All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Bloating - what worked for you?
      #310691 - 07/07/07 04:23 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi everyone, I don't contribute much but I read here a lot. I've had IBS for about 7 years now. I was always a 'C' but in the past couple years my bloating got a lot worse. Not a day goes by when I would feel comfortable. I wake up at least a little bloated and get worse during the day. I feel like it doesn't matter what I eat, I get bloated even if I stick to safe foods only. I was tested by my GI doctor for celiac disease and he found that I don't have it.
Are there any fellow "C-ers" that found a way to battle bloating? What did you do and what did you eliminate? I'd love to hear an answer from anyone but I feel that Cs have more triggers in common with other Cs than with Ds.
I'm just so miserable, all of my clothes are too tight and I'm in pain all the time. Why does it take such long time to get better? I mean, once I get all the trigger foods out of my system (if I use an enema it should only take a few days) why don't I feel better if I only stick to safe foods afterwards? Since there's nothing that should cause bloating why is it still going on? Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating - what worked for you? new
      #310693 - 07/07/07 04:47 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Wow

Same here! The fiber and tea make it a little better, but sooner or later I have a really bad day. I recently found this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestinal_bacterial_overgrowth/article.htm

and a thread that was 4 years old

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=146840

from some people undergoing treatment-said treatment was quite drastic-but I am going to demand (beg, wheedle, insist) that my GI let me try it. The amino acid fast is well over $200-I can't afford it, and I need a prescription for the antibiotics-but I'm desperate. I had my husband take pictures of my horrible bloated belly, because needless to say the morning of my appt I won't be bloated-I'm often not so bad until midafternoon...(but that is a powerful incentive not to leave the house in a pair of jeans in the morning isn't it?) and my GI has only to smirk at me to make me feel like an idiot blathering nonsense and frantically waving computer printouts at him-and he's one of the best in his profession...

I'm convinced that IBS-C has complications secondary to the dysbiosis itself-in this case the study demonstrated that the methane created by these bacteria stopped peristalsis and caused constipation in IBS sufferers. It seems so farfetched, doesn't it-but nothing else is helping and I may not have time to try and deal with it again.

I have to get out of here because I'm getting so angry I will really start to sound crazy...but this is ridiculous isn't it?

#310712 - 07/08/07 11:22 AM
Zara

Did you have the hydrogen breath test done? I had it done a year ago and nothing was found so I don't think I have SIBO. However, I will see my doc soon so I will ask about this...
I wish finding out what works didn't take so long. I'm so frustrated, I feel like I've been trying for ages and nothing works . I feel stupid at family reunions and celebrations because I have all these dietary requirements that keep changing all the time as I'm trying to figure out what bothers me!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Have you considered ... new
      #310717 - 07/08/07 03:53 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

that you might be able to control the methanogenic bacteria in your bowel - the ones responsible for producing methane that slow peristalsis - through your diet instead of using a strong and perhaps repeated antibiotic treatment.

Some current research suggests that if you reduce the food sources available for methogenic bacteria you can reduce their population in the bowel and therefore reduce the amount of methane they produce.

For example it is known that sugars such as lactose, fructose and sorbitol that are malabsorbed pass through the small intestine into the large bowel. These sugars are quickly digested by methanogenic and other bacteria in the last part of the small intestine and first part of the large bowel.

The secret to this approach seems to be to consider not only the amount and ratio of SF and IF that you eat but also pay attention to the the types of SF and IF you eat.

References
Gibson, P. R., E. Newham, J. S. Barrett, S. J. Shepard, and J. G. Muir, 2007: Review article: fructose malabsorption and the bigger picture. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 25, 349-363.

Goldstein, R., D. Braverman, and H. Stankiewicz, 2000: Carbohydrate Malabsorption and the Effect of Dietary Restriction on Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Functional Bowel Complaints. Israel Medical Association Journal, 2.

Pimentel, M., H. C. Lin, P. Enayati, B. van den Burg, H.-R. Lee, J. H. Chen, S. Park, Y. Kong, and J. Conklin, 2006: Methane, a gas produced by enteric bacteria, slows intestinal transit and augments small intestinal contractile activity. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol, 290, G1089-1095.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Have you considered ... new
      #310732 - 07/08/07 08:20 PM
yowwza

I'm going for both-antibiotics, and maintainance diet

#310735 - 07/08/07 09:46 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Ugh...I am right there with you on the bloating, I also get really gassy. For me, I take a ginger based pill called "Reflux Away." I know it sounds like a SNL gag, but it truly works, even if I just have a general upset stomach, it really makes me feel so much better.

I also do a lot of yoga when I get gassy and bloated. The poses I incorporate into my normal routine are: shoulder stand,wind relieving posture, downward dog and wheel. All of these can of course be found on this site.

For managing my C with diet, I eat a lot of jasmine rice with really cooked down vegetables. The veggies I use are carrots, corn, peas, scallions and water chestnuts. I also usually toss in chopped almonds or walnuts to get some added protein. Last week I struggled a lot with C and my pooch belly and gas, so I ate this concotion a lot. I flavored it with Litehouse Blueberry Pomegranate Vinaigrette and it turned out really well. I eat a lot of bananas, mango and Activia Yogurt as well. I also walk my dogs pretty much every day, and if I don't get a chance to walk, I work in our yard in the evenings after dinner.

I hope this will help someone...I know I am thankful for stumbling upon this web site, I have a come a long way since I discovered it last summer.

But anyways, take care everyone!

#310745 - 07/09/07 06:05 AM
Zara

Thanks, the recipe sounds yummy! I don't take the ginger pill but just purchased some ginger tea so hopefully the effect will be similar.
You said you eat Activia yogurt - any problems with that? I LOVE dairy but at this point I'm really ready to give it up if it helps. I haven't had any in a couple weeks and I think it really helps with C. I can't stand soy substitutes (they make me really bloated) but I found that the Rice Dream brand of rice milk is pretty good and you can get it unsweetened to use for cooking.
I don't know much about yoga but I'm going to look up the poses you suggested and try them.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#310754 - 07/09/07 07:31 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Acacia has worked wonders for my bloating! I used to have it daily, but very rarely does it occur now. I also drink Yogi Teas "Stomach Ease" tea which is GREAT for gas and bloating.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#310755 - 07/09/07 07:32 AM
Syl

Great! Keep us posted on the breath test if you doctor prescribes it and on the changes you make to your diet. I would particularly interested in your dietary modifications and what information you used to guide you when you made these changes.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#310760 - 07/09/07 08:33 AM
yowwza

Actually, I have no dietary ideas right now. These organisms thrive on very little protein and starches/sugars, and so are almost impossible to eradicate. I haven't always had this problem, so they came in from somewhere (I used to be able to eat a plate of fruit with no problems-I'm afraid of fruit now, and just cut up the beautiful summer melons for the kids)-I really don't know much, and can't afford to buy any more books and supplements.

In my naivete I think these bugs (if I even have them) came from a horse or cow-those animals are naturally somewhat gassy and bloated. Maybe that's the bacteria I have.

Everything I read online gives them a different name and cause. Did I eat something bad? Pick 'em up at a restaurant, or a particular type of food? Why haven't the hundreds of $$ worth of probiotics I've taken displaced them?

The only surefire way to wipe them out with diet alone (I've read) is to water fast. That would wipe me out as well though, even providing I have the fortitude to do that-and I have 4 kids to take care of...

Meanwhile, I will try this experiment while I have the time-life's about to get really busy in the fall

#310766 - 07/09/07 10:42 AM
Syl

Methogenic bacteria are common in the flora of the large bowel of humans. They do not have to have come from an outside source. Given a good enough food supply their populations can grow and methane production increase.

SIBO - small intestine bacterial overgrowth - is associated with many kinds bacteria overgrowth in the ilieum or distal end of the small intestine. SIBO is not limited to methanogens. In SIBO the bacteria are either not being sweeped out of the small intestine into the large bowel properly or they are finding their way back into the small intestine from the large bowel. It can result from a slow transit of food through the bowels, from certain medications, surgery and diseases.

I sure would be interested in hearing if your doc prescribes a breath test for SIBO. You might also ask for a breath test for lactose and fructose. Might as well get all the breath testing you can get done at once.

Good luck.

--------------------

#310771 - 07/09/07 11:26 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

That's great that you found ginger tea, I'm sure it will make you feel better, just ginger itself is a great treatment for GI problems.

As for the Activia, I don't have any problems. I know with IBS you are supposed to not eat dairy, but I can eat yogurt with no problem. I buy the nonfat yogurt as well, usually vanilla and I eat it with my cereal in the morning, the Acacia fiber mixes in and dissolves really well with the yogurt too. So you might want to try it. If you want to try another brand of soy milk, I think Silk is awesome. They also sell unsweetened soy milk.

And I hope you do enjoy the recipe of veggies, nuts and rice. I usually cook the rice in a pot on the stove, and I cook the veggies and nuts in my wok. Once everything is all cooked, I mix the rice with the veggies in the wok and add the vinagrette then. I hope it works for you.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

#310777 - 07/09/07 12:29 PM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

"I wish finding out what works didn't take so long. I'm so frustrated, I feel like I've been trying for ages and nothing works . I feel stupid at family reunions and celebrations because I have all these dietary requirements that keep changing all the time as I'm trying to figure out what bothers me!"

LOL! I have to say I really can relate to this comment. I feel this way all the time as I keep changing ideas about how to solve this problem. My relatives all think I am crazy.
Quote:

#310783 - 07/09/07 01:54 PM
Zara

Silvergypsy, I'm glad that the Activia is working for you! I'm afraid to eat it right now but when I get stable (if ever :-)) I will try it again. As for your recipe, I think it would also work with quinoa - I love quinoa! I think I will try it sometime this week!

gigi, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel bad because my relatives want to prepare meals according to my needs but I have to them that although two months ago milk was ok but wheat was not, now I'm trying a different diet and it's exactly vice versa! Sometimes I wonder if they take me seriously and if they think I'm nuts

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#310918 - 07/11/07 09:22 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Zara, I can relate as i always seem to be telling my family and family-in-law what i can and can't eat. I feel really embarrassed because it's different every time. I get C with bloating and gas and find that it's quite unpredictable. I find that if i stick to a very basic diet of mostly SF then i get significantly less bloating but as i'm a C i know that i need IF but not sure how to go about including it safely. Plus, i'm getting really bored and fed-up with my current diet of mostly SF. You have my sympathy, sorry i'm not being of much practical help.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#310920 - 07/11/07 09:30 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Zara,

I am C also and I am finding that with fiber and gas-ex it is helping a ton. I also use Miralax every morning which is a stool softner. The longer I am on heathers diet the more the bloating is being reduced. By staying away from Trigger foods it is giving my system a chance to remove what I have eaten in the past prior to the diet. Each day seems to get a little better. I am starting to find more of a balance of SF and IF that works for me. Each person is different and eventually you will find what is more comfortable for you.

In the begining I was very concerned about adding IF and it was making things worse for me. So I am learning to do a little at a time and am starting to figure out what affects me and what doesnt.

I hope this helps.
Abby

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

Abby Re: Bloating - what worked for you? new
      #310922 - 07/11/07 09:40 AM
welshsarah

Hi abby, i hope you don't mind my asking but what does your daily diet involve? I have the same IBS symptons as you and i'm finding the diet really hard to stick and am getting bored of it. Many thanks

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Abby Re: Bloating - what worked for you? new
      #310929 - 07/11/07 10:19 AM
abby6126

I know how you feel. The first two months I was getting frustrated and felt like I didnt have any variety and wanted so badly to eat out. But as I got used to the diet I realized that I just needed to adjust the things I ate and began making so many things that were safe for me. There are so many substitutes that taste just the same as the real thing!

FOr breakfast: Cereal and Soy Milk, Homemade bread (oatmeal, banana, corn bread), Oatmeal, pancakes, bagel and peanut butter or tofuti cream cheese ocassionally I will have lox on a bagel

Lunches, Fish, Tuna, homemade bread, bagel, chicken and turkey, tons of snacks( pretzels, gram crackers, bagel chips, penut butter, luna bars, cooked veggies etc...)Check the safe snack list

Dinner: pasta, rice, bread, chicken, fish, mac and cheese (receipe board is fantastic) potatoe (sweet, mashed), oatmeal, I make my own pizza, cooked veggies, and soo much more.

Check the receipe board as the ideas and meals are endless. Believe me, it takes time and I am finally starting to see the difference, but it is worth it. And if you decide to go out to eat be careful but so many restaurants can make the changes to help you!

Hope this helps a little

--------------------

#310931 - 07/11/07 10:30 AM
welshsarah

Many thanks Abby; you make it sound easy! Will persevere and take on board your suggestions. Best wishes

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#310932 - 07/11/07 10:32 AM
abby6126

It takes time and i am still working on becoming stable but I have realized that we have so many choices we just have to take them. Good luck and let me know how things are working out!

Abby

--------------------

#310935 - 07/11/07 11:08 AM
Zara

Welshsarah, I'm glad to hear that the SF reduces bloating for you. I hope it will work for me, too. But you're right, it's hard to find the balance since we need IF to get things moving! I'm sorry that the diet seems boring to you. I just take my favorite recipes and alter them to fit the diet. For now, I don't make anything that needs dairy (I don't tolerate soy "dairy" well) and I reduce the amount of fat in preparation. Plus, I make sure I have enough SF on the side (lately I've been in love with quinoa).

Abby, thanks for your advice and meal ideas! That's good that you found the balance between SF and IF. I still need to work on that. I'm afraid that without IF I won't be able to go but I'm really trying to make sure I also get my SF. How did you find out about the fructose sensitivity, did you have the test done or was it through elimination diet?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#310939 - 07/11/07 11:34 AM
abby6126

In the begining it was elimination and my doctor told me that I should stay away from certain fruits. Back in April I have a breath test for several sugars, frutose included. My levels were pretty high, so I have stayed away from fruit but hope that once I am more stable I will be able to add some back in.

--------------------

#310993 - 07/11/07 07:42 PM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

my GI doc gives me xiphaxin, an antibiotic every so often because he thinks i get bacterial overgrowth in the intestines. i use a lot of probiotics as well. Bio-K plus soy formula probiotic has been great. it looks like a container of yogurt but it has 100 x the lactobacilli. Gaviscon antigas/antacid works ok for me too. the liquid.

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

Abby new
      #313730 - 08/22/07 02:02 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

What fiber helped your bloating? They all make mine worse.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Abby new
      #313753 - 08/22/07 07:35 PM
abby6126

I use citracel. Two caplets after breakfast and two after dinner. I dont think it started to work right away. Once I started to get the hang of what to eat I think the fiber really started to help

--------------------

#313776 - 08/23/07 06:54 AM
Jordy

Thank you! that's very little SFS....only 2 grams I think....but if it works, that is the *key* we are all seeking.

You also use Miralax, right? Do you take your cup-ful in the a.m. before breakfast or at night before bed? I've heard advice to take it both ways. I've never tried it at bedtime, though. Maybe that would help reduce bloating?

--------------------

#313787 - 08/23/07 08:46 AM
abby6126

I take my cupfull in the morning before breakfast

--------------------

#317138 - 10/22/07 08:22 AM
Jordy

What kind of cereal do you eat, Abby? And do you have a recipe for your homemade bread for your tuna and turkey?

Do you choose brown rice over white? It just seems like you are having such success with your C....and I just can't figure out what I'm not doing that you are doing!

--------------------

#317145 - 10/22/07 09:40 AM
abby6126

Cereal I eat (oatmeal flakes: trader joe brand), Cascadian Farms (organic): Multi grain squares and occasionally the Purely O's. I can also eat chex. I also just started using Almond Milk (original) because I was finding that too much soy was making me a little bloated; although I do eat a lot of soy products and tofu. I will be cooking mostly with soy milk and drinking the almond milk

Mostly for tuna and turkey I will buy Italian Bread and Rye (pepridge farms because they do not use milk or high fructose) As for homemade bread I do follow recipes from this site. I actually made the Potato bread in a bread maker and it turned out well. I also buy at the health food store bread mixes that I add all the main ingredients to. I also love spinach and sundried tomato wraps from trader joes.

I eat brown rice, white or spinach pasta. I try to incorporate 2 small portions of veggies at dinner eat night.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2760 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18870

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review