All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Natural Calm Question new
      #314021 - 08/27/07 04:03 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

So many questions! I buy GasStop at a local organic grocery store chain (Vitamin Cottage), and I have bought it at Whole Foods before.

I don't eat a HUGE lunch; I try to never eat more than 1.5 cups of food at a time. For dinner, I just make sure I eat a small portion - about half of what my husband eats! I don't eat meat, so that helps. Maybe instead of a whole chicken breast eat half of one, and take the other half for lunch the next day?

My breakfast smoothie has a banana for SF and frozen berries for IF (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries). I add a little rice milk, some vanilla rice protein powder (helps keep me from getting hungry so quickly!!), and my acacia. I can manage to go almost three hours before I get hungry for my morning snack (cream of rice with 1.5 tablespoons of ground flax meal). Then for lunch I'll have leftovers from dinner the night before, or a Tofurky sandwich, or some Amy's soup. If you eat sandwiches, try adding a piece of lettuce or tomato slice for IF. I have been using hamburger buns lately instead of bread, and I use half of a white bun and half of a wheat bun, so that's some extra IF.

You really just need to slowly start adding in IF - but try to puree or blend stuff. The smoothie is a good start. Try bean dips or hummus with baked corn chips. That way the beans are pureed and easier to digest. For dinner, an easy one is pasta. I make my own sauce by sauteing garlic and then adding 28 oz of crushed tomatoes. then I'll throw in some chopped veggies like pepperoncinis, zucchini, fresh herbs, etc.

I take 1 tablespoon of acacia three times a day - but it took me a good year to work up to that dose, so be patient!! increasing too quickly gave me really bad gas, so take it slow. I just mix it into my three main meals so it gives me some SF cushioning.

Does that help? Did I answer everything?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Natural Calm Question - recipes new
      #314022 - 08/27/07 04:06 PM
Lisa Marie

For the recipe index, go to the "IBS Recipes" message board. One of the "sticky posts" at the top contains a link to the IBS recipe index. There's SO MUCH great stuff in there!

Also, give beans another shot, especially once you get the GasStop. I think it says to take one per meal, but I take two at a time and it works great! Lentils are definitely the easiest to digest.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#314045 - 08/27/07 09:28 PM

Unregistered

LOL I'm sorry didn't meant to bombard you with questions. I have finally...... take a bow Lainey.... got it now! You have been a great help as well as everyone on here who answered me.

It took me a while to get how to combined things. Even though I read Heather's book (IBS book and her cookbook) several times, it still wasn't sinking in until I applied it. I have the last 2 days started to introduce some fresh fruit, but I'm going very slow. I'm also making sure I eat a bit more at lunch with IF and SF so I don't get gas. I ordered the Gas Stop because Whole Foods didn't have it. When it arrives I'll start to introduce lettuce. That was always a trigger for me even back as a kid. A Gastro doctor told me "Butter Lettuce" is the easiest to tolerate so I bought that today. Tomorrow night I will start the fiber, but I'm going to start out with 1/4 teas for a week twice a day and see how I do. I'm so sensitive. I have other ailments that don't allow me some of the foods you mentioned, but I know how to substitute.

The main thing is the balance of IF and SF. I get that now. This morningo was the first time my tummy felt a bit better. Still pebbles, but not pain. That's because for 2 days I really made sure to eat the right way. Today I couldn't and sure enought tonight my tummy hurts.

I don't eat meat either. Stopped it years ago. My goodness for me, it takes days and days to digest it. I do eat like you said, half of the chicken piece the other half for lunch the next day, but I wasn't having the balance of bread and lettuce or fruit.

I can't have the protein powder, I wish I could. There is one amino acid I'm allergic to and it's in every protein powder so far that I've tried to buy. I can use the rice milk though. Thanks for your help. When I'm home mid week I'll lurk over at the receipe area.

Yeppie you answered all my questions. Again thanks so much!

Re: Natural Calm Question - recipes new
      #314049 - 08/27/07 09:46 PM

Unregistered

I plan on trying beans as soon as the Gas Stop arrives. I was told so many times how good it is for us yet I always thought what a trigger it was. I know it'll fill me up. Hope I can tolerate it and thanks for the hint of taking 2 pills instead of one. I'll let you know how I do when I try it. I'll go check out the recipes this week. One time a while back I found one for carrots and beets blended to make a mock spag sauce and it was so good!

Yes, try the beans new
      #314158 - 08/29/07 06:44 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

That is the food I go to when I really need to have a BM. I had some pureed baked bean over a sweet potato yesterday for dinner...and the results came this morning. Doesn't work everytime...but it gives me hope! Plus, I love the taste.

Check out Lisa Marie's recipe for Lentil and Butternut Squash soup on the recipe board. I eat it every week...at least 2 servings a week for lunch.

Oh, many local HFS carry GasStop. I've seen it at at least 4 privately owned HFS.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#314223 - 08/29/07 03:53 PM
Lisa Marie

You're very welcome! Sounds like you're starting to get the hang of everything. I know how overwhelming it all is, and trying to remember which food is in what category and what to eat first...!! Eventually it will all be second nature and you won't even think about it. Trust me!

I'm sure you'll find TONS of new stuff to try in the recipe index. Have fun with it!! Especially check out the desserts - the Ultimate chocolate pudding brownies are my FAVORITE!!!

Keep us posted!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Yes, try the beans new
      #314232 - 08/29/07 05:04 PM

Unregistered

Oh no LOL here comes Lainey with a question duck LOL
pureed how do you do that? In a blender? That meal sounded so good and I'm sure really fills you up as well!

#314233 - 08/29/07 05:11 PM

Unregistered

I really understand the balance act. It can be frustrating though. I had my warm rice cereal made with water this morning with Papaya, a 1/4 of a banana and apple sauce. My tummy felt so great. Then at lunch got brave and had one leaf of butter lettuce with dry tuna, black olives and a 1/4 piece of my Kamut bagel. Got a belly ache really fast even though I took some stomach enzymes. I know it was the one leaf of lettuce. I'm okay. Just bloated, but I'm not giving up. I'm going back to a few days of safe foods with the fiber (starting that tonight) and see how I do. Oh yeah I added eggplant just fine last night without the skin, steamed with my safe carrots and asparagus. So yeah I now know how to balance, but some foods are still triggers. I am waiting for my Gas Stop to arrive. Maybe then it'll be better. I'll go find the receipes now. Thanks!

#314273 - 08/30/07 07:44 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I just bake a sweet potato (if in a rush I nuke it). Sometimes I spread it with avocado, but lately I've just been using the baked bean (Whole foods brand is so good). The beans have flavors added to them (like molasses and tomato sauce)...so it's not like you are eating straight beans. I just put the beans in my mini cuisinart food processor to make a smooth paste. Then, warm it in the microwave and spread it all over the potato. I've started topping that with some cooked spinach. I eat the skin of the potato too. It is very filling and the SF from the sweet potato and the beans is really safe for me. It is very filling.

Did you look up Lisa Marie's Squash-lentil soup yet? I'm having that for lunch. So easy to make and so good...full of fiber.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#314280 - 08/30/07 08:56 AM

Unregistered

Can you put a link to Lisa Marie's recipe.I tried hunting it down, but I must not be looking in the right area? I found a bunch of recipes from Heather and tips from her in the IBS Recipes tab, but not anyone from the message board. Thanks! I have a blender so I'll try to puree on there or see if I can find a cheap small food processor. Sounds good!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 646 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review