All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Update...
      #311382 - 07/17/07 08:25 AM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

Been following the diet...no exceptions. Started taking acacia since Saturday night...I am up to 1tsp 1/4..and started taking caltrate D. Now I feel all stopped up. Honestly, it is a break from the other...hahah. Is this what others have found to happen once they get going on the diet and the fiber?

Would increasing the fiber help?

Thanks all, you are the best.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Update... new
      #311394 - 07/17/07 10:38 AM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

You need to add more IF to your diet to help with the C. Also, calcium can cause constipation.

#311408 - 07/17/07 01:39 PM
Jennifer67

Thanks so much for the reply. I spoke too soon...I had a "D" episode a few hours ago. In babies r'us...and had to make a dash home. Honestly, it felt different than typical episodes. Usually when it happens I get terrible cramps...this time cramps but not horrible. Usually, I can't wait to get home...and this time I could. Usually, I go for hours once I start...this time once and done (for now).

Can anyone tell me if I could be taking too much acacia?

Thanks so much. Honestly, I know you all have had this too...I just am feeling like this is getting worse and worse. It started with happening every few months. Then the past 2 months, every month...now this month...a few times each week...this week 3 times.

Can anyone relate? I feel so alone in this...so ill. Hard to keep up the strength of breastfeeding when I feel so ill.

Thanks so much.

--------------------

#311413 - 07/17/07 05:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You're taking too much Acacia to start. It's only been 3 days and you're already at 1-1/4 teaspoon. You should start at 1/4 teaspoon two times a day, then increase your dose by 1/4 teaspoon after 7 days, and so on.

I know the container says to take 1/2 teaspoon 2 times a day but for many people that dose is too high.

#311439 - 07/18/07 04:46 AM
Jennifer67

Gracie...thanks so much for the reply. I am sure I sound like a broken record...Honestly, when you are this unwell...you search for any help. So thank you for the information.

What I just don't understand is why this has become so worse in the last 2 months. I use to have an "upset tummy" once in a while..than since Feb (4 months after having my baby)...It started again. However June and July I have had 1 episode weekly, and this week...3 episodes. I am going to my GP today, and really hope to get some answers. Could it be hormones coming back on line? I am still breastfeeding..but it is starting to taper off..and I started getting my period back in May (did not have one episode in May).

Having a baby makes you want to be well...

Thanks for the empathy...I know I am preaching to the choir.

--------------------

#311499 - 07/18/07 12:11 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I figure with IBS my gut is already cranky and confused so anything new I put in it is going to upset it. For Acacia and calcium and vitamins I advise starting at a very low dose and working up slowly. Start with 1/4 teaspoon of Acacia per day and go up by 1/4 teaspoon every 3-4 days. For calcium start with the lowest dose you can find - I started with 200 mg- and again go up slowly. Same thing with Vitamin D.

It's also super important to get lots of fluid - SF does it's best work wet.

My IBS got steadily worse. It went from a nuisance to a problem to a disaster to a catastrophe before I found this Website. I believe that since I kept feeding it foods it couldn't handle and not feeding it the SF it needed, it just got more and more irritated with me. It was like I'd continued to hit my thumb with a hammer instead of putting down the hammer and wrapping the thumb in a cool towel - it never got a chance to feel better.

Conversely, the longer I follow Heather's guidelines the more resilient my gut becomes. I'm not going to "get over" IBS but a slip in the guidelines isn't an automatic attack any longer and if I do get attacks they aren't nearly as horrible and don't last nearly as long.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1435

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review