All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Venting about annoying nighttime symptoms...
      #311617 - 07/19/07 11:32 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hey everyone...
I am feeling frustrated right now and I just want to express some thoughts.
IBS is so fascinating, confusing and annoying to me. Just when I think one aspect of it is "fixed" (like that's even possible!) another symptom comes up. For instance, I was D every morning for months and months. Then I was kinda C and would go to the bathroom just a little during the day, then have a day or two where I went all the time and kinda emptied myself out. Not my BMs are fairly normal, but every night I get horrifically bloated, with terrible gas and pain. It's so strange!!
The weirdest part is that the symptoms are usually fairly nonexistant when I go out at night with friends. It's like it only happens when I lay around on the internet doing nothing after dinner. I guess it makes sense as my body is stagnant and thus my digestion is as well, however it seems psychological in some ways too.... like when I'm happier and not focused on digestion my symptoms are dormant. What do ya'll think about that?
I find it strange how syptoms can totally switch from morning to nighttime. I know it all means something, even if it's as simple as I am more rushed in the morning and more relaxed at night so the gas is coming out. I am thinking about a Chinese or Ayurvedic perspective, where everything means something, like the time of day when your symptoms occur and such.
I am getting my period tomorrow or the next day, so that's probably why my symptoms are flared up. I just hate thinking I'll have to live with this my whole life, it is so overwhelming. When I start making money (I am interning now and in graduate school), I will for sure see an amazing holisitc doctor, because that's the route I want to take and not the western drug route.
My diet is not so great right now also. I am eating carbs and protein, not enough veggies.., and a good amount of sweet foods, which i don't think is good for me.
Arg.... thanks for reading this rant if you have. If it provokes any thoughts, please respond!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Venting about annoying nighttime symptoms... new
      #311627 - 07/20/07 06:01 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi!

I think a lot of your problems could come from how much or little preoccupied you are with other things than IBS. You said if I understood correctly that these days you feel better in the morning, when you're busy getting ready and also in the evenings when you're out with friends. Well, I have this theory: For us who have IBS the body doesn't filter out signals from the digestive system properly, right? So compared to a "normal" person, signals that aren't supposed to get through to our brain do, and they are often perceived as pain. Now, what is it that we tend to do a lot of the time? Well, we pay a lot of attention to what's going on in our digestive system. For some of us, this can happen when we really want to be well, like at a special event. For others, like you, it could happen when you don't have enough outer things keeping your brain preoccupied. Of course focusing on each and every thing that happens in our digestive system can't be good. "Normal" people too have lots of things going on in there, their bowels too make sounds in there et.c. but they don't pay much attention to it right? So, of course it can't be good when we IBS:ers focus on these things, since we already have a body that pays too much attention to things it shouldn't really pay any attention to at all. So I have actually started trying to NOT focus on these signals. It's certainly not easy! It's especially hard at times when I feel it's really important that my bowels behave! But I feel I have to try, since I know that a lot if not most even of my attacks actually happen because I worry on a conscious or subconscious level about having an attack. So what I try to do is to just note that I felt something from the digestive system but then leave it and continue with whatever it was I was doing. I am pretty confident that this will help me, and I certainly know it won't hurt. I hope this makes sense to you.

I think the holistic approach is really the only right one when it comes to IBS. But when you think of it most of us do take a holistic approach to it even if we don't go to an Ayurvedic or Chinese doctor. We try to keep IBS under control by eating the proper food, working with mental issues around this, exercising and relaxing. I am very interested in Eastern medicine myself and I do believe there is a chance that a really good expert on this type of medicine could cure a person from IBS, though I am sure it would take quite some time. This is my personal theory. However there are some things in the Eastern medicine that I feel very skeptical about and one example is the use of bowel cleansing to treat IBS. For people with IBS whose bowels are already very sensitive it just doesn't seem like a good idea to do repeated cleanses. If you would suffer from something like non-IBS chronic constipation however cleansing is probably not a bad idea. This is used in western medicine too for that type of problem and for people with fairly normal bowels but who have a colostomy to make the bowel empty at certain times and not in between. But like I said, there are many aspects of Eastern medicine that are very interesting.

When it comes to food you say you eat a lot of carbs and protein and sweet foods. Why is that? Is it because this is what you handle the best or is it what you like? Too much carbs and sweet foods can cause bloating in some people in my experience. So if you can it's probably good if you could add some veggies to your diet. As long as you can handle them there are a lot of nice veggies on the safe list that you can use. Heather doesn't say that you need to base your meals entirely on the safe foods with high carb content like rice and pasta. Try to find the best balance for your body.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

What sweet foods and carbs are you eating regularly? -nt- new
      #311629 - 07/20/07 06:06 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Venting about annoying nighttime symptoms... new
      #311654 - 07/20/07 11:30 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I am IBS-D, and while I seem to have the D under some control, I do get more bloated and gassy as the day goes on. However, I too have very little bloating when I am active in the afternoon. I tend to exercise in the morning and don't have any symptoms, but if I get sluggish in the afternoon, I'm uncomfortable by bedtime. My simple answer is if you feel better when you are moving - move! I try to do some household chores or play with my kids periodically in the afternoon, and it seems to work for me.

Take care, and I hope you feel better soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 470 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 715

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review