All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
fiber supplements painful
      #310658 - 07/07/07 10:04 AM
badtzjack

Reged: 05/08/07
Loc: NEW YORK

i have suspected that fiber supplements of any kind, including Acacia, can be painful when the dose is increased. i take Acacia 3 times daily, 1/2 teaspoon every 6 hours. if i increase it, it makes me go in the evening with painful results, so i dropped it back to the above dose. even so, i go all morning, and at the very least i think taking fiber causes stomach upset and perhaps jerking of muscles. it also rushes along the stool, acting like a laxative even though its not supposed to be. no one has brought up so far that the fiber isn't upsetting, so i assume that it must be so. i just wish i could eat souble fiber foods and plenty of tea and be done with it, and exclude the fiber supplements altogether. it's a confusing situation, and i wish i knew if dropping it to 1/4 teaspoon would be better and less upsetting.

Edited by jenrebecca34 (07/07/07 10:06 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fiber supplements painful new
      #310661 - 07/07/07 10:20 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Did you slowly work your way up to 1/2 teaspoon 3 times a day or did you start like that?
The container says to start off with 1/2 teaspoon 2 times a day, but many find that too high and start with 1/4 teaspoon 2 times a day. After about 1 week, then your increase your dose by 1/4 total. Then after another week, increase your dose by 1/4 teaspoon total.

If you take too much, too fast of any fibre supplement then you will end up with pain, bloating, cramping, and going to the bathroom too much.

Re: fiber supplements painful new
      #310662 - 07/07/07 10:31 AM
badtzjack

i started at 1/2 teaspoon 2 times daily, then increased to the 3 after a week. when another week went by, i tried 4 times, and had a bowel movement too painful. i dropped the dose back again to 3 times. would it be safe after all this time (1 month) to decrease it to 1/4 teaspoon 3 times daily? i really don't want to go more than once a day. if i go in the evening, it's too sudden and too painful. at least in the morning i'm prepared for sny pain coming on and try to handle it.

I don't use fiber supplements new
      #310663 - 07/07/07 10:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I don't take any fiber supplements because they give me too much gas. Instead I eat oatmeal for breakfast and at least one serving (1/2 cup) of rice, pasta or potatoes that has been cooled and slightly reheated with lunch and supper. These foods contain resistant starch which acts like SF but it does not produce as much gas.

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: I don't use fiber supplements new
      #310664 - 07/07/07 10:37 AM
badtzjack

i eat pasta, bananas, PF plain bagels, skinless thin chicken breast, and organic carrots. would the pasta allow me to have a bowel movement the same as the fiber? would simply following the soluble fiber in foods work better and be less painful than taking the fiber supplement?

#310665 - 07/07/07 10:43 AM
Syl

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

I am IBS-D and I don't use any supplements of any kinds. I control my IBS simply with my diet. Pasta, semi-ripe bananas and bagels contain resistant starches as well as SF. If you are IBS-C then you may need to increase the amount IF you have in you diet.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#310666 - 07/07/07 10:47 AM
badtzjack

actually, i'm IBS-A, and i'm just plain scared to add any IF into my diet. what if i hurt worse than i'm hurting now? i'm trying to get my "soreness" down, and i don't want to aggravate it anymore than possible. i know i should be having some IF, but i don't find it possible right now to try. this is not a good thing to do, but i really am badly afraid.

#310668 - 07/07/07 10:56 AM
Syl

If you are IBS-A and you find IF is a problem then try to avoid high IF foods. I know I have to be very careful of how much IF I have in my diet. I was IBS-A for a long time until I figured out I was sensitive to foods with a high amount of fructose such as apples, pears, manago, melons and their juices.

--------------------

#310670 - 07/07/07 11:09 AM
badtzjack

what are the low IF foods? and will they be painful if eaten in small amounts? i would like to start eating broccoli again, and frozen organic vegetebles.

#310671 - 07/07/07 11:17 AM
Syl

Here is a link to a list of high SF foods. Unfortunately broccoli is not on the list.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review