All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Finally help for my IBS? Startling Find
      #311459 - 07/18/07 07:56 AM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

After over 20 years of IBS and trying everything. Even everything from this site and not getting relief, I read a post from a great person named Mary on this site. She sounded like me and my symptoms. I took her advice and followed through and have found out that I have a pelvic hernia and a prolapsed rectum. I have found out from the surgeon, that there are so many women with severe constipation and chronic straining that are unaware that they have a pelvic hernia that is causing all these symptoms. Gastro's and general physicians are not adapt
at recognizing this very common misdiagnosed condition. If you have had one or more children, vaginal deliveries with epesiotomy(sorry about spelling) and have severe constipation and bloating, and it is not helped with laxatives or medication, or diet, a simple trip to a surgeon -not a gastrointerologist can set you on your way. I am not saying all people with constipation have this condition, but after reading the book my surgeon gave me which he wrote, I have found that there are numerous women who are told it is stress or in there head but in reality, it all stems from the pelvic hernia. I hope this might help someone, like Mary's post helped me. I will be havinge surgery soon and I hope it will end my many years of misery. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy for all that are helped from this diet and fiber etc. But no diet or fiber would ever or will ever help anyone if they have this. (many people are diagnosed with IBS when they truly have this condition). Also, if I hadn't come to this site, I never would have known what to do to get to my correct diagnosis. No hypnosis, diet, fiber etc. will pick up your rectum off your pelvic floor. If the diet is failing you, don't blame yourself like I did. Move on and try something else.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Finally help for my IBS? Startling Find new
      #311460 - 07/18/07 08:07 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Wow,what a blessing to have found your answer (most probably)! Must think positively that you will have so much relief once you have the surgery?

Please tell me, does this condition only occur in women whom have been pregnant?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#311466 - 07/18/07 08:26 AM
whoopiecushion

From what I have read so far, child birth has a big part in it. I haven't finished reading the book about it so I don't have a correct answer for you, but I feel I had problems before my being pregnant. I read it can also be a result of having a hysterectomy. In addition, pelvic hernia is connected with rectal decent or prolapse and also rectocele which is when your rectum bulges behind your vagina. I do know that prolapses can come from extreme straining during bowel movements. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It is all new to me.

Re: Bump - Rectal Prolapse new
      #311700 - 07/21/07 03:56 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Hi all,

I haven't posted on this board in a long time. But I wanted to bump this up to be sure people see it. I had surgery for rectal prolapse last Sept. And my life is completely changed. I can eat whatever I want. No more spasms and constant pain and worrying. I even took a trip to Spain a few weeks ago and was fine! I just wanted to retiterate what Meg said. I tried the diet, but was continually getting worse. I searched and searched, and finally heard about rectal prolapse. I saw a surgeon and within a few weeks my surgery was scheduled. I don't know what causes this condition. I have not had children yet, so it's not just from pregnancy. I think I have had some form of it my whole life, but it gradually got worse. If you have any questions about rectal prolapse do a search and you can read all of my old posts. Or I check this board once in a while. I hope this info can help a few more people.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#311701 - 07/21/07 04:20 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Do you know if this just causes C and pain or if it can cause other IBS-like symptoms too like D?

How did they diagnose you, i.e. what test did they do to find the problem?

I don't think I have any structural problems but I will ask about these things when I start my biofeedback training for my sphincter control problem. I mean, it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side. And with my problems (D and incontinence due to previous paralysis disease) I want to make sure I don't have or risk to cause any more problems in there. I do have questions about it and I will ask the nurse who is in charge of the biofeedback.

I'm really glad you're doing so well now! That must be wonderful.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#311704 - 07/21/07 06:03 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I've never heard of it causing D. That would be very tough. With rectal prolapse the rectum falls and it kind of blocks the opening. So things can't get through. So I doubt you have it, but you're right. It can't hurt to ask. The main thing is if you feel something coming out when you push. That is a prolapse. The Dr. just has you sit on a toilet and push. If he sees it, then you have it. That simple. You can even look with a mirror at home. Although if you do have it prepare yourself, it's not pretty. HTH.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#312650 - 08/06/07 01:27 PM
whoopiecushion

I just wanted to say that I do have D- symtoms along with my prolapse. It seems that most people are constipated in general, but there are cases of people with D- or alternating between the two. Also, you don't have to have a rectal prolapse to have a pelvic hernia. A rectal prolapse is a form of pelvic hernia, but you can have a bulging rectum which pushes inside toward your vagina as well as outward out of your anus. I happen to have both, and they both cause elimination problems. Rectum bulging inside toward vagina is called a rectocele. I have learned so much lately. My surgeon gave me 2 books which he is the author of and I keep reading them over and over. Another common problem that can occur along with the above is Colon inertia, or paralyzed colon. This can be a main cause for people with chronic constipation and gas and bloat. Only a colon surgeon can diagnose this with a constipation study consisting of 5 or 6 tests. Colonoscopy or sigmoid tests will not confirm this. They will show no abnormalities It is commonly missed. Colon inertia is surgically treated with great success without a colostomy or ileostomy. A great book to read by my surgeon is called "Why Can't I Go? By Chris Lahr, MD. You will be amazed at what you read. I love this doctor because he seems to want to help women without blaming stress and IBS as their problem. He finds that women are not taken seriously and many times finds a truly physical reason for their suffering as opposed to blaming their mental state. I hope I can share what I am learning. Good luck.

Edited by whoopiecushion (08/06/07 01:30 PM)

#312726 - 08/07/07 10:48 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Is this something that can be found with a pelvic sonogram or is it something that the GYN can feel?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#316064 - 10/04/07 09:30 AM
whoopiecushion

Sorry for late answer, but the answer would be no. Only a surgeon can diaganose this with a simple exam which requires you to stand up while a rectal and vaginal exam is done. The key is standing up which no doctor ever has you do when they do a manual exam. The gravity is the key. Also, the diagnosis is confirmed with a test called a defecography. My surgeon told me when he went inside to operate, I had an opening in my pelvic floor the size of his fist where my large and small intestines had fallen down through. My large intestine had to be sewn back up and connected to my back bone. If you have a pelvic hernia with possible colon inertia, which is a paralized colon that causes constipation. The surgeon will do a transit study where you swallow a pill with plastic glow in dark circles in it. You are xrayed 6 days later and if the circles are still in your colon, that shows the extent of the paralysis. They you may need surgery to correct that too.

#344520 - 04/15/09 07:21 AM
missmel

Reged: 04/14/09
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I am new to the message boards. I have been reading them for awhile. I have had rectal pain since before Christmas and the GI doctor says it is stress and I will feel better when I stop working. I have had IBS type symptoms (gas, bloating etc) all my life and I know this is different but he is not taking me seriously. I have an appointment with a colorectal surgeon but not until July 15th. I dont know how I will last that long.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3277 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5408

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review