Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
could use your guidance ppl... dont want to keep sliping
      #310335 - 07/03/07 02:06 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

WARNING WORDS LONGEST POST AHEAD!!!!
hiya, i havent been on here for a while- mainly because with a new job etc, life was going good and ibs ok- i went on holiday a couple of weeks ago and with the help a few doses of immodium i led a perfectly normal holiday, fine the whole time except a few stomach pains. i didnt used to take so many immodium, but on holiday took 2 every other day, but this did allow me to spluge a little as well.
anyway since i have been back not so good, at first i was on my period but the last week i still dont feel right. i tried to cut down my fibre (i am ibs-d but think i was taking too much- 1/2 tsp twice a day and 1/4 tsp at night- i thought id experiment to see if changing this effected it, but not sure if to increase!!!!) which did help a little but also now im taking 1 dose (2 tablets) of immodium every 3 days (i took some sat and been fine until this morning, so will prob take some tom am), around twice a week, which i feel is quite excessive? its not really bad attacks- this morning just had tummy ache and 2 loose stools. i am just finding it hard this week as me n my partner are buying a house and so we;ve been spending all freetime searching etc and i just cant b bothered to cook and exercise- too tired! i know thats no excuse! what do you guys think is more important to ibs- diet or exercise? i did 2 lots of exercise last week, but i know i should do more (not overweight, but to be healthy) and i feel v. guilty! but its like tonight i was planning to go to the gym after work but im so tired and havent done any food shopping- so i dont know how to prioritise!
i wish i could fit it all in.
the only good point is since hypno i dont get sad when i have an ibs attack anymore, i doesnt bother me as much- but thats kinda bad cos i think oh well doesnt matter what i eat etc!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: could use your guidance ppl... dont want to keep sliping new
      #310337 - 07/03/07 04:50 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

For me stress is probably the biggest trigger. Since you have IBS-D you might need to take it easy with the exercising. Moderate exercise is good but intense exercising stimulates the bowels and can cause loose stools.

You should definitely watch what you eat and try to get some exercise though. That the attacks don't get to you the same way after the hypno is great but it's probably still a good idea to follow the IBS diet rules if you want to avoid attacks.

Did you feel 2 tablets of Imodium twice a week is excessive? Don't worry. Just do what works for you. I take loperamide (same substance as in Imodium) daily and that is my life saver. Have been on it for 20 months I think and gradually increased the dose to 8 mg a day. Since getting more stable which was in early March last year I have stuck to that dose and have even had to decrease it to 4 mg a day for shorter of longer periods. I know there are people who talk about tolerance development but I haven't noticed any problems like that at all. However for me it's best to keep the dose constant as much as possible and not change dose back and forth from one day to the next. It's individual...

Hang in there! And good luck with the house hunting.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310341 - 07/03/07 06:33 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

thanks ulrika- will try and follow your advice- what do you think is best things like swiming, walking, yoga etc???
yeah i think life would be ok if i could take the immodium, but it worries me- i dont like being on medication, but guess should stop beating myself up about it!

#310348 - 07/03/07 07:43 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I think all the types of exercise you mentioned are good. It's all very gentle. I have to watch it though - even powerwalking pushing myself a bit to keep the speed up can cause an imbalance in my bowels. Yoga is great!

Don't beat yourself up about the Imodium. It's safe for long term use. It doesn't cause tolerance in general, and I'd say most physicians would let you take it regularly even during pregnancy if you need it. (There isn't enough knowledge to say it's safe during pregnancy with 100% guarantee but the only thorough study that has been done says it's ok to use it, and in fact even the doctor at "socialstyrelsen" which is the Swedish national department that monitors drug safety, health et.c. there is no risk using it during pregnancy.) So don't worry about it. Of course you should try to always take the minimum dose that keeps your symptoms under control but that pretty much goes without saying. Chances are, if you use it you will feel much better and then you'll feel less anxiety and stress which will probably lead to calming the IBS down even more.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 574

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review