All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Laura new
      #318768 - 11/15/07 04:00 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Oh, I just hate it when people say: you can still sit with us even if you can't eat. Like it's that easy to watch everyone gouble down chocolate cake and barbecue! Just because I can't eat it doesn't mean that I don't want to eat it. It still makes my stomach "talk" and my mouth water. I get angry and jealous when I watch them eat. No, I don't want to be in that invironment.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Laura new
      #318771 - 11/15/07 05:02 PM
Laura Renee

Reged: 05/17/07

Thank you. I could not agree more. The more I watch them eat yummy stuff, the more I think I can have just one bite. Then one bite later, I'm starving and eat more bites, and pretty soon I feel horrible and then they are upset I don't want to do all their other planned activities for the day. Ridiculous.

What? new
      #318788 - 11/15/07 08:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

People still think a person pays physically for sins? I thought that was cleared up in the Gospels!

If you tell people what happens to you when you eat certain foods they will not think you are a snob. No one I know feels that way about why I don't eat. You have to be blunt and not embarrassed about it. Why should anyone be embarrassed about not eating things unsafe for IBS? For instance tonight I said, "Brie is my favorite cheese but the last time I ate it I got really sick. I thought I could get away with it but my body said no." Be friendly and open about it. Anyone who truly cares will make efforts to give you non-offensive foods. The people I know who do not put effort/care into having foods I can eat (whole in law family) don't really care for me.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

suggestions for anyone invited to dinner new
      #318793 - 11/15/07 08:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is always prudent to bring something you can eat to anything you go to. No matter how much you explain your diet to people they just don't get it and can't cook that way without a lot of training. It is just too hard for them to figure out what would be safe for you (I mean look at the questions we get here from people trying to start the diet- it is confusing at first!). Even after much explanation usually people aren't sure. (I am presently writing a book to help people transition to dairy free and low in fat). So you have to bring a dish or two with you. Believe me no one ever minds. I sometimes bring dinner with to my friends' so they don't have to try to figure something out for me. Never expect people to empathize too much. They still have a right to eat their unsafe foods and can't help your situation. So for a Thanksgiving meal: if you bring a pumpkin cake or some muffins or something safe for your dessert and bring a side dish you should be able to eat turkey, cranberries and maybe stuffing and maybe a vegetable too and what you bring.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: What? new
      #318811 - 11/16/07 05:35 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

True. However, at least for me, I don't always want to feel like I need to explain myself to everyone yet some people feel like it's appropriate for them to make comments. For example, I try to keep it simple by saying I just can't eat dairy. The response I got was "well, my friend just pops a pill before she eats ice cream and she's fine, why don't you do that"? So then I still need to go further and mention the difference between enzymes and proteins and some people just start giving me this look (almost like I'm weird). SO, I'm like, if you don't want me to get into this in the first place, don't make comments. That's what bothers me. Some people ask just because they care and I do appreciate that. But some people just want to make comments about my weight and that's not OK. I'm not too skinny, just slim/healthy (5'10" and about 145) so it bugs me that people always assume I make my dietary requirements so that I wouldn't gain weight. All those comments "oh, you can afford to eat this". Well, I can't. Really. What do they know?
Fortunately, a lot of people I know are understanding and don't say anything. The weird thing is that most of the bad comments come from complete strangers.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: DEPRESSED......I NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT. new
      #319249 - 11/20/07 08:54 PM
SW10

Reged: 10/18/07

How did you get yourself stable? I am losing weight like crazy!!!!! I delieved my son at 142lbs now I am down to like 105..

Re: DEPRESSED......I NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT. new
      #319261 - 11/21/07 06:16 AM

Unregistered

I was in the same boat as you and am continuing to lose weight. You really need to follow this diet as closely as possible. I firmly believe that you cannot get stable unless you take the Acacia - are you using it? I use 1 1/2 tsp in the morning and again in the evening. I have also been increasing my carb intake for snacks/etc but am making sure that I eat enough veggies (cooked) daily so I don't get C.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #319302 - 11/21/07 02:38 PM
TATYANA

I am starting to believe that most people make "skinny" comments not out of concern, but out of jealousy. So, to all of us skinny girls out there: Cheers and be proud!

Tatyana.

--------------------

Mean doc's comment new
      #320725 - 12/14/07 07:55 PM
TATYANA

I saw an orthopedist last week and he said to me: if you loose 5 more pounds, you'll look anorexic. I couldn't believe he said that! What a jerk! Especially when my appointment had nothing to do with my weight!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16813

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review