All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
confusion and depression over IBS diet
      #310679 - 07/07/07 12:48 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

I've just read Heather's book, and find it really helpful. However, I can't tolerate the staple "safe" foods suggested (bread, crackers, white rice etc) as these happen to be my most reliable trigger foods of all. I had a bowl of rice last night after reading the first part of the book, and have a swollen painful belly to prove it.

It's not lower belly pain, as Heather describes it, but upper right quadrant pain, under my breastbone and ribcage. It almost never goes away. (I've had liver and gall-bladder sonograms-everything looks normal-no stones or enlargements, and I was even tested for hepatitis-all clear) My GI Dr. said it's just pain caused by my colon, which is distended with gas and pushing on my other organs. Nothing to worry about. Just go home and take more fiber and Miralax.

It seems that the only thing on earth that I can eat (apart from vegetable broth) that doesn't cause a bad response is (the non-gassy) steamed vegetables. I seem to have bad reactions to all grains and breads, (including hot and cold cereals) as well as legumes and tofu products. That's most probably gluten intolerance, and some sort of intestinal damage. I have become so sensitive to sugar that there is an almost immediate arthritic reaction in my hands when I eat it. I am trying to eliminate my sweet tooth because it has become a liability.

I don't know where all this leaves me nutritionally, but I was so counting on the book to outline a diet that would save my day and alleviate my confusion. I wanted to be one of you, saying "I'm stable and healing!!" The tummy fiber and tea are really beneficial, though, and I'm thankful to have found them.

I won't give up, but I'm tired

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: confusion and depression over IBS diet new
      #310680 - 07/07/07 01:02 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Have you been tested for gluten intolerance or had a gastroscopy to see that you don't have any food intolerance related problems or inflammation going on?

Also, (and this might not be appreciated here since this is the EFI board) we are all different and you have to find what works for you. The EFI advice is good for me, but I know people with IBS who follow very different rules since that happens to be what works for them. For example I know a woman who keeps carbs to a minimum and says she feels so much better then. I guess it's just the usual thing - no rule without exceptions.

I hope someone here will be able to help you more. And I hope you'll find a way to feel better soon.

I hope no one found what I have written here offensive. I hope you all agree that although we are many here who have found the EFI really useful there are always exceptions and it might not be right for all people.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310686 - 07/07/07 03:27 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

If you take a look at the SF Foods List you'll find that there are other "safe" foods that are not bread, cracker, and white rice etc.

#310695 - 07/07/07 05:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It sounds to me like pressure and gas from eating too fast and it not working its way through the esophagus. You don't have to have heartburn to be bothered by this. Sometimes when I eat too quickly I have sharp pain up high. If you don't have lower ab pain I don't see how it can be from 'normal' IBS bloating.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#311012 - 07/11/07 11:05 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

1) How long have you been diagnosed with IBS?
2) What tests were you given?
-Coloscopy?
-Lactose breathe?
-I know there others, some people will probably bring them forward.
3) Are you new to the IBS diet and treatment?

If so, please let us know how you determined you had IBS, what tests you received.
I am certain somebody here can see if you need another test and if not, if you are new, honestly it just may take some time to settle.
The first days can be the worst.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#311055 - 07/12/07 11:52 AM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Somewhat briefly-

I've been diagnosed for over 10 years-every test I've had is normal-and the most annoying thing (apart from not being able to improve my condition) is how randomly the symptoms come and go. (Bloating with-C always; I think I've had D maybe twice in my lifetime!-and, unlike other IBS women, I welcome my period-because I can sometimes go to the bathroom more and get relief)

I can be bloated and in pain for days-weeks at a time no matter what I do-or eat, and then-presto-a clear day or two.
For instance, for ages now, ever since finding this website, I've eaten virtuously-small amounts, the fastidious right foods, the correct SF, and yesterday I bloated all to hell.

I was running around with the kids all day, as usual, -and at the end of it, my husband and I were starving for a full meal-(to be bloated and starving-so weird) and the only place still open was a burrito place. I said to myself-"I'm not going to eat a burrito-why, exactly? I'm already so bloated-what's the difference?"

So, caution to the winds-(no pun...) I had a HUGE burrito, tofu and shrimp, cheese and all. DELICIOUS! And today-the bloat is gone! I don't get it! (I wouldn't risk another burrito anytime soon-they're enormously fattening) but my point is-there's no rhyme or reason whatsoever to my IBS. Sometimes eating a large meal can cause it-sometimes eating too much at once can actually relieve it!

I just want to get rid of this unpredictable bloating. It can suddenly get so bad I can hardly breathe, or concentrate on anything else. Heather describes a spasm followed by shut down. That shutdown can last 2-3 days for me. And Nothing seems to stop that sequence of events from happening at random. Not tummy tea, not SF, or IF, or exercise, or rest, or anything, with the exception of a certain bowel cleanse not meant to be taken on a daily basis.

I tried it on the advice of a friend, who took it twice a year as directed, and I got so thrilled with the results that I took it daily for 2 years! I had daily BMs and no gas, but everything was going through me so fast, I was weak and anaemic and my hair was falling out (and I believe the black cohosh caused a miscarriage-but I could wear a variety of clothes that fit dammit, and didn't suffer IBS symptoms!) That's how bad it's been, and although I've always had C, the bloating's getting worse.

AND I HATE WEARING STRETCHYPANTS ALL THE TIME!!

Next week I'm going to see my GI and ask for a breath test. Everything else has checked out "normal".

-SIGH-

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2425

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review