All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pepto Bismol??
      #311419 - 07/17/07 06:34 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

A nurse friend of mine told me to take Pepto Bismol for my IBS. I'm not sure if this would help. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pepto Bismol?? new
      #311423 - 07/17/07 06:38 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I used to take it a lot before I figured out that I couldn't eat onions and garlic (food sensitivity). Used it for nausea, stomach and abdominal pain, etc. I don't think it does much for IBS--just my opinion. It's bismuth subnitrate and absorbs toxins, etc. Just the name and the COLOR scare me. I don't think it's harmful to use occasionally, but not really "the answer." Turns your stools black--I have no idea why.

C

#311445 - 07/18/07 05:42 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Before I was diagnosed with IBS, I used to take Pepto several times a day, but I found that it hardly helped at all. Plus, I really don't like the taste But, as we all know, everyone is different, so give it a try and maybe it'll help for you - it certainly can't hurt.

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#311446 - 07/18/07 05:46 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I take it on really bad days now & took it daily before I was stable. It doesn't "cure" IBS but it does calm and slow things down for me. I'm not thrilled with the taste, but it does the trick and allows me to get on with my day.

For me, it isn't prescription or OTC meds that have helped the most. They've helped me along the way, but changing my diet is what really helped long term. Anyway, I'd say give the Pepto a shot.

Edited by Snorkie (07/18/07 05:53 AM)

#311451 - 07/18/07 06:29 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

The name and color scare me too...all I keep thinking about is stomach flu of years past! I don't know if I could get it down. Yucko!

#311469 - 07/18/07 08:37 AM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Pepto did absolutely nothing for my IBS-D; the taste was nauseating and an ingredient turns stools black. Immodium works for me on really bad days, which thank goodness they are becoming rare since watching what I eat & listening to the IBS Hypno tapes. Everyone is different tho, so maybe it will help you.
Connie
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1948

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review