All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sleeping
      #310461 - 07/05/07 08:09 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

I am having difficulty sleeping because I wake up at the same time everyday 6:00 regardless of what time I go to sleep at night. I almost feel like this diet makes you OCD in a way and this may be causing my sleep issue. Anyone else have a similar situation?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sleeping new
      #310463 - 07/05/07 08:24 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Andrew, yeah i feel like this diet makes me OCD which is why i'm reluctant to follow it. At the moment i'm not following it as don't want it to stress me out but my IBSC has been so bad recently that i'm tempted to risk becoming obsessive and try the diet out. I sympathise with your sleeping problem as often if i've had a particularly bad bout of IBSC then my mind's over-active thinking about how i can solve it and stop it from happening again. That's the annoying thing about iBS- it's a viscious circle as the more one stresses about it the worse it gets. Very frustrating.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#310464 - 07/05/07 08:24 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have had the same problem all of my life. I know it is not related to IBS. I find the early awakening issue a real problem when I travel and change time zones

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#310526 - 07/05/07 04:25 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How do you obsess over the diet? All you need to do is stay away from known triggers, and play around with the IF and SF quantities. If you're C, make sure you eat more IF with a SF base. If you're D you still need to eat IF with a SF base, but not quite as much IF as a C person. Other than that, the diet's really not bad or restrictive. Another thing to remember is that there is no cure for IBS. You WILL have some bad days between a lot of good ones when you are stable.

Edited by Gracie (07/05/07 04:26 PM)

#310528 - 07/05/07 04:37 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Wow, you make it sound so easy. Unfortunately, I follow the diet as closely as possible and still have lots of gas, abdominal pain, and generally unexpected behavior of my intestines. I eat something I think is safe and I react to it. I have eliminated so much from my diet and it is really frustrating. Not only have I taken out dairy, but I have also eliminated soy due to gas problems (and migraines). Lately I have eliminated gas producing foods like beans, onions, bananas, brocolli, etc, and I still get uncomfortable, painful gas every day.

It is definitely a struggle for some of us to find food we can eat and not suffer. Food does occupy a lot of my thoughts lately. If I could get to that stable point I'm sure it would be easier to not focus so much on it, but I'm just not there yet.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#310545 - 07/05/07 08:19 PM
Gracie

Well, I've had IBS my whole life, so if something goes wrong I try not to get upset about it. I try to roll with it. For example, in the past, I upped my probiotics too fast, so I spend the next few days with a lot of bloating, gas, and frequent trips to the bathroom. Instead of getting upset and freaking out about it, I drank some extra fennel tea, and thought "Wow, I won't do that again."

Have you eliminated all trigger foods, or are you sneaking them in sometimes? For me, it was coffe and cream. Perhaps you can give us a sample menu of your typical day so we can see if there's something there that might bother you. Plus I might be wrong about this, but I think people who've had their gallbladder out have a tougher time with IBS.

Edited by Gracie (07/05/07 08:20 PM)

#310548 - 07/05/07 08:37 PM
Gracie

One more thing. I don't mean to make it sound too easy. There are some people on here who have taken over a year experimenting with their diet to stablize, and Cers do tend to take longer too. My point is that you need to persevere and not worry too, too much over the right amount of IF and SF. It can be frustrating, but don't beat yourself up over it.

the diet new
      #310553 - 07/06/07 12:27 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

It's great that you have such a positive and relaxed attitude towards your IBS. I'm trying to get there... This board and website are really helpful so hopefully i'll get there in the end. When following Heather's diet are you (and others) really strict about it and don't eat any of the trigger foods at all? OR are you able to following Heather's diet 80% of the time and the other 20& be more chilled about it without it causing your IBS to flare up?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: the diet new
      #310618 - 07/06/07 02:42 PM
Gracie

To get stable you really should be very strict with the diet. Once you're stable you can try to experiment to see what your boundaries are, but I have to say if I ever stray and have triggers like ice cream, milk, cheese, or coffee, I end up paying for it afterwards. GI irritants like dairy and coffee you should really stay away from those permanently.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review