helped, but nothing has. I still weigh somewhere between 98 and 101 pounds. I've never been heavy, but always used to weight around 120. I'm 5'6" and a 20 lb loss is pretty significant for me. The thing I think that keeps me from losing more weight is that when I'm hungry, I eat. Period. I no longer worry if it is between meals, at meal time, or even 11:00 pm. I know in my heart it is the lack of fat in my diet. I ocassionally eat a hamburger (96% lean), and I have been eating some goat cheese (seems to be a lot easier to digest), and every morning I have oatmeal with Acacia fiber (helps to keep me from getting stopped up).

Anyway, good luck. If you do find anything that works, let me know. I'm still struggling.

Laura

#318442 - 11/12/07 06:25 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've been where you are! I'm also 5'6" and a year and a half ago I was down to 104 pounds and felt like I was dying. I felt horrible and gross and weak. Now I'm 120 pounds and I've been at that weight for six months now -- and I'm really happy body-wise. I get extra calories in by eating the safe quick breads and smoothies listed on the site. Luna Bars have also been a great snack for me -- easy on my gut and an extra 180 calories. I've been able to maintain a healthy weight without having to eat things that aggravate my IBS (no dairy, no red meat, no high fat foods). Fortunately, I've never been anemic or malnourished.

However, I should point out that in addition to IBS, I found out that I had lupus and being in a flare was causing me to lose weight. If you feel that you're eating well and getting enough calories in but still losing weight, you should see a doctor -- just to make sure everything is okay.

#318443 - 11/12/07 06:29 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Hi Laura,
I dont know how much help I will be but I will give it a shot. I have always been tiny and super athletic, working out around 6 times a week. I am 5' 1 but was always consitant around 98 lbs. I dropped to about 90 without even knowing it and it kind of freaked me out. I could see my bones and it was honestly gross, or at least in my eyes it was. In the begining of october I decided that i was going to try to put on weight healthly. I am happy to say that I have put on about 5 lbs. I am consitently putting on almost 1 lb a week. What I have been doing is this. Working out 6 days a week...3 days only about 15 minutes cardio and more weight lifting (builds muscle, and weighs more) and then 3 days a week longer cardio but still light lifting. I eat 5-6 times a day and have increased my portions. I eat 2-3 snacks plus 3 meals a day. I am IBS C, but by eating a little more it is helping me to go to the bathroom more consistenly and fully. My IBS is becoming more and more stable which is making it easier for me to eat a little more and add more of a variety to my diet. I am even begining to eat out a little, where I went about 6 months without eating out at all. I think not stressing about it is key. I know what needs to be done and I am doing it, not worrying helps. I am not sure if this helps you at all, but I want you to know that it is possible to gain the weight. If you want to talk more or go over daily food I would be more than happy to.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#318497 - 11/13/07 09:22 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for responding, I'll let you know if I have any luck. The burger sounds good but I'm too afraid to try it...I do eat oatmeal everyday and snack alot in between meals but snacks of pretzels and carrots don't do much for weight gain. I also know it is because of the lack of fat in my diet as well!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2909 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16579

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review