All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Opinions on this....
      #310397 - 07/04/07 09:29 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

i was doing really well for a week, couldnt remember the last time i had one full week without an attack. Anyway, on Saturday i ate a very ripe nectarine on an empty stomach and i have violent D almost immediately after eating the fruit and it carried on to the next day as well. I had no choice but to take immodium to stop the cramping.

any thoughts on this?
thanks
MBH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Opinions on this.... new
      #310411 - 07/04/07 01:38 PM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

The problem here is an empty stomach. You ate IF on an empty stomach and your bowels disagreed with that Never eat IF on an empty stomach and always in combination with SF.

Sorbitol new
      #310413 - 07/04/07 02:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Nectarines, apricots, pears, peaches, plums and some other fruits contain a sugar called sorbitol. This sugar is known to produce D even in non-IBS individuals.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Sorbitol new
      #310419 - 07/04/07 03:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm not so sure about that. I'm IBS-A and since the good weather began I've been eating those fruits all the time without getting D.

#310424 - 07/04/07 04:10 PM
Syl

I am glad to hear you can eat these fresh fruits. I wish I could. Of course the amount of any sugar including sorbitol in a given fruit depends on a number of factors including growing conditions and the variety of fruit.

The most important factor is the sensitivity of each individual to the various simple sugars. For example, some IBS suffers cannot chew a stick of gum containing sorbitol without getting problems. A stick of gum contains a tiny amout of sorbitol compared to a nectarine. If you happen to be sensitive to small amounts of sorbitol and you eat a whole nectarine on an empty stomach you will feel the effects quickly and strongly.

Gracie perhaps you are lucky and you are not particularly sensitive to sorbitol.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#310427 - 07/04/07 04:55 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Granted if someone has a sensitivity to it then yes I agree it can be a problem. I thought you were making a general statement about those fruits, and that's where I disagreed.
Next time, the poster could try to eat a nectarine with some SF to see if it makes any difference. If not, then she may have a sorbitol sensitivity.

#310475 - 07/05/07 09:54 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

thanks for the replies

is there a test for Sorbitol intolerance?

MBH

#310485 - 07/05/07 10:31 AM
Syl

Yes - there is a sorbitol malabsorption. Also, sorbitol affects fructose absorption from the GI tract too. You can read about it in this article.

A recent study showed that less than 10% of IBS suffers and those with functional bowel complaints absorb the sugars sorbitol, fructose and lactose normally.

Reference
Goldstein, R., D. Braverman, and H. Stankiewicz, 2000: Carbohydrate Malabsorption and the Effect of Dietary Restriction on Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Functional Bowel Complaints. Israel Medical Association Journal, 2.

--------------------

#310519 - 07/05/07 04:08 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with Gracie that your problem was most likely eating IF without an SF base. I can eat any fruit I want as long as I make sure I've got some SF in my system. Next time try eating your nectarine after having some SF or - even safer especially until you've been on the diet a little longer - try it as dessert after lunch.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review