All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I know people are quick to say search the boards but...
      #310266 - 07/02/07 08:35 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I have searched the boards and I still have questions!! I have heard both good and bad things about doing detox cleanses. Now most people claim that cleansin rids the body of unwanted elements. This makes sense to me. I've heard that the intestines can store crap that really should have come out, but it hasn't. So cleansing makes sense to me. Now, because we are IBSers many are saying not to do it. But how do we rid out bodies of these unwanted elements?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Merely a sales pitch ... new
      #310270 - 07/02/07 09:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Our bodies are quite capable of getting rid of unwanted elements - whatever those may be - by itself without the intervention of cleansing. The notion that cleansing gets rid of so called 'unwanted elements' is a fabrication of companies that sell cleansing products which in general are nothing but strong laxatives. AND if you have IBS then for sure you want to stay way from all strong laxatives unless prescribed by your doctor.

There is an article on the NYU Medical School web site Colon Cleansing: Don't Be Misled by the Claims about the perils and false claims about colon cleansing.
Good luck.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: I know people are quick to say search the boards but... new
      #310275 - 07/02/07 10:20 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Probiotics help to replenish the good bacteria in your gut. You can try that instead of cleansing.

Re: Merely a sales pitch ... new
      #310283 - 07/02/07 12:19 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

thanks for the info...

which probiotics are good to take?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#310307 - 07/02/07 02:13 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Pud,

I feel your frustration, I love that this IBS board is available, but my own experience I have found it not to be user friendly, if I didn't have pop up blocker, it block a pop everytime I have to hit he back button, 20 to 30 at times, I type in key words and don't get a lot of posts....I do know there is a page that has a lot of ideas of quick snacks on the go, I think it's in one of the initial posts when you first sign on to the message board, like for new people etc. Hope that helps

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: Great post, Syl. new
      #310314 - 07/02/07 02:37 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thanks for getting to the point and providing a link to an article.

Re: Merely a sales pitch ... new
      #310331 - 07/02/07 09:40 PM
Gracie

Each person responds differently to different probiotics. Some you can try are, Bio-K Plus, Primal Defence, Flora Q, Jarrowdophilus, Pearls from Enzymatic Therapy. There's more that others use on here but these seem to be the more common ones.
You must give the probiotics at least 90 days to start seeing a difference. It's not an overnight transition.

#310349 - 07/03/07 07:50 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Those commercials are enticing. I asked my GI doc about it. I was worried I had built up matter, not so much toxins in themselves. He said since I occassionally had D it would be impossible to have stuff that would never come out. I did do the phospho soda though, which is what you take before a colonoscopy. I had my normal amount of stool come out and then water. That showed me that there was nothing trapped in there. I would love to believe it but it isn't true. It is a falacy that things get built up due to slow digestion and then leak toxins. As Heather says somewhere on this site, we want our digestion to be slow and easy and free of cramps and impulses. There is nothing wrong with it moving along regularly and slowly. We don't want to send things from the mouth out as fast as possible and that is the vibe some of the propaganda portrays.
I can't imagine you found anyone stable and experienced recommending cleanses on a board search. Even the laxative teas are harmful. Just because these cleanses have umpteen natural components doesn't mean they are safe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Probiotics... Re: Merely a sales pitch ... new
      #310558 - 07/06/07 12:53 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I find that probiotics make me feel worse, is this normal? To be fair, i've only taken them for a few days in a row but quite soon after taking them i get a bad stomach and often a bit sick.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Probiotics... Re: Merely a sales pitch ... new
      #310610 - 07/06/07 02:08 PM
Gracie

It is normal not to feel too good for the first week or two. That's called the die off period. You need to give probiotics at leat 90 days to start seeing a difference. It's not a magic pill, it's not a cure, but it can really help you and lessen your symptoms. Also probiotics are different from one another so one might not work great for you, but the other one might.

Edited by Gracie (07/06/07 02:13 PM)

Probiotics Research new
      #310611 - 07/06/07 02:12 PM
Gracie

Here is a link to research done for probiotics. By the way many medical doctors are now telling their patients to take probiotics after they take a round of antibiotics.

Edited by Gracie (07/06/07 02:51 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1469

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review