All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this going to work for me?
      #310384 - 07/04/07 06:36 AM
karlee

Reged: 07/04/07

I have been suffering with IBS constipation for many years. I have been on this diet now for 2 1/2 months and am disappointed that I am not seeing any improvement and may actually be worse. I am taking 5 tbsp of Heathers Tummy Fiber daily (I believe that is the max), which I have increased gradually. I drink the fennel tea. I have always drank alot of water and exercised regularly but have increased both ( I exercise 6 days a week,including cardio, weights and yoga). Many of the trigger foods I have never eaten very much of in the past, but I have eliminated them. The information on the website mentions that improvement can take longer if your problem is chronic or severe, but I would think that would be a given. At this point I am getting discouraged. I do not enjoy cooking but have bought the recipe book and followed the diet carefully. I am concerned that it is going to get expensive now that I am taking so much of the acacia fiber. I have already spent several thousand dollars on homeopathic treatments. I did not expect to be cured in this amount of time but my understanding is that I should be seeing some improvement and shouldn't be more constipated. In addition I am gaining weight from this diet(even though you are not supposed to) and that never helps. Does anyone have any advise for me or should I move on? And please don't just say it takes longer for some people, if it is going to work I shouldn't be worse.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this going to work for me? new
      #310386 - 07/04/07 07:08 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

Do you take enough IF, because if you take that much acacia there should be a very big amount of IF to compensate for IBS-C.

I agree with Natalia82 new
      #310394 - 07/04/07 08:37 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have IBS-D myself so I am very careful not to get too much IF but those who have IBS-C need more IF. Don't eat more IF than SF foods but try to increase the IF portion of your food. This would mean more veggies and fruit for example and that should also help you to not gain more weight. I really hope it will work for you.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310399 - 07/04/07 09:59 AM
karlee

I'm not sure if I am getting enough IF. I usually have some with lunch and dinner but I also need to have enough SF and protein. Why does taking more acacia create the need for eating more IF?

#310410 - 07/04/07 01:36 PM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

Because its SF, and we IBS-C need a lot of IF to counterbalance the SF so to speak. You really need to go and up your intake of IF, but slowly! IBS-C needs IF with almost anything they eat, so a balance of both everytime. I must say i find it hard to, i am still finding the balance, but every time i take too little IF i get C again.

#310414 - 07/04/07 02:08 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I understand your frustration; I was there too when I first began the diet. However, once you learn the balance of IF and SF that works best for you, you WILL feel better. It just takes time and experimenting. I am also a C and I eat fruit and veggies and every meal along with a SF. I still have bouts of C, but not as often or as bad as they used to be. Just keep up with the diet and add more fruits and veggies safely to you diet to begin- try pureeing them to start in fruit smooties or veggie soups. It will get better.

#310417 - 07/04/07 03:04 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Insoluble Fibre information

SF creates the bulk, IF pushes it out faster.

#310432 - 07/04/07 05:49 PM
karlee

Thanks everybody, I will try more IF.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1037 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review