All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Natural Calm Question new
      #313700 - 08/22/07 08:18 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for replying. Are nectarines safe since it seems plums and peaches aren't? I'm still trying to find my way around this board. Is there a list of what IF are safe for constipation? In Heather's book it seems more for IBS-D. I'll try the berry adding for lunch, thank. Nope haven't tried the fiber yet, scared to death since in the past I've had really bad experiences with fiber, even though I know hers is very safe, I don't think I'm eating enough for it to work. I'd like to add it when I can tolerate a small amount of IF. I agree with you, I do believe bananas are very constipating for me, hard habit to break, but I'll try to find something to switch too. Was everyone as overwhelmed as me in the beginning? I'm not even sure what are IF and the difference between SF foods so I'll go look at her book again. I'll also see if I can find any posts on here for it. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#313701 - 08/22/07 08:30 AM

Unregistered

I found the list on here for IF and SF foods and how to combined them. I'm printing it out now. Heather has done an excellent job in organizing all this for us. Thank you Heather from the newbie to this! And all of you who are helping me. Thank you so much! I feel like you are holding my hand while my stomach is really nervous trying and testing.

#313703 - 08/22/07 09:01 AM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to do the fiber because you dont feel like you're eating enough, but honestly, I was eating once or twice a day just a little bit and once I started taking it, I went the next day! And I have been going somewhat everyday and my pain in the morning has reduced significantly! So maybe when you start taking the acaia which is 100% SF, I think, you could be able to tolerate the IF way easier. Just start out with a small dose. I took a 1/2 2x daily. I should also mention that I am not sure if I get even 1% of IF a day haha which i know isnt good, but like everyone else im scared to add it in! But really, the acaica is good for me even without the IF.

Also, could you post the link for where you found that lists of foods and how to put them together? Thanks!

p.s. how is the natural calm working for you?

#313726 - 08/22/07 01:06 PM

Unregistered

First before I forget here's the list links

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
that's for SF

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp

that's for IF (above)

if my links didn't work correctly you go to the left side where it says HOME and under that where is says IBS diet/recipes and you can click on SF and IF and the lists are there. Heather talks a little about combination foods, not much though. However the lists of foods are very helpful!

So you eat as little as I do and the fiber works. That's good to know. I wonder if you feel the same, I have so many things coming up I am worried when to try it because if it doesn't work I'm ruined for the appts I need to be at. I need a time out to test things, you know?

The NC was great the first time I took it. I thought I found my magic solution. However, the second time I took it I didn't do as well. The 3rd time I took it I upped it to 3 tsp and now I'm in an acute flare up. I'm the petz dispensor of doodie balls, ugh. Lots of gas and bloat so I backed off it and will retry it tonight again and go with 1 tsp. It's not bad though, just have to find the balance. Also I had added a peach and plum that week so who knows if it was the NC. I'm just miserable until it straightens itself back out. Thank for your help.

#313750 - 08/22/07 06:57 PM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

Thanks for the links, they worked.

Honestly, I really think you should start the acacia. I eat even less than you but it still helps. I don't get any cramps from it and at most I have mild gas but I think id have that anyways. No bloating either. I think thats why the acacia is unique because it doesn't cause all the side affects that other fiber supplements do. It hasn't made my BM improve TOO much but it has definately helped with the cramps which is really my worst symptom. I know you may have to wait months though to get relief from constipation but I am willing to wait and keep taking it because it really doesn't cause me any trouble so why not? Alwaaaays keep in mind though, that it will more than likely take a while to see some results but it is definately worth waiting especially if it doesn't make you feel any worse, ya know? Try a 1/2 teaspoon at night and see how you feel in the morning and then take another 1/2 tsp. Hopefully you might see a little relief. The first morning after I took it I had a pretty normal BM!! That was only one time and I think it may have just been a shock of fiber hahaha but it was more than welcomed!

#313779 - 08/23/07 07:08 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I eat nectarines almost everyday. I hope they are safe! I also eat chopped, microwaved raspberries and strawberries in my cream of rice, papaya in my cream of buckwheat (also add 1 T flaxmeal to cereals), kiwi, mango sauce, mango/raspberry/strawberry/blackberry smoothies, sometimes oranges and 1/2 peeled apples, canned fruits.

It is extremely overwhelming and frustrating because just a because a food is listed as "safe" or someone else can eat it, doesn't me it will be okay for you. I'm still not sure if the foods I eat are okay for me because I am still in pain and struggling. But I have to eat something. My doctor said to go for a traditional healthy diet....without common triggers like fried, artificial sweeteners, high fat, etc.

I'm still leery about fructose....but nothing has shown me that I may have a problem with it. It's just that I read it can be problematic for some people...and that was enough to scare me.

I miss bananas.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#313809 - 08/23/07 04:47 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

No worries! We're all here to help each other.

It looks like you're really not getting any measurable IF until dinner. Do you eat snacks during the day? It's best to eat 5 or 6 times: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Do you get gas and/or pain during the day? If so, when? Have you tried digestive enzymes like Beano? I personally take GasStop with several of my meals every day, depending on what I'm eating. I don't take it with my smoothie because I know I don't need to. But anytime I eat beans or veggies, I take GasStop first. It has the same ingredient as Beano, but more potent.

I would suggest adding more IF to your breakfast and lunch, and adding a snack. It sounds like you're eating quite a large dinner, too, which can be harmful. It's best to eat your larger meals earlier in the day, and make dinner your smallest meal. Totally opposite of American culture, I know. But that one bit of advice has helped me a TON.

Try pureeing your veggies for awhile. Pasta sauces and soups are a great way to incorporate this. Check the recipe index (I know I've posted a few soup recipes), and I'll try to remember to post my red lentil pasta sauce recipe over the weekend.

For dinner, perhaps you're not ready for brown rice and brown rice pasta. It took me awhile before I could incorporate brown rice, and I still have to be careful with it. Perhaps stick with the white rice for now and make your veggie be your IF. Peas and lima beans are two veggies I've always tolerated quite well.

Also, try to keep your meal sizes to about 1.5 cups of food. Doesn't sound like much, but that's why eating 5 or 6 times each day is helpful!

Hope some of that helps you, if not, let me know!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Update and Natural Calm new
      #313818 - 08/23/07 06:16 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Quote:

I'm being tested for some other problems right now---low platelet count and low white blood count, so I'm wondering if my body's out of balance in some areas.

The doctor did blood tests, and I have a positive ANA--auto-antibodies. So....I might have an autoimmune disease. Don't know yet, more tests. Maybe Sjogren's Syndrome (I have very dry eyes). Possibly Lupus, but I don't have any symptoms of it.

Time will tell, but meanwhile, I'm fine, and Natural Calm is still working for me. I only take 1/2 tsp morning and evening. It seems to be enough, and it doesn't make me too "loose."

Cheers, everybody!

Calli

#313867 - 08/24/07 12:50 PM

Unregistered

Where do you get Gas Stop at? I looked it up on line, but I'd rather do without the postage cost if I can. Does Whole Foods have it?

I think I will start a new post/thread on listing our diets to see if we all can compare, takes pieces of it, or try it because I see a lot of us aren't 100% fixed or sure what works for us.

What do you put in your smoothie? I find if I just have a smoothie on an empty stomach I'm still hungry and can get a belly ache depending on what I put in it. But I'm open to try it, it sounds so good. Refreshing.

I have low blood sugar so I have to eat as you suggested 6 small meals grazing through my day. I have have breakfast, snack about an hour later, lunch, snack, snack and then dinner, snack, snack.

The problem I know I have is lunch. I eat way too late cause I'm just not hungry. I hope that changes when I empty my bowel some. Anyway, I eat late and have to get out of here so I make small quarter size turkey burgers plain and nibble on them for lunch and use them as a snack later. I know!! Horrible. Where's the IF in the lunch?? Breakfast is the apple sauce IF. Snacks I stink out. I am clueless. I'm allergic to wheat, but I'm trying to reintroduce it so I have have pita bread or saltine crackers.

What do you suggest for lunch? Beans are so gassy for me. Lima beans and peas really did a number on me way before I knew I had IBS so I cut it out. I guess all this will be introduced when I can get the fiber and IF foods in me.

Any suggestions to help me for lunch and snacks?

Where is the link to the receipes on here for us?

Also how do you take Heather's fiber. I'm going to start tonight. Do you put it in food or in water?

Okay gotta dash out of here, but I'd like to start a new post so we all can list what we eat.

Thanks for all your help I didn't proof so sorry in advance for mistakes, running late.

#313881 - 08/24/07 08:12 PM

Unregistered

Also meant to ask what do you have for dinner if you eat your main big meal for lunch? Anytime I've tried that my body doesn't feel right. Maybe cause of my low blood sugar or just used to eating that way.

Also with the above post it wasn't just apple sauce for breakfast, I have my warm rice cereal with 1/2 banana and apple sauce. It's the lunch that I eat very little and basically nibble on quarter size turkey burger plain that i make or 1/2 Kamut bagel with mashed banana on it or just plain kamut bagel like a snack.

I did buy mango today, berries and the papaya. I'm not used to the acid already have heartburn with just one little taste after dinner. I have to order Gas Stop Whole Foods didn't have it. I found it online. Sounds good.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2562 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review