Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How many of you exercise?
      #310552 - 07/05/07 10:32 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hello everyone!
So I used to be IBS-D, now I am pretty much an A... and sometimes I am regular. But lately my main symptoms seem to be not going to the bathroom too much in the morning, feeling pretty good all day... then after dinner I get bloated, a little naseous and very very gassy with horrible smelling gas. I try to go to the bathroom and not much comes out.
I saw an accupuncturist a few months back. I talked to him about taking herbs, and cutting certain foods out of my diet. Basically he told me all I need to do is avoid dairy, eat mostly cooked warm foods, and exercise a lot. He told me that what happens with digestive issues like mine is the "chi"/energy from being anxious and stressed gets trapped in my digestive track and really messes me up. Anxiety and stress create a lot of energy that has nowhere to go and thats why it attacks the digestive track. He told me that exercise moves the chi around and thus the energy does not get trapped there.
I got really into exercising for a few weeks and felt much better. Then I got stressed, lazy, and my symptoms began to flare up again. I know I need to exercise more, not only because it may help my IBS, but also because you can never go wrong from exercising. But I get so lazy!
So my question to all ya'll is how many of you exercise? How do you feel it has benefitted you? Have you noticed differences in your IBS symptoms from when you exercise and when you don't exercise?
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many of you exercise? new
      #310554 - 07/06/07 12:32 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi there! At the moment i don't exercise but in the past i have done. I used to do an hour's walking a day and found that it really helped my IBS. Then i started running for 30 mins a day, 3 times a week instead of walking and i found that it actually irritated my IBS which i don't really understand. However, i'd like to get back to walking regularly as my IBS has been pretty bad recently and i think personally it'd really help me; not so sure about the running though...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#310565 - 07/06/07 05:47 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi there,

I am a very active person and exercise a lot. However, having IBS can sometimes complicate the matter. For example, I am a long-distance runner, and this can aggravate my symptoms because it makes my body want to "go" more (I'm a D ). As an A, however, exercise would probably be really beneficial. I find that walking helps with gas after dinner, and if I'm having a bad D day, instead of running I often bike or use an elliptical at the gym. I also make sure I lift weights to keep a balance. And I just got into yoga -- I highly recommend it!! Not only does it give you a solid workout, but its great for stress relief . As with anything, slowly introduce the exercise and then continue to increase your level/amount as you get more confident and feel better. Hope that helps!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#310566 - 07/06/07 05:56 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I think exercising is one of the greatest things. I have participated in competitive sports my entire life and it has always made me feel better. It releives my stress, makes me feel like i am accomplishing something and many times it helps to get things moving bowel wise! I have even run a half marathon and was never in such great shape.

I would stick with it even if you have a day or so that you dont feel to great. It will help in the long run.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#310569 - 07/06/07 06:23 AM
Mrs. K

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Hawaii (Oahu)

I do not vigourously exercise. I have found that if I walk with a friend for 45 minutes a day or bike for 30 my symptoms are alot better. I too get really lazy sometimes and notice some of the same symptoms you are describing. If I leave it to myself I would probably never exercise, having someone to exercise with really helps me stay motivated and commited.

--------------------
Aloha

regular swimming, bicycling, walking and gardening -nt- new
      #310570 - 07/06/07 06:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#310571 - 07/06/07 06:31 AM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I honestly could not imagine what my life would be like if I did not exercise. It helps me to relieve stress and helps me to feel better overall. If you are not exercising currently, I highly recommend you begin; you will notice a HUGE difference in the way you feel.

#310573 - 07/06/07 06:36 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Unfortunately the only thing that seems pretty much risk free for me is walking at a moderate pace. I want to exercise more. I want to do cardio and weight training et.c. I want to use my body!!! So, he said exercise moves the chi around. Well maybe that is true. Unfortunately for me, having IBS-D, medium-intense exercise gets a lot more than chi moving... I wish I could do it more, but for me it's not worth risking other things in life - like being able to go out for a walk or go grocery shopping, go home to my parents et.c. Once I get help with my sphincter control problem though I plan to try to find a balance where I can get as much exercise as possible without causing too much of a problem, since exercising is healthy. But right now I'm too dependent on the bowels behaving well to want to experiment.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Welshsarah -what type of IBS do you have? -nt- new
      #310574 - 07/06/07 06:43 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

#310575 - 07/06/07 06:51 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I started exercising regularly a few months ago, and I find that it does make a small difference. Without exercise my bowels move more sluggishly, and exercise makes things a little more regular. I do cardio about 5 days a week and try to fit in weight training once or twice a week, but usually end up slacking there.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#310602 - 07/06/07 11:08 AM
GeorgiaGal

Reged: 06/11/07
Loc: Georgia

I exercise at least 3 times a week. I'm IBS-D every morning, so I exercise after work in my basement. It helps me emotionally and physically it moves a lot of gas...that's why I exercise at home ~ LOL!

The Walk Away the Pounds DVD's are wonderful if you're interested in starting a program that's easy to do in the safety of your home.

--------------------
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. -William Gladstone

#310649 - 07/07/07 06:29 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I exercise at least 4 times a week, combining cardio and wt lifting. Besides IBS-D, I was dx with rheumatoid arthritis many years ago. Exercise is essential for me, as I have two small children to keep up with. I find that my IBS symptoms (and RA symptoms) are worse when I don't exercise. I also noticed that I have less discomfort in the evenings if I move around after dinner. Exercise is good for so many things: strength, endurance, balance, flexibility, decreased risk for injury, decreased depression symptoms, etc. The trick is to find the exercise that works for you. For example, I can't do any high impact activity because of my joint issues, so running is not for me. So I recommend it highly, just tailor it to your needs, and start slowly!

Hope this helps.

Re: Welshsarah -what type of IBS do you have? -nt- new
      #310752 - 07/09/07 07:14 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Ulrika, i have IBS-C.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#310816 - 07/09/07 05:09 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

I exercize about 5 times a week. I "run" around in circles in my pool in the warm months (I live in the midwest); it's a great workout and it feels like you are running on the moon. During winter I lift weights and walk on my treadmill. I get totally bored with the treadmill by the end of winter, but it really helps the tum. I also frequently do stretching in the evening.

#310817 - 07/09/07 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I exercise hard 6 days a week but my chi is still messed up and causes me alot of bloating. Exercise does help a great deal though.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks for all the input! :) new
      #310893 - 07/10/07 06:52 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

And keep it coming! I think I will go to the gym tonight, I am so tired but am trying to motivate. I am feeling really bloated, hopefully this will help. I have also noticed lately that my muscles are not strong at all, kinda getting a little soft! I am pretty skinny, so I don't look chubby or anything, but I would love to be stronger. Exercise is amazing, it's just so hard to motivate sometimes!!

Re: Welshsarah -what type of IBS do you have? -nt- new
      #311010 - 07/11/07 11:01 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I exercise four to five times a week.

I run for 15 minutes one day, that time will increase as I get adjusted, and then jog three more times for five minutes on the other days.

I do a weightlifting workout before or after.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2733

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review