All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants that would like to share...
      #311146 - 07/13/07 05:33 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been ill for about 9 months now, other then my IBS and I was recently told by my neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic that he wanted me to try and "old" anti-depressent that is now being used for pain management and it is tri-cyclic. Is there anyone out there willing to share their success or disappointment with these types of meds, whether for IBS or depression, sometimes they go hand in hand....If you would want to share, you could e-mail me privately. I tried doing a search and came up empty handed, but I thought I had read that these types of meds are used on IBS patients, and some have an anticholanergic affect also. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants that would like to share... new
      #311147 - 07/13/07 06:26 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I have taken Elavil (a tri-cyclic anti-depressant) before, but not for IBS. I took it for many years for migraines at 45mg a day. It helped me for many years, but eventually I realized I needed something new. Maybe I built up a tolerance to it. Later I took it again for my bladder condition (Interstitial Cystitis), for pain. It did help quite a bit, and luckily I got to the point with another med that I didn't need it any more. I was on 50mg a day.

One of the common side effects of Elavil is weight gain. I did have a little bit of this because it increaased my appetite. However, I could control it by watching what I ate. Another common side effect is sleepiness/grogginess. This is most pronounced when you first start taking it. For me, it wore off as I got used to the drug after a few days, but I still wasn't quite as "sharp" as I was when off it. This affects some people more than others.

I was taking it for my IC after I was diagnosed with IBS, but I don't think it was helping my IBS at the time. I didn't notice an increase in symptoms when I went off it. It is good for pain though, which I wasn't having at the time.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#311156 - 07/13/07 10:54 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I take it for pain & IBS management. At such a low dose (10 mg at night), it doesn't actually do anything for depression or mood -- that's what my doctor told me. She said I'd have to take at least 4 times that dose. She also said that it's not the best drug to treat depression nowadays, since there are newer and more effective meds. I haven't had any side effects except for sleepiness -- but I take it at night to help me sleep so that's a plus. I've been on it since March '06. Overall, it's really helped with IBS and nerve pain from lupus and I'm glad I started taking it. (FYI, I'm also on Buspar for anxiety and another med for lupus.)

There was a long discussion about this in the Living Room recently and there's been discussions about this in the past, so you might want to do a search. You should find a good variety of people's opinions and experiences.

Best of luck with this med!

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants Maria!!Maria!!... new
      #311161 - 07/14/07 05:40 AM
LtDanFan

Maria!!Maria!!

What is the name of the one you are taking if I might ask. Thanks for the response, I did a search on the board and came up with nothing, so I will do one in the living room, Also, thanks ElanaDragon!! He has prescribed mine to help me sleep and for my pain, (not IBS pain), but I did remember a discussion about it for IBS....I'll search again!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#311167 - 07/14/07 09:02 AM
lalala

It's Elavil (amitriptyline). I also forgot to mention that the first month I started out with 5 mg a night and then I went up to 10 mg. I was really nervous when I started taking it so my doctor started me out slowly. See, I had been on tricyclics (desipramine and then imipramine) about ten years ago, but my old doctor back then started me out on too high of a dose (I think 25 mg twice a day) and all I did was sleep AND I had trouble urinating. I've had much more success and almost zero side effects with the low-dose amitriptyline.

I think the discussion on the living room board was started by LittleLisa...I commented on there also. One of the discussions was that you're probably going to still have attacks while on Elavil, but they'll be much less frequent and severe. Also, it may take a month or so before you see improvement and you may experience some mild constipation at first (but not bad if you've been D for so long!). I think I've only had a couple of attacks in the last year (although, please note, that the lupus was also aggravating my IBS, so once I was treated for the lupus my attacks lessened). If Elavil works for you, that plus the IBS diet should really help get control over your IBS. I still can't have dairy or trigger foods, but I'm feeling so much better that I don't really care. And I'm able to try out more of the recipes in Heather's book and on the diet board.

HTH! Again, if you try this medication, I really hope it works for you!

#311181 - 07/14/07 01:44 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks again!! I was given Elavil in the past to help me sleep and it made me jittery and I could not sleep at all. The med this doc wants me to try is Doxepine (adapin), he only wants me taking 10mg at bedtime, and mainly wants me taking it for my neuropathy and inability to sleep, I have not slept more then 4-5 hours straight in probably 10 years....I started it two nights ago, Thursday I could not get out of bed, finally I had to just shoot out of bed and get up and by 11 a.m. I was falling asleep sitting on my couch, however, it was not a restful sleep, I had what I call mini movies - I felt I was half awake and half asleep - and was living things and thinking I was actually doing the stuff I was dreaming?, anyway took one last night and did not sleep more then an hour at a time, restless, jittery. I know with these meds you have to give them time, but I just wish there was something out there that would help me sleep, I have tried it all!!! I had been taking 1/2 a .05mg of ativan, which is practially nothing at bedtime and I slept well for several hours and I wake up with my heart pounding and am unable to get back to a restful sleep..... I had a horrible IBS atack yesterday mid-day which is really unlike me, I usually have them late or during the night. I can say that I was very reluctant to start this medication, only because I'm tired of having to rely on a "pill" to try to make myself and my life "normal". Thanks for the reply, I may try going back on the elavil and taking it longer to see if it does help.

--------------------

Re: LtDanFan! I had the same sleep problems! new
      #311192 - 07/14/07 02:31 PM
lalala

Wow! The sleep problems you describe are exactly what I was experiencing until I started the Elavil. "I was falling asleep sitting on my couch, however, it was not a restful sleep, I had what I call mini movies - I felt I was half awake and half asleep - and was living things and thinking I was actually doing the stuff I was dreaming" -- YES! This is exactly what I was experiencing! Sometimes I actually felt like I was floating around my apartment, making lunch and such, but really I was sleeping the whole time. ANd it's a series of waking up, dreaming, falling asleep, but not really sleeping...It's TERRIBLE. And you know, not sleeping well really makes my IBS worse because a bad night's sleep is stressful and leaves you more susceptible to the effects of stress. Plus, not sleeping enough seemed to make me more sensitive to pain during the day and more anxious.

I also take Ativan for panic attacks and for those nights I can't sleep. I swear the best sleep I get is when I take my 10 mg of Elavil with .5 mg of lorazepam/Ativan. Trust me, do NOT feel bad about having to take meds to live a normal life. If you need to take the lorazepam with the adapin for a while, then do so; ask your doctor if that would be okay. I only take lorazepam (.5 - 1 mg) a couple of times a month or when I'm in a situation that may cause panic (for example, flying). Remember that lorazepam only lasts 6 - 8 hrs, so if you're only taking .25 mg at bedtime, it's going to wear off and that's probably why you're waking up with a panic attack (I'm assuming that's why your heart is pounding -- that's definitely one of my symptoms of panic). I have a heart murmur that comes and goes, and so far it has not been made any worse by taking Elavil. Your heart racing could be more of an anxiety reaction than a side effect of your med.

Anyway, I really believe that it's better to take meds and be able to live life and enjoy it, then not take it and suffer. I've been on my meds for one year now and for the first time in nine years I have flown TWICE this summer, gone on a real vacation, gone to a huge concert, visited family and SURVIVED (and following the IBS guidelines during those trips). I never thought I'd fly again! And, even though, I'm not ready to be a jet-setter at least I know that I can do it and that there is something that will make me comfortable and not crazy during a flight.

A few years ago, I thought going on meds made me a weak person, but after being diagnosed with lupus and my IBS getting worse, I realized that resisting meds actually was making me a weaker, unhappier person. I really felt like I was losing myself. In the end, thanks to the inspirational people on these boards, I had to learn to be a friend to myself which meant not judging myself or setting expectations that were unnecessary or ridiculous. Life is not perfect now and I have bad days and days with attacks and days I cry and feel sorry for myself, but the majority of my days are getting to be "normal."

Sorry to go off like that, but I just want you to do what's best for you! Don't be so hard on yourself if you have to rely on meds. As someone pointed out to me: Would you be so hard on yourself if you had to take meds to manage diabetes or another chronic condition? I hope not! Hugs!

#311209 - 07/14/07 05:18 PM
LtDanFan

Oh my, it's so nice to hear from someone who knows what you are talking about so you don't feel like such an idiot explaining it to people, who look at you like you should be in a rubber room.... Did you have the floating mini movies while taking the elavil and ativan? Mine has happened before but was really bad the first night I started the Adapin, I swor I was having a heart attack and kept getting up to get my neighbor, but hadn't left the bed....I literally had to jump out of bed to make myself get out of that sleep/dream state. I didn't like it at all. My neurologist said I could take the two meds together, but was concerned that the ativan is "addictive" and said to gradually cut it out. Now I have been using this drug since December and have not taken anymore then half of one at bedtime and it was prescribed to take 3 times a day. Have you gained any weight with the elavil? I know I need to gain some, but I dont' want to that way, I feel a lot of the weight from this type of medication is water weight, especially if a side effect is unable to urinate! I'm still taking my IBS medication which has a lot of the same side effects, dry mouth, difficulty urinating, or sweating, etc. Hmmmm, I think I still have some elavil, I may try one of those and one whole ativan, do you take them together when you can't sleep?

I too have the occasional "pity" party and cry a lot, today was one of those days and I'm not sure why, especially since this new med is supposed to be for depression also. I know I would take medication to help diabetes or hypertension if I had it but I guess since so many people look at IBS as a ridiculous problem, at times I feel they are right. I have met a few people on this board who have experienced and IBS attack like I have and now you with the sleep "mini movies" lol....it just makes me feel better I'm not losing it!! Thanks again so much for sharing, if you don't want to discuss things on the board you can always e-mail me privately!! Thanks again!!

--------------------

Great post, Maria! (m) new
      #311217 - 07/14/07 06:12 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I love everything you say about using meds to be able to enjoy life. And I especially appreciate your thoughts about Ativan. With everything that's been going on in my life health-wise over the last year I started getting mini-anxiety attacks. My doctor prescribed Ativan but I've really dragged my feet on using it aggressively - I always feel like I "should" be able to cope without it. I'm hoping your post well help me stop being such an idiot, start taking it when I need it, and get on with things.

And I'm really glad to hear life is getting increasingly "normal" for you.

Many thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Great post, Maria! (m) new
      #311271 - 07/15/07 10:01 PM
lalala

Thanks, Sand. I definitely don't think of you as an idiot! A lot of my current success, with managing the IBS and lupus and anxiety, has to do with advice you've given me and comments you've left for others. So, really, I should be thanking you!

What I've noticed with taking the anti-anxiety medications, like Ativan, is that once I use it to experience something that used to induce panic (like going to a movie), it allows me to see that the situation is not bad or scary. Then next time I try that same experience, I won't take the Ativan and I'll remind myself that I succeeded doing this once before. Not sure if that makes sense...Basically, Ativan allowed me to return to activities I was avoiding, reintroduced me to it and showed me there wasn't anything to be afraid of. I guess that would be called exposure or something? Of course, there are things like flying and then random panic attacks I have (especially when my lupus flares, I've noticed), so I take it as needed.

Best wishes with your own Ativan-use and anxiety management! I am feeling a lot better lately, and I think part of that has to do with not beating myself up for not being "perfect" or "strong."

#311272 - 07/15/07 10:08 PM
lalala

Actually, the floating mini-movies stopped once I started the medications. It also stopped me from waking up in the middle of the night in a panic. Elavil has really improved my quality of sleep.

When I can't sleep, I take my usual Elavil dose and then, maybe, .5 mg of Ativan/lorazepam. It's very rare to have nights like that, where I can't get to sleep, since I started the Elavil so I feel safe taking both once in a while.

I don't mind discussing most things on the board! It's great to find other people here who understand what you're going through, isn't it? It's also great to learn how people cope with those issues. I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding IBS -- it's easier for them to blame it on one's personality or something, rather than try to understand what a functional bowel disorder is and how it affects your life. My dentist gave me some really good advice: "Drop the negative people from your life." I have done that, but I've also had to set up rules for people I can't cut out of my life (family) by letting them know that I'm NOT WILLING to listen to their "imaginary" expertise or well-intentioned advice. Support isn't someone telling you how to fix yourself, support is someone listening and trying to understand, caring bout you and not judging you for something you can't help. I've gone as far as inviting family members who didn't understand my IBS-D issues to join me in the bathroom when I had an attack. They didn't accept the invitation and they kept their mouths shut after that.

#311278 - 07/16/07 02:39 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Hi I just came back from cleveland clinic at there pain center. I go back to anesteseogist on Thurs. Anyhow I have perphieral neuropathy and ibs is seperate. Anyhow I was on Neurontin,lyrica,elavil and now cymbalta. I think it takes a lot of trial and error and sometimes getting up to a huge dose for pain relief. Also a combo sometimes. In the program I was in many had great sucess but it takes time and dealing with many side effects depending on the person. I didn't read through all the replies but if I can help in any way please feel free.

#311284 - 07/16/07 06:42 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Now that you mention it, I know exactly what you're talking about when you describe the mini movies. I have had that happen to me before, where you're in bed asleep, but you think you actually get up and do normal things. It must have happened to me when I was on the Elavil, because I don't think it has happened in a while.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#311351 - 07/16/07 06:01 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I started taking Elavil right after I was diagnosed with IBS in Feb. I take 10 mg at night. It does make me sleepy, so I was taking it late at night, right before I went to bed. My attacks come around 10pm, and the frequency did decrease, but I found that if I took it earlier (8pm), it did decrease the severity of attacks too. I follow the diet strictly, and do not touch trigger foods.

I know what you mean about sleep meds - I tried Ambien one time. I took it in the evening. I woke up at 3am, completely dressed, laying across my bed with the lights all on! I have no idea how I got there, the last thing I remember is watching TV that evening. I felt like I had gone on a bender and was suffering the hangover all the next day! That was scary! Needless to say, I never took Ambien again.

Take care!

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants *caprice* new
      #311352 - 07/16/07 06:32 PM
LtDanFan

thanks caprice, if you don't mind me asking, what were you at the Cleveland Clinic for? thanks for the heads up, I do believe it is going to be a lot of trial and error with the meds, this one is just not working, I didn't sleep at all last night and my heart was on over drive today....need to get some sleep!!

--------------------

Re: LtDanFan! I had the same sleep problems! kimberste new
      #311354 - 07/16/07 06:37 PM
LtDanFan

I have seen a lot that people have been given elavil. I think I may call my family doc about that again and give it a try again. I have such a hard time with medication that is supposed to make a person sleepy, make me feel like I've drank 4 or 5 cups of coffee, and I don't drink any!!!
I have tried, Lunesta, horrible headaches about 2 o'clock the next day, everyday!!! did sleep well, Ambien, zombie sleep, not restful, elavil, long ago...may try again, and two others I can't hink of the name. I actually started taking half of a phenergan, which is for nausea, cause that does make me tired, and was using that a while back to help me sleep, then I read it can be addictive....Good lord, I just want to rest!!! I am very strict with my diet, giving up my lactaid milk was the hardest thing, I just can't tolerate rice or soy milk in my cereal, but I do now, I still do not like it, and miss the lactaid so much, but don't want to be crumpled over in horrendous pain and massive D.... thanks for your input!!

--------------------

#311486 - 07/18/07 11:20 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I took a low dose of Bentyl (generic it is called amitrytipline) at 10 mg once per day. I did so for about one year. It was not enough to have any effect on depression or anxiety, but it did help me somewhat with my IBS pain. At the time, though, I was not on Heather's diet, so I still experienced frequent diet related episodes of D. Plus, it caused me to put on a bit of weight (about 10-15 pounds). Weight gain and lethargy/tiredness are common side effects of tri-cyclic ADs. I ended up going off of it because I felt it wasn't working and I hated the weight gain. Perhaps had I been on this diet at the time, it would have benefited me more.

My perspective on taking any med is this: If, personally, the benefits to you of taking the medication outweigh any of the side effects, then try it. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work and you have to move on to something new. It's frustrating, but if it helps, won't you be glad you took the chance? I hope whatever you decide to do gives you some reprieve from your symptoms! Best of luck!

#311533 - 07/18/07 04:47 PM
LtDanFan

Hi, AmandaM, Bentyl is not amitryptaline, this is generic for elavil, which is used for sleep and depression/anxiety. I have lost so much weight that gaining wouldn't be that bad, but they can't find out why I lost and can't gain.....I'm so confused with all these meds. I will have been on this new stuff for a week, tomorow. I have not gained any weight, I'm not sure how long it takes before you start gaining and I have not slept.....but I'm going to stick with it a little while longer and get a second opinion. thanks for your response

--------------------

#311640 - 07/20/07 09:27 AM
AmandaM

Oops! You're right! I've been on so many meds I get their brand names and generic names confused! I took the generic form of Elavil.

It took a while before I gained weight from it. Probably a few months. It did help me sleep, though. Just hang in there and give it some time! Meds often take a couple months to take hold. Good luck to you!

#311666 - 07/20/07 01:38 PM
caprice

Sorry for the late reply. I did there pain clinic day rehab program for my pn and also for anasteseolgist apt.

#311667 - 07/20/07 01:48 PM
caprice

Also what I noticed in the program that I was in with people on these meds and for myself is it takes awhile to adjust or see benefits. Also usually it may take getting to a higher dose or a combo. Like my cymbalta was just increased and added doxepin. On a side note could you ask about a seperate med for sleep and then one for the pain? I understand your frustration cause I feel the same and have a very hard time with meds. Hang in there and I will try to check back more to see if you have any ?'s though not an expert.

#311683 - 07/20/07 05:43 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks for the response caprice. Are you using the doxepin for sleep or pain? I was told once my sleep depravation is better my pain will be, I'm a week with these pills and still not sleeping, but feel horrible the next day, feel like a zombie and like I could sleep, but can't, usually don't for fear that I won't sleep the little bit I do at night. I'm watching the weight thing, just to see, I read that it increases your appetite, so the weight gain would be from me eating more, not the pill (like water weight). I've seen the commercials for the cymbalta and it sounds a lot like me, is it working? Do you work? I ask only because I wonder how people take these medications and work. I will continue the meds as long as I don't loose my job...

--------------------

#311684 - 07/20/07 05:44 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks AmandaM for the well wishes. I will still with the meds. I also read that it is constipating, that is good since I'm IBS D, however, I don't want to become IBS C....I wonder if I should increase my Acacia?

--------------------

#311697 - 07/21/07 12:32 AM
caprice

Well my pain was to the point I can't work now and why the rehab though my pain was too intense for that. If I don't make huge progress on my own I may need to get a tunneled epidural catheder which puts the meds in so that I can do aggressive rehabilitation. The doxepin is for both pain and sleep. What is your pain from? Have you ever tried trazedone? When I was on that it worked the best for my sleep but went off and now just working with the meds I need for the nerve relief assistance. I would call your doc and express your trouble. Have you tried other meds like neurontin or lyrica those are well known too but it depends on our pain. Maybe you need an increase on elavil but of course ask your doc. As for the weight you need to be healthy for the body to absorb. I had to gain a lot and this was through a lot of sick and pain but you need to think of it as medicine. I truly believe its a combo not just one thing that works. A nutritionist can help cause when I was on weight gain I ate over 4000 yes that is right. Take care.

#311722 - 07/21/07 02:34 PM
LtDanFan

caprice,
my pain is in my upper back, it gets so severe at times Ihave difficulty breathing. It burns and gets numb and tingly also. I also have numbness and pain that radiates down my left arm into my thumb and pointer finger. I have had the back pain since about October of last year, and have had every test imaginable except and MRI of the brain to see what it is. Like today, my son was moving and I helped, now I'm in one heck of a pickle, hurting like to get out!! This is the first medication I have tried for sleep/or pain. Tylenol, Aspirin, Advil none worked. Aleve give me more Diarrhea. I don't like to take pain meds. My husband tried the Lyrica for his MS, he said it made his brain feel fuzzy....stopped it and he now take Zanaflex. Anyway, I am now 1 week with the meds, I don't have a day off until Tuesday, so I will have to call him then. Thanks

--------------------

#311781 - 07/23/07 10:23 AM
AmandaM

I like meds that tend to make me C as well since I am a D. However, my body simply cannot tolerate fiber supplements no matter how slowly I try to increase or how small a dose I start with. I cramp horribly and get awful D.

However, I think it's safe to say that if you notice feeling C from the AD, either incorporate more IF into your diet or increase your fiber dosage slowly and be sure to drink lots of water. It will hopefully offset the C symptoms from the ADs.

#312135 - 07/28/07 04:26 AM
caprice

Hi just checking in. I'm sure then you had an emg. Also I know when my emg didn't show they ordered and ssep which is when emg don't show as much and then I did get more results on dx. Also with that test it was a few months later and my emg showed more. I had the mri of my brain and you may want to just to rule it out. What types of docs have you seen? I know for my pain over the counter don't work well even vicadin didn't for me. I know I don't like those kinds of meds cause they do cause other issues. I know many have had good results with tramadol for pain relief. Did you talk to your doc about the meds? It sounds like and am no doc but you have some type of neuropathy too. I know the biggest med which I tried is neurontin for that. Lyrica did similar to me as for your husband. I do know starting at a lower dose and working up is better which some docs don't do. As for the c issue but yours is d but the other poster. I have c and cymbalta causes that but I would rather be c then in pain. They started me on stool softners which I stopped recently cause I felt so nausea on them but may work for some. Hang in there

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 968 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7602

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review