All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cancer and IBS
      #310637 - 07/06/07 06:48 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

So this is probably way not the right place to post this, and I am sorry for that ahead of time. BUt I was diagnosed with breast cancer today, I am only 25 and am concerned about how the treatment and drugs will affect my IBS. Has anyone had cancer and IBS here and in particular Breast cancer and IBS? I used to be IBS C but am now more IBS A leaning towards stable thanks to the fiber.

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cancer and IBS new
      #310638 - 07/06/07 06:59 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

That's very difficult news, and I'm sorry. It's not terribly helpful but my sister, a fellow IBS sufferer, was the same age when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and to be honest, the treatment was such that her body was dealing with troubles on all levels and the IBS faded in importance. She doesn't post here but I'll see if I can get more info out of her. The good news though - she's healthy again. All the best.

#310642 - 07/06/07 10:12 PM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

well, I can't help you on this one, but I do hope they caught your cancer early and you do well with your treatments.
God Bless You

Terry

#310645 - 07/07/07 04:25 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Don't have any useful tips for you. Just want to say you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry you have to battle cancer and at such a young age.

With wishes of a quick recovery,

Ulrika, IBS-D

#310656 - 07/07/07 10:00 AM
melinda413

Loc: Findlay, OH

Thanks for the best wishes, I just know that when my stomache is acting up it's hard to concentrate on anything else feeling good or getting better. That's why I'm worried about it, the stress from finding out is already causing havoc. How does everyone handle somehting this stressful with ibs?

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#310746 - 07/09/07 06:12 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Unfortunately, I like everyone else have no solid advice to give you. But do know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know it is very hard but try to alleviate the stress as much as you can.

#310778 - 07/09/07 12:30 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 42 and had lots of treatment. I didn't have IBS at the time but my experience was that different drugs affected my GI tract differently - some caused C, some caused D. There's just no way to know until you go through it. Be sure to discuss your GI concerns with your oncologist. Having intestinal problems during chemo is not unusual and my experience is that oncologists are very committed to doing everything they can to alleviate any symptoms from treatment.

I wish you all the best with this. It's terrifying I know and must be even more so since you're so young. Hang in there, get second opinions if that would make you feel more comfortable, do what your doctors say, and let friends and family help out as much as possible.

Please let us know how you're doing.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#310781 - 07/09/07 12:55 PM
IBSHell

Loc: Connecticut

I too send my best thoughts and wishes. My mom recently went through breast cancer and is just now approaching 5 years. I'm sure your stomach will be affected differently by what treatment they recommend. If they caught it soon enough, they might not do chemo. My mom had a lumpectomy and radiation. She did have stomach issues right after surgery due to the little moving around she did. It was rough, but I don't think as bad as she thought.

I would stay focused on finding out how much you can so that your treatment is less unknown and therefore, scary. I would also use alternative treatments (hypnotherapy, acupunture) as much as you can to help control anxiety. Hang in there. Post any and all questions you have as they arise. There are so many wonderful people with great advice or wonderful support to offer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review