All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety meds or Hypno tapes or both?
      #311402 - 07/17/07 12:02 PM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

Here's the thing, when I'm at home, I'm perfectly fine. I have no symptoms, or any pain. As soon as I want to leave the house BANG my stomach hurts. Even on vacation, same thing if I was at the house I was ok, but as soon as someone wanted to go some where my stomach started to hurt. Obviously it's anxiety, so my question is what should I try first medications or the hypno tapes? My husband recommend starting the meds and doing the tapes at the same time and maybe evidently I could stop the meds. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice what be great. Thanks Shannon

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety meds or Hypno tapes or both? new
      #311414 - 07/17/07 05:33 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can do both.

#311417 - 07/17/07 06:07 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

What does your Doctor say? Has your anxiety been assessed? I would go with a Doc's recommendation here. But, there's no right answer. Your husband is right. Meds can be helpful, but it takes a while to find the right one and the right dosage sometimes. Lots of people have found amazing results with the hypno - and it's definitely something worth looking into.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#311428 - 07/17/07 07:44 PM
Gracie

The hypno program is designed to work along with medications or it can stand alone. If her anxiety is just related to IBS, the hypno cd's will address that, and it won't interfere with any anxiety medications should she decide to take any.

#311496 - 07/18/07 12:05 PM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

My doc wants me to take Atavian (sp), but I'm really nervous about taking it, I've heard that it's very addictive. My anxiety is only IBS related, which is why I bought the hypno tapes, I just haven't started them yet. I've been on vacation since June and we're leaving again for Fl. on Friday, I was planing on starting the tapes when I get back. I did a search for alternative meds similar to the Atavian and found Kava Kava. I bought some this afternoon at the health food store, so I'm gonna try that and see how it works, it's suppose to work the same way the prescription drugs do. We'll see, I thought it was worth a shot. Thanks for all your advice, it's really nice to have feedback from people who know what your going through. Thanks Shannon

--------------------
IBS-A

#311670 - 07/20/07 01:58 PM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Hi. I'm firm believer that is a combo of things that work for depression,anxiety,ocd,etc. So I think the meds can assist but the suffer needs to also do coping mechanisms such as relaxation,journaling,and to find other healthy ways of coping. My mom takes ativan and has found a lot of success and helps her to sleep. Use your voice and explain your fears to your doc.

#311814 - 07/23/07 05:11 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

If you do both the hypno and the meds how do you know which one is working and if you can stop the meds? Debbie IBS-pain, bloat, trapped gas
My IBS is anxiety related too.

#311818 - 07/23/07 05:56 PM
Gracie

You should ask Marilyn the moderator on the Hypno boards. She speaks direclty with Mike Mahoney, and she has taken meds too, I'm not sure if she still does.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 804 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2139

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review