All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Natural Calm Question
      #311258 - 07/15/07 05:05 PM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

Is it considered a laxative -- would my body become addicted to it??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Natural Calm Question new
      #311314 - 07/16/07 12:39 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

It's a very gentle, natural laxative. It's just plain old magnesium, so no need to worry about getting addictive. It works wonders!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#311316 - 07/16/07 12:48 PM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Lisa Marie:
I just bought some yesterday, but didn't realize it was a powder until I got into the store. I bought it anyway but I curious... does it taste awful?

#311317 - 07/16/07 12:51 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

Where do you get Natural Calm? I can't find it in any stores.

#311334 - 07/16/07 03:27 PM
Lisa Marie

Personally, I like it, but one or two others have said they don't. It just has a very sweet, tart taste. Just dilute it with more water if you don't like the taste. You just mix it with hot water and drink it like tea!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#311335 - 07/16/07 03:28 PM
Lisa Marie

Wild Oats and Whole Foods both sell it, or you can order it online.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#311367 - 07/17/07 07:25 AM
avjens

Can you take it with a magnesium supplement or is this good enough?

#311369 - 07/17/07 07:27 AM
Lisa Marie

I find that the Natural Calm is more absorbable and works better than a regular magnesium supplement. My calcium supplement also has magnesium, but not much. I wouldn't worry about getting too much magnesium; try adding the NC and see if you notice a difference. Start out with one teaspoon and increase by 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each night until you get the results you want.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#311370 - 07/17/07 07:29 AM
avjens

Thank you Lisa Marie! I am going to go our local Health Hut to see if they carry it otherwise, I will be ordering online!

#311498 - 07/18/07 12:11 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

1) Would this product be tailored to somebody like me who has C and trapped gas?
2) Does this get taken along with or in place of Benefiber, my current SFS supplement?
3) Do you take this daily or as needed?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#311604 - 07/19/07 04:02 PM
Lisa Marie

1). I'm not sure what you mean by "tailored". It gets things moving, which will also help your trapped gas, I would think.
2). It's not at all related to an SFS. Keep taking your SFS.
3). It works best when taken regularly. I take it each night after dinner.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#311610 - 07/19/07 06:15 PM
duckling

Reged: 01/20/05
Loc: Canada

hi,naturapanic, i think you're name is. you seem so frantic. can you calm down and just go back to eating the diet that is basic to elimenating all the triggers? i think that heather has it nailed. try not taking anything and just eating the basics from the diet and then going from there. i have done it twice in 10 years and it has been okay. i mean withtout prebiotics, probiotics, supliments..........blah blah blah. best of luck. but try to just follow heather's basics and go from there without the other crap. my best in sincerety.

#311674 - 07/20/07 02:57 PM
pts79

Reged: 10/31/06
Loc: Oklahoma

Personally, I tried Natural Calm and will use up what I've got, but probably won't buy it again. It did absolutely nothing for me. I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever. I take it at night before bed in hot water. People were speaking so highly of it on this forum, so I ran out to get some. Very disappointing. The taste isn't too great, I didn't think, but it's not terrible either.

#311737 - 07/22/07 06:31 AM
avjens

You do take it along with your fiber supplement --- I have IBS - C and bloating too. I only take it when I know things are starting to get bad.

How much were you taking... new
      #311788 - 07/23/07 12:04 PM
Lisa Marie

... And were you taking plain old Natural Calm, not the one that has added Calcium?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: How much were you taking... new
      #311798 - 07/23/07 03:14 PM
pts79

I made it up to 3 teaspoons a day. The bottle doesn't say anything about added calcium, so I'm assuming it's the regular one.

#311807 - 07/23/07 04:11 PM
Lisa Marie

I would suggest trying more than that before you give up. I was up to about two tablespoons (6 teaspoons) per night when I was on Effexor! But since I'm now off that, I only take 1.5 teaspoons per night. Once you are able to introduce more IF, you won't need as much. Are you using acacia too?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#311816 - 07/23/07 05:43 PM
pts79

Well, I suppose I could go up, but I don't see the need. My stools are loose enough and I think it will just make them looser. Don't get me wrong, looser is better for sure, but my problem is just not "going" often enough. I had read on this site that Natural Calm was making people go the next morning after taking it, which was the goal I was after.

#311874 - 07/24/07 02:43 PM
Lisa Marie

It really helps with both: making them looser and regularity. If they're loose, but you're not going often enough, you might just need more IF. Also keep in mind that it can be perfectly normal to not go every day. Do you feel "backed up" if you don't go on a particular day, or do you really not feel any different?

Do you exercise? Drink LOTS of water? Those two things are HUGE for dealing with C. Skipping my exercise routine for a day or two can be enough to throw my whole system off.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#311884 - 07/24/07 03:13 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I suppose then this is something which is best served when taken
-With a SFS
-Only when things are bad
-That dieting, exercise, Yoga, and Fennel are better front line attacks than Natural Calm?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#311910 - 07/24/07 07:13 PM
pts79

I suppose a person could always use more IF in their diet, so that could be a possibility. Since I'm still new at this, I'm trying to stay away from the already known possible triggers, so I might have gone too far with that since I haven't really figured out exactly what my triggers are. I do still eat those foods though without too much trouble most of the time. As far as water and exercise, at the minimum I walk two miles per day and drink lots of water. Water is my drink of choice anyway, so that's not a problem. By the third day I'm starting to feel backed up, but it's usually four days before I go.

#312067 - 07/26/07 09:28 PM
Lisa Marie

Not necessarily. I think taking the NC every night removes the stress of "Did I eat enough IF today so that I'll have a BM tomorrow morning??" I always know that I will!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#312584 - 08/04/07 10:54 PM

Unregistered

I'm going to try Nature Calm tonight for the first time. I'm so fed up with nothing working I hope it ends up being a positive for me. I upped my apple sauce and water and still get pebbles.

I have a question. Years ago I did myself in with colonics. After I seriously almost died from messing up my electrolytes I've been very much afraid of mag. and calcium balance. So what I wanted to know is can you take this much mag. without any calcium supplement along with it? I guess you can since no one is mentioning to add calcium along with it? I know calcium would plug me up even more.

I'm going to start with what it says 1 teaspoon, but when I need to go with Milk of Mag I need 4 tablespoons to go so is 1 tsp going to do anything?

Thanks!

#312666 - 08/06/07 04:41 PM
Lisa Marie

Perhaps start with 2 teaspoons... unless I'm too late and you already started! Don't be afraid to take as much as two tablespoons; I was up to that level at one point! I have to be very careful with Calcium; it really makes my C bad, so I don't take much of it in supplement form. I try to get the majority of it from fortified rice and soy milk. I hope the NC works for you - it's worked wonders for me! Even though I'm stable, I still take 1 teaspoon every night.

Keep us posted!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#312697 - 08/07/07 05:32 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Lisa Marie:
so I finally tried my NC (that I bought three weeks ago) last night and it was pretty good- I bought the lemon raspberry flavor and I could really drink it like a warm cup of tea- I started with 3/4 tsp so we'll see what happens- thanks for all your info!

#312732 - 08/07/07 11:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

You are stable with only 1 tsp of Natural Calm? How were you able to go from 2 or so Tablespoons to just one tsp and continue to "go"?

I wish the Acacia had worked for me as much as it has helped you. How much do you take now? It doesn't cause you bloat or gas or anything like that?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#312735 - 08/07/07 11:35 AM
jewelie

Reged: 08/07/07

it states to start with 1/2 tsp 2x per day. do you know how it affects people with ibs-d

--------------------
i guess i have had IBS for awhile now but it is acting up more lately. i have started the acacia and it seems to help with the IBS-D. iwant to be able to eat and go places without having to worry. no one understands my problem.

Naturapanic new
      #312743 - 08/07/07 12:43 PM
Jordy

Have you ever tried stopping all SFS? You have problems with bloating, like me. Don't you think the SFS makes it worse? Have you tried any other besides Benefiber.

I'm as frustrated as you!

--------------------

#312767 - 08/07/07 05:21 PM

Unregistered

I have to say the taste is wonderful and I wanted more so anyone afraid of that, it really is a very refreshing taste. I think it shows promise. I only took 1 tsp and although it felt like I was going to have a real BM all I got were those what I call doodie balls, but it did empty it out some. I'm going to increase to 2 tsp now and see how I do, but it really is nothing to be concerned about like I thought, and I do pick up calcium in other products my body is used to so I get the balance. I think if I took a calcium pill that would do me in with IBS-C. Whoever told me about Nature Calm, thanks so much and I'll come back and report when I actually have a real formed normal stool. It's just reassuring I have this to fall back on. I hope I'm not speaking too soon cause sometimes with me it can work one time and not the next, but so far so good.

What I like about this is it's not like the Fleet or Milk of Mag. It is very natural.

#312768 - 08/07/07 05:25 PM

Unregistered

Lisa Marie, I think you were the one to tell me about Nature Calm as well and a ton of thanks. I got the non flavored and it's yummy. Like I said in my other post I tried 1 tsp, but I need more and will work my way to 2 now. It's very harmless so far for me so I'm trying to raise it slowly and see how I do. Great product! Do I dare believe there is some hope?

#312794 - 08/08/07 07:37 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Hi Lainey-
Just wanted to say that NC has really straightened out my BM--much softer now, and I don't have bloating and gas hardly at all. I started with 1 tsp morning and another at bedtime, but have cut that back temporarily to 1/2 tsp morning and night. It says on the container to use as much as you need to so that your BMs are "comfortably loose."

I also take lots of calcium--so that's different than your situation.

Hope it works for you.

C

#312801 - 08/08/07 09:40 AM

Unregistered

Thanks so much for replying. The one time I tried it it was great though didn't get to a loose normal stool yet so will increase as I go along, but so far I was very impressed! I take calcium in other supplements I have to take for other issues so I'm going to be okay with that.

Really anyone reading this, I was the worst of the worst with IBS-C due to an antib I took that messed up my flora. Nothing was working, but Nature Calm is wonderful. It's very true, it really took away the bloat and gas, that's why I haven't needed to try it again just yet. I figure I will take as needed. I will increase though and never thought about taking it morning and night. I'll try that, the bottle says it's fine. Thanks!

Callie and Lainey new
      #312884 - 08/09/07 06:53 AM
Jordy

Are either of you taking an SFS?

I also need to take calcium...my bones are bad. I hate that I have to take it as I'm afraid it causes more C. I really should be taking more than I do (650 mg a day), but I'm afraid.

--------------------

Re: Jordy new
      #312940 - 08/09/07 02:14 PM
Calli66

I take acacia powder 2 tsp a day, one morning and one at bedtime. I take 1/2 scoop "Tri-Fiber" and it also has some SF in it. I take about 1200 mg calcium a day, and also Actonel for osteoporosis (my bone density has stabilized now).

I sometimes think that's too much calcium--I drink fortified "milks" and other stuff with calcium, too. I'm being tested for some other problems right now---low platelet count and low white blood count, so I'm wondering if my body's out of balance in some areas.

But I feel OK.

Calli

#313306 - 08/15/07 04:45 PM
Lisa Marie

That's great news!!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when something finally works??

Good luck! And you can increase the NC fairly quickly - not at all like the Acacia.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#313307 - 08/15/07 04:46 PM
Lisa Marie

Good luck!! Though I must warn you: I believe the flavored kinds have artificial sweeteners and flavors in them. Those are typically things we IBSers avoid. Just wanted you to be aware.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#313308 - 08/15/07 04:50 PM
Lisa Marie

The Effexor I was on was what caused me to NEED 2 tablespoons per day! Once I stopped that, all I needed was about 1 teaspoon per day. Wow!

I'm still taking 1 tablespoon of acacia three times daily. So far so good! I'm sorry you're still having trouble; I was wondering where you had disappeared to! Are you sure you didn't just go to quickly with the acacia? It took me a good year to get up to that dosage.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#313502 - 08/18/07 05:59 PM

Unregistered

I'm IBS-C

I'm frustrated. Do you have to take the NC every night? Or do you use it when needed?

I saw a new Gastro doctor last week that I liked a lot, and he feels I should get off the IBS diet since it's a low residue diet and not enough to make me go. I'm on the very limited diet another Gastro diet gave me which took away basically anything that makes you go because I was flaring. My Gastro said that's okay when I'm in an acute state, but not all the time. That other Gastro never said that so I stuck with the limited diet for over 6 yrs now. This is why I had bought Heather's books so I could learn how to reintroduce food, and her fiber.

My new Gastro wants me to eat more fresh fruit and veggies. Ouch.

Well, I have tried a plum, no skin very ripe and mushy and although I didn't go that much I didn't have gas pains. I tried the Chinese eggplant steamed without skin and again didn't go that much, but did okay pain wise. I waited a few days each time so not to over loaded my gut.

I had a peach last night without skin and some NC. I hadn't had NC in over 2 wks because the first dose was great. Pebbles, but gas and bloat were gone and I felt good so didn't want to push it.

Since testing these foods I feel stuffed up so took the NC last night 1 1/2 tsps and I'm so constipated today and miserable. I'll up the NC tonight to 2 tsp, but I have a question. Is this the reaction most get in trying to introduce food off the IBS diet? I am following Heather's advice to balance it correctly, but I'm still stuffed up. I'm afraid I'll never get off this restricted diet I was put on years ago.

Also he wants me to add fiber and he was fine with Heather's, but I'm afraid it's just going to become a brick in there since I can't get myself to eat enough of the foods to go yet. Any input would be welcomed so much. I'm drinking so much water and walking so I can't understand why I'm not going. Grrrr Thanks in advance!

Re: Callie and Lainey new
      #313503 - 08/18/07 06:01 PM

Unregistered

What is SFS? I'm not great with the codes on here.

#313504 - 08/18/07 06:06 PM

Unregistered

I like the taste a lot. I got the plain, no flavoring.

#313505 - 08/18/07 06:07 PM

Unregistered

Does it matter how much water you drink it in? I was drinking it in a coffee mug, hot.

#313507 - 08/18/07 06:11 PM

Unregistered

I was thinking about taking it morning and night. Did you do okay during the day after taking it? I hate to be out and have the urge, but just at night isn't enough for me right now. Glad it's worked so well for you. I really like it as well. A side bar here. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well and NC gives me some welcome energy too!

#313508 - 08/18/07 06:13 PM

Unregistered

I 100% agree about the exercise. If I can't do my walk for a day I'm backed up again. I drink tons of water, but that exercise is so important.

#313509 - 08/18/07 06:15 PM

Unregistered

Me too. I feel that security with NC that I haven't with anything else. I didn't realize taking it every night though thus my back up. I'm going to try every night now and see how it goes for me. Worrying about if I took enough IF or too much was driving me nuts.

#313646 - 08/21/07 12:25 PM
Lisa Marie

Heather's diet is not a "low residue diet". The "Break the Cycle diet" is a low residue diet. For someone with IBS-C, you need to (patiently!) add in more and more IF. Personally, anything similar to a plum (grapes, raisins, prunes, etc.) give me horrible gas. I don't even touch that stuff. Remember that Heather is IBS-D, so she may talk more about a high SF diet, which is not always helpful for IBS-Cers. We need more IF than Ders do. Keep in mind that it takes a LOT longer for Cers to stabilize. It took me about a year. You have to just stick with the basics. Your doc is right: you need more fruits and veggies because they have more IF.

You need to incorporate IF into every meal and snack. Even if it's just a small amount. Try some homemade hummus or bean dip for an afternoon snack. Try a breakfast smoothie. But introduce new foods slowly, one at a time. All I can tell you is the diet DOES WORK, you just have to be patient and stick with it!

Perhaps post a typical day's menu, and maybe I can help you more.

Good luck! I know it's frustrating, but it will all be worth it in the end.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

That's how I drink mine. -nt- new
      #313647 - 08/21/07 12:26 PM
Lisa Marie

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

SFS = Soluble Fiber Supplement new
      #313648 - 08/21/07 12:27 PM
Lisa Marie

There's a post-it note at the top of the message board with some common abbreviations.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#313672 - 08/21/07 06:49 PM

Unregistered

Exactly. I'm not on Heather's Diet. I was on the low residue diet now for over 6 yrs that a Gastro doc put me on for IBS. I only got Heather's books and fiber a few months ago. I got a little overwhelmed cause like you say she's IBS-D and I'm the complete opposite. I'm also afraid of the fiber since I'm on such little food to pass it out.

So sweet of you to suggest listing my day's diet. It's so basic it isn't hard to post. I would love if you could help make suggestions on what to import into my diet. Like what fruits do you eat that are safe, veggies, etc? I'm so overwhelmed how to do this and it seems everything new I'm trying is causing doubled over cramps and pebbles cause like you said plums etc were the wrong choice. I just didn't know.

Okay here is my diet and thank you so much. Are we allowed to post our e-mail address? If that is easier for us to talk let me know.

Diet: I drink 8 glasses of water per day

BREAKFAST

Brown rice warm cereal (or millet or kamut warm cereal) made with water
Patch of margarine
½ of banana
4 tsp of apple sauce unsweetened

4 cups of hot water sometimes more water

OR

One egg on kamut ½ bagel or slice of spelt or kamut bread dab of margarine KAMUT is wheat alternative bread at the health food store.

LUNCH

On the go a lot

Quarter size turkey patty (2)

Or
Slice of turkey and ½ of kamut or spelt bread

or tuna package for one

DINNER

Chicken with either brown rice pasta or brown rice or baked potato

Ground turkey with brown rice or pasta or baked potato

Or baked Salmon with either brown rice or brown rice pasta

Steamed asparagus and carrots every evening meal

SNACK AT NIGHT

Frozen banana
Apple sauce cup with 2 tbs of plain yogurt

Told you horrid, huh? I need help. Any input is so much appreciated! Thanks!

#313673 - 08/21/07 06:50 PM

Unregistered

Forgot with the diet I posted I also now take NC one tsp every few days at night. I tried 3 tsps but I got really bad stomach cramps.

#313694 - 08/22/07 07:05 AM
Jordy

I find bananas very constipating. I don't touch them. I'll write more later when I have time. I need more IF too....

I think you need more IF fruits....like nectarines, berries, etc. Especially with your lunch. And you could substitute the SF fruits with IF for your breakfast since your rice is pretty safe.

More later.....did you try your Acacia yet. I'm in the same boat as you. Oh, you can post your email address in your profile.

--------------------

#313700 - 08/22/07 08:18 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for replying. Are nectarines safe since it seems plums and peaches aren't? I'm still trying to find my way around this board. Is there a list of what IF are safe for constipation? In Heather's book it seems more for IBS-D. I'll try the berry adding for lunch, thank. Nope haven't tried the fiber yet, scared to death since in the past I've had really bad experiences with fiber, even though I know hers is very safe, I don't think I'm eating enough for it to work. I'd like to add it when I can tolerate a small amount of IF. I agree with you, I do believe bananas are very constipating for me, hard habit to break, but I'll try to find something to switch too. Was everyone as overwhelmed as me in the beginning? I'm not even sure what are IF and the difference between SF foods so I'll go look at her book again. I'll also see if I can find any posts on here for it. Thanks!

#313701 - 08/22/07 08:30 AM

Unregistered

I found the list on here for IF and SF foods and how to combined them. I'm printing it out now. Heather has done an excellent job in organizing all this for us. Thank you Heather from the newbie to this! And all of you who are helping me. Thank you so much! I feel like you are holding my hand while my stomach is really nervous trying and testing.

#313703 - 08/22/07 09:01 AM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to do the fiber because you dont feel like you're eating enough, but honestly, I was eating once or twice a day just a little bit and once I started taking it, I went the next day! And I have been going somewhat everyday and my pain in the morning has reduced significantly! So maybe when you start taking the acaia which is 100% SF, I think, you could be able to tolerate the IF way easier. Just start out with a small dose. I took a 1/2 2x daily. I should also mention that I am not sure if I get even 1% of IF a day haha which i know isnt good, but like everyone else im scared to add it in! But really, the acaica is good for me even without the IF.

Also, could you post the link for where you found that lists of foods and how to put them together? Thanks!

p.s. how is the natural calm working for you?

#313726 - 08/22/07 01:06 PM

Unregistered

First before I forget here's the list links

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
that's for SF

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp

that's for IF (above)

if my links didn't work correctly you go to the left side where it says HOME and under that where is says IBS diet/recipes and you can click on SF and IF and the lists are there. Heather talks a little about combination foods, not much though. However the lists of foods are very helpful!

So you eat as little as I do and the fiber works. That's good to know. I wonder if you feel the same, I have so many things coming up I am worried when to try it because if it doesn't work I'm ruined for the appts I need to be at. I need a time out to test things, you know?

The NC was great the first time I took it. I thought I found my magic solution. However, the second time I took it I didn't do as well. The 3rd time I took it I upped it to 3 tsp and now I'm in an acute flare up. I'm the petz dispensor of doodie balls, ugh. Lots of gas and bloat so I backed off it and will retry it tonight again and go with 1 tsp. It's not bad though, just have to find the balance. Also I had added a peach and plum that week so who knows if it was the NC. I'm just miserable until it straightens itself back out. Thank for your help.

#313750 - 08/22/07 06:57 PM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

Thanks for the links, they worked.

Honestly, I really think you should start the acacia. I eat even less than you but it still helps. I don't get any cramps from it and at most I have mild gas but I think id have that anyways. No bloating either. I think thats why the acacia is unique because it doesn't cause all the side affects that other fiber supplements do. It hasn't made my BM improve TOO much but it has definately helped with the cramps which is really my worst symptom. I know you may have to wait months though to get relief from constipation but I am willing to wait and keep taking it because it really doesn't cause me any trouble so why not? Alwaaaays keep in mind though, that it will more than likely take a while to see some results but it is definately worth waiting especially if it doesn't make you feel any worse, ya know? Try a 1/2 teaspoon at night and see how you feel in the morning and then take another 1/2 tsp. Hopefully you might see a little relief. The first morning after I took it I had a pretty normal BM!! That was only one time and I think it may have just been a shock of fiber hahaha but it was more than welcomed!

#313779 - 08/23/07 07:08 AM
Jordy

I eat nectarines almost everyday. I hope they are safe! I also eat chopped, microwaved raspberries and strawberries in my cream of rice, papaya in my cream of buckwheat (also add 1 T flaxmeal to cereals), kiwi, mango sauce, mango/raspberry/strawberry/blackberry smoothies, sometimes oranges and 1/2 peeled apples, canned fruits.

It is extremely overwhelming and frustrating because just a because a food is listed as "safe" or someone else can eat it, doesn't me it will be okay for you. I'm still not sure if the foods I eat are okay for me because I am still in pain and struggling. But I have to eat something. My doctor said to go for a traditional healthy diet....without common triggers like fried, artificial sweeteners, high fat, etc.

I'm still leery about fructose....but nothing has shown me that I may have a problem with it. It's just that I read it can be problematic for some people...and that was enough to scare me.

I miss bananas.

--------------------

#313809 - 08/23/07 04:47 PM
Lisa Marie

No worries! We're all here to help each other.

It looks like you're really not getting any measurable IF until dinner. Do you eat snacks during the day? It's best to eat 5 or 6 times: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Do you get gas and/or pain during the day? If so, when? Have you tried digestive enzymes like Beano? I personally take GasStop with several of my meals every day, depending on what I'm eating. I don't take it with my smoothie because I know I don't need to. But anytime I eat beans or veggies, I take GasStop first. It has the same ingredient as Beano, but more potent.

I would suggest adding more IF to your breakfast and lunch, and adding a snack. It sounds like you're eating quite a large dinner, too, which can be harmful. It's best to eat your larger meals earlier in the day, and make dinner your smallest meal. Totally opposite of American culture, I know. But that one bit of advice has helped me a TON.

Try pureeing your veggies for awhile. Pasta sauces and soups are a great way to incorporate this. Check the recipe index (I know I've posted a few soup recipes), and I'll try to remember to post my red lentil pasta sauce recipe over the weekend.

For dinner, perhaps you're not ready for brown rice and brown rice pasta. It took me awhile before I could incorporate brown rice, and I still have to be careful with it. Perhaps stick with the white rice for now and make your veggie be your IF. Peas and lima beans are two veggies I've always tolerated quite well.

Also, try to keep your meal sizes to about 1.5 cups of food. Doesn't sound like much, but that's why eating 5 or 6 times each day is helpful!

Hope some of that helps you, if not, let me know!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Update and Natural Calm new
      #313818 - 08/23/07 06:16 PM
Calli66

Quote:

I'm being tested for some other problems right now---low platelet count and low white blood count, so I'm wondering if my body's out of balance in some areas.

The doctor did blood tests, and I have a positive ANA--auto-antibodies. So....I might have an autoimmune disease. Don't know yet, more tests. Maybe Sjogren's Syndrome (I have very dry eyes). Possibly Lupus, but I don't have any symptoms of it.

Time will tell, but meanwhile, I'm fine, and Natural Calm is still working for me. I only take 1/2 tsp morning and evening. It seems to be enough, and it doesn't make me too "loose."

Cheers, everybody!

Calli

#313867 - 08/24/07 12:50 PM

Unregistered

Where do you get Gas Stop at? I looked it up on line, but I'd rather do without the postage cost if I can. Does Whole Foods have it?

I think I will start a new post/thread on listing our diets to see if we all can compare, takes pieces of it, or try it because I see a lot of us aren't 100% fixed or sure what works for us.

What do you put in your smoothie? I find if I just have a smoothie on an empty stomach I'm still hungry and can get a belly ache depending on what I put in it. But I'm open to try it, it sounds so good. Refreshing.

I have low blood sugar so I have to eat as you suggested 6 small meals grazing through my day. I have have breakfast, snack about an hour later, lunch, snack, snack and then dinner, snack, snack.

The problem I know I have is lunch. I eat way too late cause I'm just not hungry. I hope that changes when I empty my bowel some. Anyway, I eat late and have to get out of here so I make small quarter size turkey burgers plain and nibble on them for lunch and use them as a snack later. I know!! Horrible. Where's the IF in the lunch?? Breakfast is the apple sauce IF. Snacks I stink out. I am clueless. I'm allergic to wheat, but I'm trying to reintroduce it so I have have pita bread or saltine crackers.

What do you suggest for lunch? Beans are so gassy for me. Lima beans and peas really did a number on me way before I knew I had IBS so I cut it out. I guess all this will be introduced when I can get the fiber and IF foods in me.

Any suggestions to help me for lunch and snacks?

Where is the link to the receipes on here for us?

Also how do you take Heather's fiber. I'm going to start tonight. Do you put it in food or in water?

Okay gotta dash out of here, but I'd like to start a new post so we all can list what we eat.

Thanks for all your help I didn't proof so sorry in advance for mistakes, running late.

#313881 - 08/24/07 08:12 PM

Unregistered

Also meant to ask what do you have for dinner if you eat your main big meal for lunch? Anytime I've tried that my body doesn't feel right. Maybe cause of my low blood sugar or just used to eating that way.

Also with the above post it wasn't just apple sauce for breakfast, I have my warm rice cereal with 1/2 banana and apple sauce. It's the lunch that I eat very little and basically nibble on quarter size turkey burger plain that i make or 1/2 Kamut bagel with mashed banana on it or just plain kamut bagel like a snack.

I did buy mango today, berries and the papaya. I'm not used to the acid already have heartburn with just one little taste after dinner. I have to order Gas Stop Whole Foods didn't have it. I found it online. Sounds good.

#314021 - 08/27/07 04:03 PM
Lisa Marie

So many questions! I buy GasStop at a local organic grocery store chain (Vitamin Cottage), and I have bought it at Whole Foods before.

I don't eat a HUGE lunch; I try to never eat more than 1.5 cups of food at a time. For dinner, I just make sure I eat a small portion - about half of what my husband eats! I don't eat meat, so that helps. Maybe instead of a whole chicken breast eat half of one, and take the other half for lunch the next day?

My breakfast smoothie has a banana for SF and frozen berries for IF (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries). I add a little rice milk, some vanilla rice protein powder (helps keep me from getting hungry so quickly!!), and my acacia. I can manage to go almost three hours before I get hungry for my morning snack (cream of rice with 1.5 tablespoons of ground flax meal). Then for lunch I'll have leftovers from dinner the night before, or a Tofurky sandwich, or some Amy's soup. If you eat sandwiches, try adding a piece of lettuce or tomato slice for IF. I have been using hamburger buns lately instead of bread, and I use half of a white bun and half of a wheat bun, so that's some extra IF.

You really just need to slowly start adding in IF - but try to puree or blend stuff. The smoothie is a good start. Try bean dips or hummus with baked corn chips. That way the beans are pureed and easier to digest. For dinner, an easy one is pasta. I make my own sauce by sauteing garlic and then adding 28 oz of crushed tomatoes. then I'll throw in some chopped veggies like pepperoncinis, zucchini, fresh herbs, etc.

I take 1 tablespoon of acacia three times a day - but it took me a good year to work up to that dose, so be patient!! increasing too quickly gave me really bad gas, so take it slow. I just mix it into my three main meals so it gives me some SF cushioning.

Does that help? Did I answer everything?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Natural Calm Question - recipes new
      #314022 - 08/27/07 04:06 PM
Lisa Marie

For the recipe index, go to the "IBS Recipes" message board. One of the "sticky posts" at the top contains a link to the IBS recipe index. There's SO MUCH great stuff in there!

Also, give beans another shot, especially once you get the GasStop. I think it says to take one per meal, but I take two at a time and it works great! Lentils are definitely the easiest to digest.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#314045 - 08/27/07 09:28 PM

Unregistered

LOL I'm sorry didn't meant to bombard you with questions. I have finally...... take a bow Lainey.... got it now! You have been a great help as well as everyone on here who answered me.

It took me a while to get how to combined things. Even though I read Heather's book (IBS book and her cookbook) several times, it still wasn't sinking in until I applied it. I have the last 2 days started to introduce some fresh fruit, but I'm going very slow. I'm also making sure I eat a bit more at lunch with IF and SF so I don't get gas. I ordered the Gas Stop because Whole Foods didn't have it. When it arrives I'll start to introduce lettuce. That was always a trigger for me even back as a kid. A Gastro doctor told me "Butter Lettuce" is the easiest to tolerate so I bought that today. Tomorrow night I will start the fiber, but I'm going to start out with 1/4 teas for a week twice a day and see how I do. I'm so sensitive. I have other ailments that don't allow me some of the foods you mentioned, but I know how to substitute.

The main thing is the balance of IF and SF. I get that now. This morningo was the first time my tummy felt a bit better. Still pebbles, but not pain. That's because for 2 days I really made sure to eat the right way. Today I couldn't and sure enought tonight my tummy hurts.

I don't eat meat either. Stopped it years ago. My goodness for me, it takes days and days to digest it. I do eat like you said, half of the chicken piece the other half for lunch the next day, but I wasn't having the balance of bread and lettuce or fruit.

I can't have the protein powder, I wish I could. There is one amino acid I'm allergic to and it's in every protein powder so far that I've tried to buy. I can use the rice milk though. Thanks for your help. When I'm home mid week I'll lurk over at the receipe area.

Yeppie you answered all my questions. Again thanks so much!

Re: Natural Calm Question - recipes new
      #314049 - 08/27/07 09:46 PM

Unregistered

I plan on trying beans as soon as the Gas Stop arrives. I was told so many times how good it is for us yet I always thought what a trigger it was. I know it'll fill me up. Hope I can tolerate it and thanks for the hint of taking 2 pills instead of one. I'll let you know how I do when I try it. I'll go check out the recipes this week. One time a while back I found one for carrots and beets blended to make a mock spag sauce and it was so good!

Yes, try the beans new
      #314158 - 08/29/07 06:44 AM
Jordy

That is the food I go to when I really need to have a BM. I had some pureed baked bean over a sweet potato yesterday for dinner...and the results came this morning. Doesn't work everytime...but it gives me hope! Plus, I love the taste.

Check out Lisa Marie's recipe for Lentil and Butternut Squash soup on the recipe board. I eat it every week...at least 2 servings a week for lunch.

Oh, many local HFS carry GasStop. I've seen it at at least 4 privately owned HFS.

--------------------

#314223 - 08/29/07 03:53 PM
Lisa Marie

You're very welcome! Sounds like you're starting to get the hang of everything. I know how overwhelming it all is, and trying to remember which food is in what category and what to eat first...!! Eventually it will all be second nature and you won't even think about it. Trust me!

I'm sure you'll find TONS of new stuff to try in the recipe index. Have fun with it!! Especially check out the desserts - the Ultimate chocolate pudding brownies are my FAVORITE!!!

Keep us posted!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Yes, try the beans new
      #314232 - 08/29/07 05:04 PM

Unregistered

Oh no LOL here comes Lainey with a question duck LOL
pureed how do you do that? In a blender? That meal sounded so good and I'm sure really fills you up as well!

#314233 - 08/29/07 05:11 PM

Unregistered

I really understand the balance act. It can be frustrating though. I had my warm rice cereal made with water this morning with Papaya, a 1/4 of a banana and apple sauce. My tummy felt so great. Then at lunch got brave and had one leaf of butter lettuce with dry tuna, black olives and a 1/4 piece of my Kamut bagel. Got a belly ache really fast even though I took some stomach enzymes. I know it was the one leaf of lettuce. I'm okay. Just bloated, but I'm not giving up. I'm going back to a few days of safe foods with the fiber (starting that tonight) and see how I do. Oh yeah I added eggplant just fine last night without the skin, steamed with my safe carrots and asparagus. So yeah I now know how to balance, but some foods are still triggers. I am waiting for my Gas Stop to arrive. Maybe then it'll be better. I'll go find the receipes now. Thanks!

#314273 - 08/30/07 07:44 AM
Jordy

I just bake a sweet potato (if in a rush I nuke it). Sometimes I spread it with avocado, but lately I've just been using the baked bean (Whole foods brand is so good). The beans have flavors added to them (like molasses and tomato sauce)...so it's not like you are eating straight beans. I just put the beans in my mini cuisinart food processor to make a smooth paste. Then, warm it in the microwave and spread it all over the potato. I've started topping that with some cooked spinach. I eat the skin of the potato too. It is very filling and the SF from the sweet potato and the beans is really safe for me. It is very filling.

Did you look up Lisa Marie's Squash-lentil soup yet? I'm having that for lunch. So easy to make and so good...full of fiber.

--------------------

#314280 - 08/30/07 08:56 AM

Unregistered

Can you put a link to Lisa Marie's recipe.I tried hunting it down, but I must not be looking in the right area? I found a bunch of recipes from Heather and tips from her in the IBS Recipes tab, but not anyone from the message board. Thanks! I have a blender so I'll try to puree on there or see if I can find a cheap small food processor. Sounds good!

Sure new
      #314284 - 08/30/07 09:22 AM
Jordy

You can go into the Recipe Forum section of the message board. Or do a search and choose the recipe forum and type in a key word...such as lentil, with no time limits. Hope that made sense!

Here it is. yummy soup

You can get a mini cuisinart for about 30 bucks. I'm not sure a blender would work so great. It is kind of big for a small sticky quantity of beans. They may all end up in the blades and along the sides of the blender....but then, I've never tried it myself!

--------------------

Re: Sure new
      #314329 - 08/30/07 04:16 PM

Unregistered

Wow that does sound good! Thanks for the tip on how to find the recipes too. Okay, next time I'm at Bed/Bath I'll get one. You're right, when I blend some things they do get stuck at the bottom and the blades.

Re: Sure new
      #314396 - 08/31/07 02:22 PM
Lisa Marie

Glad you like the soup so much!! I'm anxious for Fall to arrive so I can start cooking with squash again, and making yummy soups!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#314558 - 09/04/07 04:14 PM

Unregistered

Is it possible to get a flare after using Nature Calm? I used 3 teaspoons the other night and was okay, (anything less does zip for me) but the day after gas started up and today I'm bloated and miserable. My belly is rumbling. Is it because I only use NC when needed? Do you have to take this every night? I've added more foods and for the most part have improved a lot, but notice a few days after taking NC I flare.

#314629 - 09/05/07 08:32 PM
Calli66

I'm not an expert on this, but my gut feeling (ha ha) is that it's better to take NC every day (well, I take mine at night). I know for sure that too much magnesium makes my belly rumble and gives me diarrhea. I made that mistake last week because I got some different calcium supplements that have lots of mag added, and then after I started having trouble, I figured out my new mega-multi vitamin had lots of mag. So it was too much.

Take a small amount like a tsp every day, and then increase it by 1/2 tsp if you're getting C. Anyway, that's my take on it.

Calli

#314668 - 09/06/07 01:40 PM
Lisa Marie

I would agree. I take it every day and it works great.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 980 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43762

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review