All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm new here.
      #310842 - 07/10/07 06:37 AM
Jenny3

Reged: 07/10/07
Loc: SE, PA

I came across this site while researching IBS information. Boy, I could really use some help.

I have never been diagnosed as having IBS but my mother has it and I'm experiencing everything she has gone through over the past years.

I seem to have the urgency kind of IBS where I can feel completely fine and then bam, out of nowhere, I HAVE to find a bathroom. Then, once I go, there are several trips to follow. It's so embarrassing.

What I really hate about it is that I can literally turn it on by just thinking about it. I can be somewhere, have an episode and then whenever I go back to that same place I will think about what happened there before and bring it on again.

Or if I have to be somewhere at a specific time it stresses me and it starts things up. It is getting to the point of taking over my life. I'm finding that I'm not attending certain events because of a long car trip or lack of bathrooms.

Please help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm new here. new
      #310843 - 07/10/07 06:52 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi there!

First of all, as most people here will recommend, you should get the diagnosis from a doctor and preferably have all the necessary tests done to confirm that it is in fact IBS you have.

You can also look through the EFI diet rules (see the menu in the left margin). There is also a lot of info on lifestyle and how it affects IBS.

Do you have just urgency or do you have loose stools as well? Either way, since you feel this is very much triggered by your worrying and your anticipating problems plus connecting the problems to places and events where you've previously had problems I really recommend working with the way you think et.c. The condition is not "in your head", but the way we think can really help or hurt. Check out the section about hypnosis for IBS (again in the left margin) - you can for example buy CDs with self hypnosis. If you have any questions about this then ask in the hypnosis for IBS board. I would also personally like to recommend a book I am currently working my way through which is about cognitive behavior therapy for IBS. It is called "Breaking the bonds of irritable bowel syndrome" and is written by Barbara Bradley Bolen.

Good luck and feel free to ask, ask, ask!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310844 - 07/10/07 07:10 AM
Jenny3

Reged: 07/10/07
Loc: SE, PA

Thanks. I will check out all of that information.

Yes, I have the loose stools, too. It's just frustrating that I can simply think about it and start it up. The worst feeling is going somewhere finding out that there are no bathrooms and then bam, it begins.

My husband doesn't understand. I told him that unless he has experienced what I'm going through, he has no idea.

Whatever I do to curb this I would prefer a natural solution rather than a medication.

I will check out what you recommended.

Thank you so much!

#310886 - 07/10/07 04:33 PM
NikkiM

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Albany, NY

I understand completely what you are going through...there are certain stores that as soon as I step foot in, I have to go to the bathroom. I just bought the hypnotherapy CDs and listened to Day 1 today. I am also going to start Heather's diet and a SFS. I am hoping if I attack this from every angle, it will help!
Good luck!

#310926 - 07/11/07 09:56 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Welcome! You should try Heather's diet of what to eat when you can't eat anything. IT really helps stabilise symptoms and is a good place to start when beginning Heather's general IBS diet.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#310928 - 07/11/07 10:16 AM
Dyzie848

Reged: 04/04/06

I just read your post, Jenny, and if I didn't know better I would think that I wrote it. I have never been diagnosed with IBS but I have all of the symptoms. I think mine is caused from having my gall bladder removed, but I've never gotten any help from anyone in that area.
You may want to try the Fennel Tea sold on this site. Sadly, I can't use it because is causes diarrhea in me, even though I love the taste. And make sure you try the Acacia powder, too. That has help me, also, even though I haven't actually been diagnosed with IBS.
And don't worry about your husband; he'll come around. Mine has been going through this with me for over 30 years. This condition does tend to insist that you make some life adjustments when it comes to travelling, going to weddings, eating out with friends, etc.
I wish you well.

Dyzie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 877

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review