All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm kicking coffee for good this time, D**mnit! ;)
      #311488 - 07/18/07 11:26 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I have tried and tried and tried to kick coffee. Each time I do I fall off the wagon in about six months. I think it's because I reach stability at some point and lure myself into a false sense of security about being able to indulge in a cup because my tummy is feeling fine. Not true.

I have drank coffee since I was about 5 years old. No joke! I used to drink a tiny little teacup amount with my grandpa every morning and have toast. It's truly a morning ritual for me. The psychological addition is more powerful than the physical in my case.

Anyway, I fell of the wagon again a few months back, partly because I missed it and partly because my job tires me out so much that I needed a stimulant. (I'm an attorney...long hours...lots of stress). I need to quit drinking it though as it always causes me GI distress.

So, I guess I'm counting on you wonderful people to give me the kick in the pants I deserve and keep me toe-ing the line this time!

I found a great article on the teecino website that I am going to refer to every time I get a craving and feel like cheating. It's pretty much everything we all already know...but if you're interested read it here: http://www.teeccino.com/PDFs/colon.pdf

Anyone else who is having problems with coffee, I could use the support of quitting with someone else.

Thanks!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm kicking coffee for good this time, D**mnit! ;) new
      #311743 - 07/22/07 08:51 AM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Hi Fellow CoffeeBuff!

I love the stuff too! I've tried to quit many times, but it fills so many roles for me. It's an instant mood lifter, boosts my sagging energy between 2pm & 10pm and supports me (& I'm sorry, but mint tea will NOT do that), gets me out of bed in the morning, and is the only indulgent ritual in my life-every morning, my husband brings me my first cup and places it under my nose. It's how I wake up. How can I part with that? I've enjoyed it since I was a teenager.

True, for quite a while, I've been more and more conscious of just how acidic and punishing it is on my stomach (I've always taken it very strong) and how it often causes gut cramps, and how in the afternoons I sometimes can't bear the taste...but still I NEEEEEEEED it.

It would be great to have a quitting buddy. Have you already quit?

#311745 - 07/22/07 11:33 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Coffee also contributes to osteoperosis, and raises your cortisol levels which causes you to age faster.

#311769 - 07/23/07 07:47 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I'm with you all there- i love it. I only have one cup of coffee a day, two max., but working shifts necessitates it. To be honest i've never had any problems with the one cup of coffee even when i'm unstable (i know this because i think know what factors do cause me to become unstable, and thankfully coffee isn't one of them- i could be wrong tho).

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Qutting Buddies new
      #311778 - 07/23/07 10:16 AM
AmandaM

Hey!

I'm working on it. I know I can't do it cold turkey because of the caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I can't work with a splitting headache and a mental fog. I am just working on lessening the amount I drink everyday until I can skip a day in between and then finally just stop altogether.

Right now I am on the skipping every other day thing. Yesterday I had my little cup of it and actually tasted bad to me! I couldn't finish the cup. I guess that's improvement.

I'm totally willing to support you through it if you want to quit. It was a hard decision for me, especially since everyone I know socializes over coffee. But, I also realize how unstable it makes me. It's something I need to do!

Two more good reasons for me to quit! - nt new
      #311779 - 07/23/07 10:17 AM
AmandaM

Re: Qutting Buddies new
      #311810 - 07/23/07 04:24 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Allright! I quit yesterday afternoon, and this morning took Exedrin to kill the worst of the headache. I don't feel foggy, just very slow moving, with a moderately throbbing head, and not as irritable as usual. I'm sure I am going to suffer more than this-I've had a 2-4 cup a day habit for many years.

I'm just going to try to take it easy physically today. I quit smoking gradually 15 years ago, but with coffee, gradually never worked. I'd start to wean off, then forget. So this is it. Quick, like a band-aid! One day (actually, one morning and one afternoon) at a time, remembering how much money I'm saving.

I'm with you!

Re: Qutting Buddies new
      #311845 - 07/24/07 10:55 AM
AmandaM

No coffee two days in a row. I am fighting the urge to go grab a cup to stop the headache and the slow-moving feeling. I just keep reminding myself that if I do get a cup, I will probably be in the bathroom a few more times today and don't want that.

I think the withdrawal is supposed to go away in a few days. After that, it is sheer will power to keep from starting up again. Keep me posted as to how you're doing!

#311935 - 07/25/07 06:35 AM
SLHoutz56841

Reged: 12/05/04
Loc: We are right in the middle of the state of Pennsylvania, USA :)

Have you tried the new one Folgers is selling for sensitive stomachs in decaf? That's the only coffee I can drink ...

Sandra Houtz

--------------------
IBS-D, GERD, Hiatal Hernia --- very unstable

Yes, I have! new
      #311964 - 07/25/07 12:42 PM
AmandaM

I tried that one (and other sensitive tummy/low acid coffees from Trader Joes) a while ago and they bothered me just as much. The decaf ones made my tummy feel even MORE acidic, so perhaps they do something in the decaffeinating process to make it more acidic? I am not sure. I'm glad you can tolerate them

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1058 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3060

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review