All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help!!
      #310937 - 07/11/07 11:22 AM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

Ok, I have not been diagnosed with IBS as of yet (I have a gastro appt in October...geesh). I went 10 days with just abdomen pain, no D. Then today...I ran to the toilet to have 5 more bouts over 2 hours. My hubby is home on vacation, so he watched our 9 month old...but I feel horrible. After 5 bouts over 2 hours, I feel tired..and drained.

I do take fiber (generic Metamucil)...but honestly...I am ready to try anything new. Please any advice. Would taking acacia help more than my current fiber?

I just bought Heather's book...should I follow it religiously?

Has anyone had my symptoms...and are now feeling fine?

Thanks so much for the help.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!! new
      #310943 - 07/11/07 12:27 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's possible you're IBS-A (alternating between D and C). It's also possible you're primarily C and the D attack was the C resolving. From reading your other posts, though, it sounds like you're probably IBS-D. The "constipation" you suffer after having a massive D attack may simply be because there's nothing left in your system to get rid of. When I was still having horrible D attacks it wasn't unusual for me wait as long as 3 days after one before having to poop - I was just emptied out. And that feeling of "incomplete evacuation" is a classic IBS symptom.

Having said that, it is still crucial that you get all the necessary testing done but following Heather's approach now won't hurt and if your final diagnosis is, in fact, IBS then you'll be ahead of the game.

Brand name Metamucil contains both Soluble Fiber and Insoluble Fiber. If your problem is IBS-D, you'd probably be better off with a soluble fiber supplement (SFS) that contains ONLY Soluble Fiber. There are a lot of them on the market - you can read all about them here: web page

I think Acacia is great and since it provides more Soluble Fiber per dose than most other SFS I find it cheaper to use. Be sure to start at a low dose and increase slowly.

If you want to give Heather's approach a try then, yes, you should follow it religiously. Once you stabilize you may (I repeat, may) find you can occasionally manage some of the "forbidden" food items but until then avoid them. You might want to try Heather's Break The Cycle Diet for 1-3 days. This is all Soluble Fiber foods and should help calm your tummy down quickly. It's insanely boring but can really help. Try it for at least one day but no more than 3. And the peppermint tea can really help (not advised if you have acid reflux).

You might also try Imodium to help get things under control while you're stabilizing. Some people take an Imodium every day as a preventive until they stabilize. And when you finally do see your GI (October, sheesh!) ask about an anti-spasmodic.

I was about as D as D gets and following Heather's guidelines means no more food-related attacks for me. I do still get stress attacks sometimes but even those are much less severe when I'm eating carefully. And I found Imodium and an anti-spasmodic actually helped with the stress attacks once I began following Heather's guidelines whereas before they had basically done nothing.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#310950 - 07/11/07 01:23 PM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

don't forget to rule out parasites. get a stool test.

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

#310962 - 07/11/07 03:57 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Quote:

Some people take an Imodium every day as a preventive until they stabilize.

I have followed Heather's diet since last summer and I have been on loperamide since October 2005 I think. I do consider myself mostly stable these days but I still need the loperamide. Usually 8 mg a day but during some periods 4 mg a day. I need to have slow bowels though to be able to be out and about since I have the sphincter control issue and most people would call what I find optimal to be constipated. I do think it will get easier once I have had surgery for the sphincter problem as I will feel much safer and more confident then. And I also think I will have more room to work with and decrease the mental triggering of my IBS then. However I still think I will probably need to stay on a daily maintenance dose of loperamide although hopefully lower than now even if I get good help with the sphincter problem and don't have to worry about incontinence anymore.

Sand, did you mean that you can only consider yourself stable if you don't need daily medicine anymore?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310963 - 07/11/07 04:09 PM
Jennifer67

I don't have "D" daily...I have it 2-5X's a month. What I typically have is the feeling that I am still cramping a bit after going. I don't go much...and have to keep trying, going very little 3-4 times in the morning. Some days I feel fine, other days I have that cramping, other days I have ab pain. Is it typical that I could have ibs without having "D" everyday?

--------------------

#310965 - 07/11/07 04:17 PM
Jennifer67

Crazy...does a GI do that?

--------------------

#310986 - 07/11/07 06:39 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello,

I was exactly like you a while back. Yes! You should buy Heather's books and follow them religiously! She has helped me so much. I have the cookbook to, and I love it.

A few years ago I took Metamucil, but I soon found it to be too harsh for me. I use Heather's acacia in the pm, and Citrucel in the AM. Both of those are very mild and have worked wonders for me.

Do you eat much SF foods? How about trigger foods? Do IF foods give you trouble?

#310992 - 07/11/07 07:34 PM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

yep, or even your regular doc. just have them order you a complete stool check for common parasites, like c.diff, e.coli, giardia, b.hominus. I had b.hominus and had to take flagyl for a few months.

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

Re: Help!! *DELETED* new
      #311062 - 07/12/07 12:16 PM
Sand

Post deleted by Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#311064 - 07/12/07 12:19 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Good, that's what I think of as stable too.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

P S Just out of curiosity Sand, how old are you?

Old posts new
      #311215 - 07/14/07 06:05 PM
Sand

Here are the posts I mentioned:

How long to feel better

How I ate to begin with

Posts that helped me when I was starting out

Some meal suggestions

A couple of things that I don't think show up in these posts are:

I ate a *lot* of pretzels. They're a great take-with snack and for a while I think every lunch I had started off with them.

I found it very comforting to know I could have sweets even when I felt like I couldn't figure out anything else to eat. I must have made a thousand pans of Anti-Depressant Brownies in the first year I was on the Diet.

I hope this helps. Hang in there.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3949 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review